Hacking Anyone else still miss Rominator?

xtreme1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have yet to find an equivalent on the UI front. Has anyone heard of any new projects from Hank or similar to Rominator?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Other than a nice genre filter and some nice list export options I can not really think of anything I especially miss. Granted I do not tend to reflash an entire flash card all at once or add more than a single game at a time meaning my use of such a tool is more about information gathering than ROM management. Equally I recall playing with sqlite as part of it at some point which was a learning experience and one I would probably want to return to now I understand databases a bit better (proper searches possible and all that).

Re: making your own. Ignoring that VisualBasic (assuming you do not mean VB.net in which case ignore me here) is dead it is actually a fair undertaking to make a ROM manager and have it be comparable to the others available, it is obviously not on the same level as writing an emulator or something but there is a lot to consider (trimming, icon extraction, hash checking, header reading, regular extraction, info database parsing* and more) all of which has had extensive discussion on the appropriate methods for some time now or otherwise requires a fair bit of understanding.

*you can make your own but offline list and crlmame pro are the two big formats.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)