Apple Claims Android Took Birth Because Of Them

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    In the early 1990s, Android head honcho Andy Rubin worked as a low-level Apple engineer. And that, according Apple's latest ITC filing, is grounds enough for them to potentially block Android in the US.

It sounds far-fetched; the bulk of Android's foundational work was completed in the mid-to-late 90s, when Rubin was at General Magic and Danger (the company Google eventually bought, primarily for the operating system). But while extreme, the reasoning may not be as crazy as it sounds, according to FOSS Patents:

Apple now asserts—in a filing with the ITC, which means Apple has a legal obligation to make truthful representations of fact—that Rubin's superiors at Apple were the inventors of that realtime API patent and he worked for them at the very time they made that invention. He worked as a low-level engineer while the inventors were senior people. It's possible that he then contributed to the implementation of the claimed invention.

The implications of this—other than that Apple is being even more aggressive than previously imagined in its suits against HTC and other Android OEMs—are that if Apple were to sue Google directly over this particular patent, they could conceivably get an injunction. Against the entire platform. As well as lots, and lots, and lots, of money.

That's another case somewhere further down the line, if it happens at all. For now, just know that Apple's bringing in the heavy legal artillery—and they might just have a point.[/p]

[​IMG] Source

[​IMG] Original Source

2. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Sounds more like intellectual property theft.

And who cares if he worked there?
    Even if he contributed to it, it's not like he had access to Apple-only info and such.

3. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    That's Apple for you, I advise them not to make this foolish step, what do they want? Everyone in the world to own a stupid iPhone?? If they DO open this case any day, they'll go down. Google ain't a Joke.

4. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    oh apple just wants more money and publicity

5. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    Boo! They're Prancin with their Bags full of Eyeballs!
    nah serious...
    apple = the devil's advocate...
    simple said as that..if anything does not suit them they sue them

6. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    If they made android, why the fuck are they still using iOS?

7. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    Am I the only one getting bored of company X suing company Y while company Z sues both X and Y etc...

I'm sure I saw a great graph a while ago showing how ridiculous this was all getting.

EDIT: Here's one:

[​IMG]

That was a year ago... probably alot more arrows now [​IMG]

8. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Lol, Apple. What can I say?

9. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    If this was always the case. Why is it only poping up now? If Apple wanted to kill off Android. Wouldn't they have done this back in the 1.x days? I dint see anything happening. At least, I don't see Android being fully blocked. And I it did happy. People would still import phones, so it isn't possible to fully block it

10. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Piss off apple.

Why people revere them as "amazing" and "one of the best" is simply beyond me.

11. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Same here, there's nothing amazing about them. Except for the stunts they pull off by leaving iPhone prototypes in bars lol.

I thought Sony was the worst. But I take that back now, Apple is the worst company to ever exist.

12. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    After having a think, it looks like Apple are trying to clear out the competition. Well, Apple, things have changed. In my opinion, open-source is better. Firefox vs IE. Android vs iOS.

So, Apple, stop trying to kill of the competition. "Android took birth because of us?" Puh-lease.

by the way, samash07 reminded me- love the bar thing lol [​IMG]

13. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Oh Apple, just the 100000000000000000th reason to absolutely hate despise you.

WE NEED A NAYiPHONE ICON!!!

14. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    I agree on the first point (that Android came around because of them), but not the second one.

15. Mr.Mysterio

Member Mr.Mysterio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Qatar
    Haha! This.

I know nothing about patent rules and what not, but according to the source though, Apple could actually get an injunction against android. Please, someone tell me this ain't possible.

16. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Apple knows no one will want an iPhone when the 1.5 ghz quad core snapdragon comes out. Even the dual core is better than what's in the new iphone. So this is Apple's response to sucking in the marketplace

17. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Apple has no ethics.

No company has ethics.

Think about it.

18. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Lol at Nokia

19. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    They can take their ipads and stuff those also. I picked up two hp touchpads for $250. More powerful that the ipad and honeycomb is being ported. If I have a choice between an open or a closed device I'll pick the open every time and screw them for leaving memory card slots out of every device they have ever made.

20. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Here's what I have to say on this: Apple has never been known for creating powerful products. But they do create some of the markets/product first. Before the iPhone was released, what was there as far as smartphones go? The BlackBerry, Windows MObile, and PalmOS. After Apple came out with the iPhone, then the other smartphones with MultiTouch and pretty graphics started showing up.
    While they didn't create this, they were the first company to introduce a GUI-enabled computer to the market. When they released the Lisa, the world balked at them because they thought that the GUI was to kiddish compared to command-line OS's such as DOS. Now look at the world.