Apple Lawsuit Bans HTC Android Handsets In U.S.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, they have ACTUALLY patented something, they're losing money on it thanks to people copying their ideas, and you guys actually see Apple as the bad guy here.

...ooooh weeeell.

this.

i remember when creative was suing apple when the ipod first came out and no one came to their defense.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

So, they have ACTUALLY patented something, they're losing money on it thanks to people copying their ideas, and you guys actually see Apple as the bad guy here.

...ooooh weeeell.
Blame the entire US patent system for allowing corporations to patent such trivial and insignificant things.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe fruitfarmers should sue apple for using an apple as logo!?
Maybe McDonalds should sue apple for using the word Mac.

Maybe the world should sue Mars for not being inhabited by little green men.

Heck maybe the Milkyway galaxy should sue Milky way for stealing the name on choclate bars!

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe fruitfarmers should sue apple for using an apple as logo!?
Maybe McDonalds should sue apple for using the word Mac.

Maybe the world should sue Mars for not being inhabited by little green men.

Heck maybe the Milkyway galaxy should sue Milky way for stealing the name on choclate bars!

beatles sued apple for using an apple as a logo

mcdonald's routinely sues small companies the have word mac in them

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ಠ_ಠ
That is what I say to you Apple. I will not buy your freaking over-priced iPhone no matter how hard you try to crush the Android Market, I would sooner buy a Windows phone than buy an iPhone.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/apples-first-major-legal-win-against-android-is-no-slam-dunk.ars

Calm yourselves, guys, the ban hasn't hit yet, and HTC's removing what Apple bitched about. So nothing will really happen. Apple shouldn't've won, but oh well, in the long run, it's nothing special. Not like they're able to win elsewhere in the world.

Puregamer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I actually applaud apple for this, they're taking a stand against companies that are stealing their ideas and patents. If anyone should be to blame, it's the US Government for taking Apples side in this matter. Apple is in no way becoming a monopoly in the phone market, they have more of a monopoly in music devices than phones, which they just started creating in 2007. Plus Apple only has one brand of phones, with only 3 iterations that are still in production. I just feel that what people here are saying is out of rage for how successful apple has become in the past decade. I dislike apple for their cockiness but i must say, they do have the best products compared to anyone, in whatever they make.

Apple invented the smartphone, and everyone else is practically copying it. Most companies have been in the game wayy longer than apple, but apple invented a revolutionary phone on their first try, i would hope that other phone manufacturers could do the same.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

...ooooh weeeell.
Thank you Raul for bringing some rationality to the thread.

Also, this does not mean HTC goes out of business. If you actually read the article it says they are already working on new products that don't violate the patents that were deemed to be violated. With an April deadline I'm sure they'll have plenty of products ready to replace them.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

...ooooh weeeell.
Thank you Raul for bringing some rationality to the thread.

Also, this does not mean HTC goes out of business. If you actually read the article it says they are already working on new products that don't violate the patents that were deemed to be violated. With an April deadline I'm sure they'll have plenty of products ready to replace them.

The problem most people are having is this:
when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said that it was patented to death. Every bit of it.
Why? Because in 1994, Apple tried to sue over Microsoft's use of the GUI and lost. Obviously they don't want to lose again.

The issue is that a lot of these technology patents are extremely vague and/or unused for many years. This particular one was filed in the 90s. Can you really claim IP infringement on a patent that was filed in 1996, granted in 1999, but unused until at least 2007?

That's the issue. The patent system is broken. Courts are being used to stifle innovation. The Android vs iOS rivalry has both OSes taking features from the other. Yet, Apple is the one that sues (and all other companies are suing back to cover their asses).

Reactions: 2 people

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's about to become a monopoly...
correct me if im wrong but isnt monopolizing an industry illegal in the us? (thus is why microsoft split in 2 one for computer one for xbox?) what really amazes me on steve jobs deathbed he vowed to destroy android guess he's doing it from beyond the grave

D

Deleted_171835

when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said that it was patented to death. Every bit of it.
Why? Because in 1994, Apple tried to sue over Microsoft's use of the GUI and lost. Obviously they don't want to lose again.
Well they lost because Microsoft and Apple were both sleazy thieves that stole from Xerox but whatever.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well they lost because Microsoft and Apple were both sleazy thieves that stole from Xerox but whatever.

The point is that Apple is trying to prevent competition by use of unfair methods. (Yes, I'm aware of the whole Xerox thing as well.)
A successful ban on Android will mean the stalling of innovation in the smartphone sector. You can kiss your dream iPhone 5/6/7 bye bye. Windows Phone 7 isn't big enough, and BB is going down the drain. Only Android keeps Apple on the edge.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i wish apple would fuck off back into the corner with their shitty macs that no one bought where they belong.

It's about to become a monopoly...
correct me if im wrong but isnt monopolizing an industry illegal in the us?
appl$ prob patented that too so they can get away with it :rolleyes:

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Madness? THIS. IS. Typical of Apple. Screw you Apple. I'm going to buy one of those HTC phones off of Ebay just to be a rebel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: can troll SylverReZ the following day :)