Homebrew Question Anyone working on a Moonlight app?

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: mss1988

knopex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is still no support for nvdec in libnx. Without it moonlight runs super slow.

Alternatively there is another homebrew available that turns your switch into a usb screen.

Of course you need to connect your switch via USB to your pc. But it actually works, tried it myself.
Currently just lowres with 30fps.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

DrNeroCF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is still no support for nvdec in libnx. Without it moonlight runs super slow.

Alternatively there is another homebrew available that turns your switch into a usb screen.

Of course you need to connect your switch via USB to your pc. But it actually works, tried it myself.

Have a look to this? Haven't heard of it and I can't find anything on it.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

Taelyan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Is nvdec being worked on?, Last I heard it was blocked because there was no access to the GPU, is that solved?

Taelyan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Seems like FFmpeg has been merged into libnx (can't post links):

github devkitPro/pacman-packages/issues/30

This was listed as dependency for switch-libavcodec in the moonlight-switch repo.

I am going to try to setup everything locally to build the repo and try to update the dependency but it is the first time I try to do something like that, can take a while...

Taelyan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
ffmpeg is not hardware decoding though

When I build the switch-libavcodec I am getting this.

External libraries providing hardware acceleration:

Libraries:
avcodec avutil

Programs:

Enabled decoders:
h264

Enabled encoders:

Enabled hwaccels:

Enabled parsers:

Enabled demuxers:

Enabled muxers:

Enabled protocols:

Enabled filters:

Enabled bsfs:
null

Enabled indevs:

Enabled outdevs:

License: LGPL version 2.1 or later

You are right, the part about libraries providing hw acceleration is still empty. :sad:

Correct me if I am wrong, the problem is that we cannot tap on the h264 decoding capabilities of the Tegra chip in order to decode the stream. How are the homebrew video players dealing with this?, are they decoding in software?

I really want this to happen, there has to be a way to contribute.

natinusala

Win32 error 31 is not an error
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It looks like VideoSetupNX uses the SDK and doesn't really count as a homebrew (depends on the definition you give it). As a result, it has nvdec but is illegal.

PlayerNX uses ffmpeg but I don't know if it works very well. ffmpeg may be enough to read a local video but certainly not for streaming.

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
It looks like VideoSetupNX uses the SDK and doesn't really count as a homebrew (depends on the definition you give it). As a result, it has nvdec but is illegal.
I created VideoSetupNX using C#/FFMPEG and it doesn't actually deal with any Nintendo Switch files. I don't even have the SDK. I think you're referring to the tool it recommends using, Homebrew Web Framework. (Simply because there's no non-SDK solution to do it. Otherwise, I would recommend that.)

Although you were probably just simplifying it for the end user, now that I look at it. I'd prefer a homebrew solution for playing the videos, but I don't think that's possible with the current library, right?

PlayerNX or VideoSetupNX
VideoSetupNX simply converts files to a MP4 format that the switch can natively play, along with fancy HTML (Modified, the original made by @OkazakiTheOtaku). Then you use a tool built with the SDK (What is what @natinusala was referring to) to package the files and the HTML code (which literally just loads the video file) in a NSP file. It's not a homebrew video player, more like a... preperation tool?

Last edited by Miqote,

Miqote

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
But the actual web player is in the SDK right ?
I'm not 100% sure - I assumed the switch just natively supported the MP4 format as part of it's web browser. If the web player is something built from the ground up in the SDK (like it was included in a game or something originally), then yes. I'll freely admit you're way more knowledgable about this topic then I am, my extent of devving on the switch is just basic Hello world and controller testing stuff.

Last edited by Miqote,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one