Anyone else Lonely this valentines day?

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you stink, you have to wash yourself, end of the story.

"Bad skin" can't be smelled from 5 meters.

You can wash yourself more often or use better products, but if you stink of sweat, you have to do something about it
Body flora (the various groups of bacteria living in your body) control many things, including body odor and digestion, and has been found to be linked to mental health as well.
Showering too many times may seem appropriate in the short term, but it will negatively affect the body's flora and may lead to worse odor or even health issues. Instead, shower moderately (maybe once a day, maybe every 2, everyone's body is different) but typically not more frequently. Try to limit the amount of sulfites and other preservatives you put in/on your skin (cheap shampoos and processed foods are full of them).
Use shampoo no more than once a day, try every other day if you can. Also remember that your body adapts to change over time, it may take a few weeks for it to stop needing to be washed so much if you're cutting back. Don't use conditioner, it's just oily wax chemicals that stick to and coat your hair. For body wash, I use bar soap without sulfites. I don't wear cologne and don't put products in my hair. If you are skeptical, my anecdote is that I get complimented on how I smell and how soft my hair is.
Avoid excess sugar intake, especially broken down versions that are too quickly absorbed by the body (fructose/corn starch/corn syrup). Also, artificial sugars (splenda etc.) have been shown to kill off and mess with gut flora, which is found to be linked to body odor, physical and mental health issues. So, avoid all sodas (it's all poison), diet or otherwise. Also try to eat less processed foods, like raw vegetables (dark green is really good, and you can cook the vegetables if you want), protein-rich grains (quinoa), non canned beans and nuts. I eat plain yogurt with lots of probiotics, though there isn't strong evidence that it improves flora yet (it may).
Obviously, following all of this is difficult in a massively industrialized society, but strive to do your best.

Oh, I'm going to add oral hygiene. Be sure to brush your teeth right when you wake up. Floss every night (get both the deep left and deep right sides of every gap!) and brush every night as well. Yes, this routine sucks. Yes, it is required for good breath and to prevent teeth rot (cavaties, sensitivity). Especially follow this since dental health care is abysmal in many countries. I learned this the hard way :/

Last edited by IncredulousP,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you stink, you have to wash yourself, end of the story.

"Bad skin" can't be smelled from 5 meters.

You can wash yourself more often or use better products, but if you stink of sweat, you have to do something about it
want to be "odor-free" consider the following tips:

Apply an antiperspirant at bedtime. This gives the product a chance to work while you sleep and are not sweating. If you apply antiperspirants after showering in the moning, the sweat you accumulate will wash away the product and render you defenseless against daytime sweating. Remember, deodorants do not prevent sweating. They mainly mask the smell of the sweat on your skin. Antiperspirants are chemical agents that reduce sweating. Many antiperspirant preparations also contain a deodorant, which helps to mask the smell. Check the product you use to make sure it contains an antiperspirant.

Keep your underarms dry. Bacteria have a hard time breeding in dry areas of the body.
Try a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water to fight body odor. Use 1 teaspoon of peroxide (3%) to 1 cup (8 ounces) of water. Wipe this on affected areas (underarm, feet, groin) with a washcloth. This may help destroy some of the bacteria that creates odor

If sweat from working out is your No. 1 cause of body odor, wash your workout clothes often. Sweaty gym clothes are a bacteria-breeding ground.

Change your diet. Sometimes, fatty foods, oils, or strong-smelling foods such as garlic, curry, and onions, can seep through your pores and cause body odor (always see a doctor or dietician before making drastic dietary changes).
If you have excessive sweating (called hyperhidrosis), talk to your doctor.

There are a few treatment options for those with more severe sweating who desire more aggressive treatments. Also, certain medical problems can lead to excessive sweating. Your doctor can make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment.
Shaving your underarm regularly will help prevent the accumulation of bacteria and can reduce sweat and odor.

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, deodorants do not prevent sweating. They mainly mask the smell of the sweat on your skin. Antiperspirants are chemical agents that reduce sweating. Many antiperspirant preparations also contain a deodorant, which helps to mask the smell. Check the product you use to make sure it contains an antiperspirant.
I'm going to add that there are 2 different ingredients used in antiperspirants/"deodorants": Antiperspirants and deodorants. The first clogs the pores while the second kills bacteria to prevent some of them from making the stink. I generally don't recommend using products that kill/steralize bacteria on the skin because body flora is important, but I'm not a doctor, so you should consult (multiple) physicians first and foremost. Try to use antiperspirants without deodorants, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

pineapple_juice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worked that day (started at 8 a.m.), then visited courses (till 8 p.m.) and then had to make research as University task. Yeah, I was surrounded by people that day (read: I was not lonely), but that didn't make me happy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo