Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Well if you want a video of me playing on my iPod Mini, I can make one to prove a point. Although I agree that Apple's domination is annoying, but things like that happen...

holy crap you still have a MINI? that thing is over 100 years old.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what screams "elegant" "cool" "stylish" and "efficient"?
Using your DS as an MP3 player.
I'd rather just not listen to anything than use the DS as a MP3 player.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
You know what screams "elegant" "cool" "stylish" and "efficient"?
Using your DS as an MP3 player.
I'd rather just not listen to anything than use the DS as a MP3 player.
+1

Looking into getting an 120GB Zune. looks good. big screen and crapple dropped the 160GB classic

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
what is with all the apple bashing? the hardware is not that overpriced, in fact in some cases the hardware is almost identically priced, by almost i mean the mac is $10-50usd cheaper, OSX comes with things included that windows users have to pay for, in business they are most certainly the best option for servers (unlimited seat licencing vs microsofts per seat licencing) now they are most definantly more expencive in that market, bitching about warrenty, thats what apple care is for 3 years extended warrenty on all faults, now what happens if your pc hard disk breaks 12months down the line you buy a new one, with apple care its a free repair no matter what breaks and when within the applecare warrenty.

as for hacking tools, bushing for wii uses mac exclusivly infact when he released amoxiflash mac and linux was all it ran on, linux delayed its release slightly

now you might call me an apple fan boy, so i will give my setups to show i use both worlds. right now im on my asus laptop, in my room i have a macbook pro and an iMac, i have an iPhone, i also have a windows mobile device (palm treo 750) and to that i say the palm was nice, but the iphone blows it out of the water in responciveness and ease of use....

i hate itunes, but its constantly getting better, i dont pirate my music i purchase the cds and if i cant get the cd's i buy it on itunes music store (convenience is apples plan here and it is convenient) we have just got the movies store here in australia annd it is good, itunes DRM is a pain but i rip with free rip pro so itunes doesnt get its hands all over my mp3's. as for the IDv3 tags not being preserved i dont know about your experiences with itunes but mine have always been preserved when i burn to disk

/rant

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Musturd said:
Name one thing you want in OSX that is not available on windows (besides the childish ease of use (which you obviously don't need since your planning on building a computer))

There's nothing I particularly want in OSX. What I want is competition in the OS department. OSX being released for the general x86+BIOS would be a good thing, because they would swiftly take market share from Microsoft. Microsoft would have to improve Windows, and things would be better for everyone... (Except Apple. They'd lose out on all the $$$ they get from hawking overpriced hardware.)

Oh, and Littlestevie? Macs are overpriced, and the disparity increases for us build-our-own-PC types. You get considerably more bang-for-your-buck that way. I could build a $600-700 PC that knocks the socks off any $2000-3000 Macintosh.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:
Name one thing you want in OSX that is not available on windows (besides the childish ease of use (which you obviously don't need since your planning on building a computer))

There's nothing I particularly want in OSX. What I want is competition in the OS department. OSX being released for the general x86+BIOS would be a good thing, because they would swiftly take market share from Microsoft. Microsoft would have to improve Windows, and things would be better for everyone... (Except Apple. They'd lose out on all the $$$ they get from hawking overpriced hardware.)

Oh, and Littlestevie? Macs are overpriced, and the disparity increases for us build-our-own-PC types. You get considerably more bang-for-your-buck that way. I could build a $600-700 PC that knocks the socks off any $2000-3000 Macintosh.

Alright, go ahead, build a 700 dollar pc that beats my Mac Pro. Hell, beat the base model.

If you manage to pull it off without stealing the parts I'll paypal you 50 bucks.

www.apple.com/macpro

Beat the base model.

sean0007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DrKupo said:
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:

Alright, go ahead, build a 700 dollar pc that beats my Mac Pro. Hell, beat the base model.

If you manage to pull it off without stealing the parts I'll paypal you 50 bucks.

www.apple.com/macpro

Beat the base model.

I can do it for less than $1300 and beat a mac pro (doesn't even need to be the base model). Also, stop with the pissing and moaning, get OSX86 if you really want a cheap mac (won't be able to update).

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sean0007 said:
DrKupo said:
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:

www.apple.com/macpro

Beat the base model.

I can do it for less than $1300 and beat a mac pro (doesn't even need to be the base model). Also, stop with the pissing and moaning, get OSX86 if you really want a cheap mac (won't be able to update).

he said 700 however. you can't beat 2 quad core processors that are more expensive than his entire budget.

sean0007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DrKupo said:
sean0007 said:
DrKupo said:
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:

www.apple.com/macpro

Beat the base model.

he said 700 however. you can't beat 2 quad core processors that are more expensive than his entire budget.

Ebay to the rescue. I've built 2 macs (not the pros...yet?) from cheap broken ones (a few parts from each and saved hundreds).

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
wtf guys macs are the best computers ever listen to drkupo; he knows his shit
of course!

sry dr kupo
wub.gif

PS:
Kupo, are you emeek77 from youtube? if you don't know him, he's basically worshiping Apple due to small wang

littlestevie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:

I am Talking about out of the box set up and go systems, remember it might be 600-700 but you have to put it together buy the os, and the software that comes with MacOSX and take time to do so, time is money.

go to dell, particularly there laptops... the prices are very similar,

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DrKupo said:
sean0007 said:
DrKupo said:
IBNobody said:
Musturd said:

www.apple.com/macpro

Beat the base model.

The base model only has one XEON processor, not two. I could do a two XEON build for $1300.

(FYI: The $2799 model also includes sales tax. In Texas with the 8.25% tax, the cost is $3030. Buying parts online lets you avoid that tax.)

Note: This PC sucks, by the way. I would never buy it. I don't like servers. I'm a gamer. I would de-emphasize the CPU (Core 2 Quad is great), add extra RAM, and get a better video card. But I'm trying to compare Apples to... Apples for you.

1. Scavenge a case, power supply, drives, cables, etc. from your local used computer store. These things rarely go bad, and you throw money away buying them new. Veteran PC builders have these things sitting around the house. You can get everything you need for about $50-$100. I'll splurge at $100.

2. Video Card - This is just an off-the-cuff thing, but here's the same video card in that base unit (with 512MB of VRAM instead of Apple's 256)...
ATI Radeon 2600XT 512MB for $70

Incidentally, Apple charges you $130 extra to stick an extra 2600XT card in that Power Mac. Ouch! Can we say price gouging?

3. RAM - That Power Mac uses 2GB of DDR2 800 buffered ECC RAM. Right off the bat, you can strike out the ECC. ECC is a waste of money unless you're running some web server 24-7. You don't need error checking, and it also slows down RAM performance.

Here's a Crucial 2GB memory kit with decent CAS latency for $30.
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

Incidentally, Apple charges you $500 for another 2GB of ECC RAM. LOL!

So now we have $500 to find a CPU/MOBO combo.

4. Processor - Here's the equivalent XEON X3360 for $340 (heatsink included):
Intel XEON X3360 2.84Ghz QuadCore

Now I don't agree with that choice. I would never buy a XEON. I would insted prefer to buy a Core 2 Quad or some such. I can get the CPU and the MOBO for $340, and I'd have more flexibility to bargain hunt.

Incidentally, Apple charges you $500 for that processor.

5. Motherboard - We have $140 to buy a motherboard. $140 is tight for a mobo that supports XEON. Off the cuff, I would choose...
Asus P5BV-C, which supports the XEON 3300 series of Quads

This is $145.

6. Operating System - Windows XP - Free. FREE?!?!? Yes. Free. I'm not going to pay for another license of that OS when I have 3 XP disks laying around. If you want to be a stickler, though, you can charge $5. That's what I paid for my last legal and legitimate license of Windows XP Pro.

So there you go... It ended up being $710 just shooting from the cuff. I didn't take advantage of too many mail-in-rebates, and I didn't finesse the price of the CPU or motherboard at all. I know that if I really wanted to, I could easily shave off the extra $10 (or more).

We ended up with a PC that's equivalent to the Power Mac. It doesn't appear to knock the PM's socks off, does it? Well... The dirty little secret is that the much maligned XP runs 10-20% faster than OSX. Don't believe me? Load XP onto your PM using boot camp and bench it.

You may disagree with my choices, and I'm sure you're going to raise hell over #1. (OMG! He's using USED parts!?!?!). Because of that, you don't have to pay me the $50 you promised. I just wanted to show you that you are paying $2300 for something I could make for less. You are being ripped off.

Wouldn't you like it if Apple stopped overcharging you for your hardware? Wouldn't you like to have the thriftiness of a PC and the glamor of OSX?

That's what Psystar was trying to do, in a way. They were undercutting Apple by building their own Macs without the painful markup and then loading OSX onto it. Apple slapped them with a lawsuit, because they knew that their loyal Mac customers would flock to a Mac Clone seller. Fortunately, Psystar is fighting back

If I were you, I'd jump on the "get-Apple-to-abandon-computer-sales-and-stick-to-making-OSX" bandwagon with me.

EDIT: If any of these parts are not compatible with each other, I apologize. It's an off-the-cuff analysis. If I were really buying this PC, I'd spend a month researching and bargain shopping for the perfect parts.

DrKupo

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. The base model has two. Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors. You lose! You also have to buy a case, cables, hd, etc to compete. You just built part of a PC.

In addition to that, you can't pirate the OS. You are trying to BEAT the Mac Pro here, and when I buy a Mac Pro I don't have to steal the OS.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Sinkhead said:
The reason I hate Apple is because they used some random shitty delivery company instead of using Royal Mail. There is a Post Office in pretty much every village. They're there, why not use them?

Most likely they chose that company because it is cheaper, more reliable or perhaps they worked out a deal with them. Sort of like how all the HP stuff gets sent by UPS, and the last few times I checked Nintendo was with FedEX (now that I typed it out, was it Purolator... can't remember now!). I can't imagine them searching up every country and seeing how good their service is across the world, probably focusing in America.
I would expect that paying £120 for something would get me at least semi-decent postage. And there's no competition in the UK for small parcels and mail, Royal Mail is pretty much universal in the UK. It's not like in the USA where all the couriers compete. Mostly, special delivery companies (UPS, DHL and so on) are only used for large items or special orders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto