AP-patch preservation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Robz8, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RyanTheInkling

RyanTheInkling Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2019
    Canada
    Can someone help me with Stitch Jam? I am using NDS-Bootstrap, and after I start a game, it freezes and shows a black screen. I need a AP-Patch for Stitch Jam.

2. Yuuseia

Yuuseia Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2019
    Singapore
    Is there an alternative to DS-Scene Rom Tool? My computer doesn’t support .NET Framework 4.

3. Myzteziz

Myzteziz Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    Does anyone know where I can get a AP Patch for Dragon Quest IV? Talking to a vendor as Ragnar freezes the game but the music still plays. I've been searching for a patch but to no avail. :(

4. twitchguy64

twitchguy64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2019
    United States
    In your home at night
    Could you please explain in a bit more detail how to change and use this hex code? (I know I'm late)

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In the vast majority of hex editors you will ever use (for a basic one we tend to suggest https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ ) you will have three main sections in the program

Typically on the left is the address/location within the file
    In the middle is the hex itself
    On the right is what the hex decodes as if you tried to read it as text (typically ASCII but there are many editors that offer other things, and ROM hacking focused editors can do entirely custom stuff).
    Down below might be some other decodes of data, or the results of a search but we can ignore that for now.

So in this case you would go to

0x00004640

It might not have 0x part. All 0x really means is decode it as hex rather than decimal so no worries there. There might not be the exact number 4640 there but that is just because each line there corresponds to the value of the line. This means you might have to click where the actually address is.

Once there copy the following stuff
    00009FE51EFF2FE1CFB3000000009FE51EFF2FE177B1000007402DE91C009FE51C109FE5002091E5020050E114009F05000081050C0080023C0081050780BDE8F0320F02D41B0F0240270002
    Paste it such that it overwrites the data; in most hex editors, text editors, word processors and such you set overwrite mode by pressing the insert key (in the group with page up, page down, home, end and delete). Depending upon the program you might see something like OVR flash up down the bottom.
    You will want to do this in the middle section aka the hex section. If you do it in the text section it will not do much for you.

You do need to overwrite it -- if you just paste it in and increase the size of the ROM it is not going to get you anywhere. If you really wanted you could delete the same length of data and paste it in.

Anyway second location once that is done is 0x000049F8
    I would be surprised if the line starts with 49F8 so you will have to find it within it. Your editor should tell you what location you have clicked on in the hex (or text) window. Mostly it will be in the below section of the bottom part of the window.

Once there a smaller section of data to overwrite this time
    16FFFFEA

napalamman, twitchguy64 and Robz8 like this.
  6. twitchguy64

twitchguy64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2019
    United States
    In your home at night
    FAST6191
    I HIGHLY appreciate your help!
    unfortunately...
    I am REALLY REALLY bad at this stuff and I would LOVE you if you could just do it for me and send me a link to it

Last edited by twitchguy64, Jun 23, 2019
  7. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Israel
    Israel
    Hey, just wondering what are the diffrences between RetroGameFan's Alternative Game Patches v1.8 and v1.7, it seems to be mostly for the same games and 1.8 isn't in the odrive link, is it not good? should i use 1.7?

8. Trysten

Trysten Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2019
    United States
    United States
    The link for the DS-Scene ROM Tool is no longer valid. Filetrip shut down. Does someone have a valid link?

9. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
  10. DrBlack

DrBlack Newbie

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    France
    Can someone please patch juiced 2 on nds because I can't find it

11. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    No need to use an archive.org link yet, DS-Scene itself is still around. Although maybe it requires logging in to access the downloads, I forgot.

12. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    @retrogamefan I just noticed you too came back from the dead, if you could send me the CRC32 checksums for the various proper non-scene dumps (or just verify that they're the same ones as mentioned here - only the ones that need AP patching, of course, the rest I'll have to look into another day) that you've added to the database, I could add those dumps with their CRC32 checksums to DS-Scene as XXXX releases to make the Rom Tool recognise them with box art etc.

It's too bad the bad scene dumps were never nuked but at least this way it also works out. It's a great feeling when you find out all these years later people are still using the tools we worked on back in the day.

Dartz150 likes this.
  13. DrBlack

DrBlack Newbie

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    France
    this what i got from the DS-Scene Capture.PNG

14. Barawer

Barawer GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    Israel
    Israel
    are you sure the game needs an ap patch?

15. DrBlack

DrBlack Newbie

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    France
    Definitely whenever I try to do a career race or something that requires a loading screen I got a black screen. I did try to wait but even after 30 min nothing comes up
    Try it yourself if you don't trust

Last edited by DrBlack, Jul 2, 2019
  16. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    I guess you're using Twilight Menu and not a flashcard. The game probably isn't fully supported by nds-bootstrap/Twilight Menu yet.

zfreeman likes this.
  17. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Try holding L immediately after pressing A/START to launch the game.
    The release number is too early for the game to have AP measures.

zfreeman likes this.
  18. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Could this program be ported as a homebrew app for the 3DS? it would be very convenient to have the patching process there as well.

19. DrBlack

DrBlack Newbie

Newcomer
    May 18, 2019
    France
    The same problem remain I'm able to go to the title screen then nothing else

20. Robz8
    OP

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Is the L button working properly?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted