Anyone need a translator?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by WataruKun, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2009

Anyone need a translator? by WataruKun at 1:47 AM (3,178 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. WataruKun
    OP

Banned WataruKun Rom translator.

United States
    I'm taking a break from rom hacking and from here, I'm probably just going to focus on translating. I'm not just going to translate for any game though. Like if you say "Translate 'X' game for me" it's not guaranteed that I'm going to translate it. Give me the game's name and tell me about the game, maybe show me a few videos of it. Notice this is NOT A TRANSLATION REQUEST THREAD, no this a thread for if you NEED a translator for a project which you have already started. Before asking if I can be your translator, make sure you already have a clean script dump to send to me, that I can work with. If I'm interested I'll PM you.

I'm going to be honest though, if the game you need a translator for isn't a game that I particularly like or think is fun, I probably won't translate for you.

Translating is hard work though, so if I'm your only translator, your project will probably be the only one I'll be translating.

2. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Have about Pokemon Heart Gold and the silver?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Kishire

Newcomer Kishire Advanced Member

United States
    To be honest, I don't think there are many people out there that hasn't gotten some sort of translator already, its probably better if you join one of the already available translation (or start your own I guess). But if you do join one, may I suggest helping out the 'Cross Treasures' translation, I find it to be a interesting game & you might too.

4. neoxephon

Member neoxephon GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My translation group, Crimson Nocturnal, has two ongoing projects that both currently have 1 dedicated translator working on each.

One of the projects is Tales of Hearts. Caphi has been the main dedicated translator for the project, but has expressed interest in having help with the work, as Tales of Hearts is massive. We are currently working toward a menu patch in the coming months and a full translation patch in about a year or two, so it is a long term project.

The other project is SaGa 2 (the DS remake). Easton West has been the main dedicated translator for this project and again would not mind having some help. SaGa 2 is considerably smaller than Tales of Hearts, however the script has multiple versions related to the race of your main character and the relationship of your team. SaGa 2 gets a new patch about every 2 or so months and our goal is to get one world at a time translated (the game is comprised of multiple worlds).

Because both of our projects are team based, all work is located on Google Docs spreadsheets, but are only accessible to those that I add to the collaborator's list. One of the things I have to ask is, if you were to choose one of these projects to work on, are you willing to work on a team based project? I only ask this because as of yet, you have only worked solo. We have a team forum on our website and a lot of decisions about the projects are made through team discussion. You will mostly be working with and communicating with the other translator of that project, but will also need to communicate with the editors and sometimes myself and the "assistant" person helping me with the actual hacking and team management. You may actually find it more preferable over working alone, as the stress of the entire project will not be all on your shoulders. That is, if you decide you have an interest in any of these projects.

@jakob95: Are you actually trying to flame bait him on purpose? I see no other point in posting a message like that other than being an ass and trying to start trouble.

5. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Yes, I would definitely be interested in working with your group. About the Google Docs thing though, would there be an easy way to tell WHERE in the game the text is? Context is very important in translation and can help me figure out what the more difficult lines translate to.

6. neoxephon

United States
    We have HeartsTrans and SagaTrans, each for their respective projects. Using these, you can get the files with text dumped into simple text files. Then, using a simple tool that we have called SpreadsheetMerge, you can select multiple columns for the spreadsheet and merge them. It will take the edited version over the translated version and if something hasn't been translated yet, it'll keep the Japanese text. You then would copy+paste the contents into the appropriate dumped text file (I recommend using JWPce to edit text) and use our program to save the changes to the files, it will automatically repoint the text. You would then use DSLazy to rebuild the ROM, this would allow you to see changes in game before an official patch is released.

Also, note that DarthNemesis is still working on script support and a few miscellaneous items for HeartsTrans, so at this time you cannot test the script in Tales of Hearts without manually entering the data and repointing it. However, right now (although there is some script already in the spreadsheets) our primary focus is on everything else as we try to get v1.0 (menu patch) out the door.

SagaTrans, on the other hand, is essentially complete. All it needs is added support for one more file related to the Jukebox.

Short of actually testing it in game yourself, Caphi and Easton West both have solid knowledge and experience with their respective games, so consulting with them is also possible.

7. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Well I'd be interested in the Tales of Hearts translation, but does that mean I'd still basically just have to play through the whole game to find a specific part of the script?

8. neoxephon

United States
    Well, Caphi has been doing the script in the order of how it appears in game and I believe he is a few towns into the game but he would know more on that. He has a sheet with a sort of index of what file is from what town or area in the game. Technically yes, you'd have to play the game to actually see certain parts in game. However, it should not be much of an issue if you play the game as the script is being done. So, get to the point where you plan on starting to translate and then translate and play as you go along. If you use an emulator, you could make different saves from different parts of the game, as well. He isn't that far into the game yet that it wouldn't be too much trouble to play to that point.

9. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Alright, cool, well add me up to the Google Docs thing and I'll get started. Could you also send me the script dumping program?

10. KaelKazaki

Newcomer KaelKazaki Advanced Member

I approve this thread and your working with ToH.

11. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Hopefully, now I'm just waiting for access to the script and stuff I need to translate. Meanwhile, I'll start playing through the game.

12. neoxephon

United States
    First, go register at our forums so I can give you access to the team forum, that is where we discuss important stuff. I will then add you to the spreadsheets, using whatever email address you use to register at the forums with. You'll want to check some of the threads in the team forum and especially pick out a color to use on the spreadsheets. We all have our own color for the spreadsheets, it makes it easier to tell who did what that way. There is a color key thread for that. You may also want to talk with Caphi and get to know each other a little, as you'll be working together for a good amount of time. You'll also find our custom tools in a thread at the team forum.

13. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Well I'm just playing through the game right now. I'll begin translating after I've played through it a bit.

Also are you planning to hack in subtitles for the FMV's?

14. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    Do you only translate NDS games? Or SNES games and GBA games as well?

15. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Mass-quoting ftl.

16. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Since moderators didn't rightfully remove it, don't troll my topic with offtopic posts.

17. neoxephon

United States
    Oh really? Then here are two more quotes just for you. Enjoy.

18. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Sigh... the moderators seem to be being gay and ignoring my reports whatever. It's stupid.

Anyway, I registered on the forums neoxephon, so do I have permission to edit the script yet?

19. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    You're such a diva WataruKun. Please report me now.

Edit: This is a relevant post. You're gonna work for Crimson Nocturnal huh?

20. WataruKun
    OP

United States
    Anyway, yeah, I'm registered, so I'm awaiting permission to edit the script and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.