Hacking anyone can explain me how .sav file work ?

Shigaraki1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i have dumped my .sav file ( save from super mario bros 2 delux edition ) i open it in ghex ( hexadecimal editor on linux ) and i understand nothing .
i think the content is encrypted or something like that but after reflexion it's improbable
The only thing I understood was that my name is in the .sav file , anyone can help me ?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have dumped my .sav file ( save from super mario bros 2 delux edition )
Did you use Checkpoint, or did you just randomly copy it off your SD card?

i open it in ghex ( hexadecimal editor on linux ) and i understand nothing .
What were you expecting..? Save data is generally not ever human-readable. Especially if you have to use a hex editor.

What exactly did you want to change? You're probably out of luck if no one has written a dedicated tool already.

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Shigaraki1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you use Checkpoint, or did you just randomly copy it off your SD card?

What were you expecting..? Save data is generally not ever human-readable. Especially if you have to use a hex editor.

What exactly did you want to change? You're probably out of luck if no one has written a dedicated tool already.
i want to edit my save from super mario bros 2 deluxe by myself i got 2 file

- BigRedSave.dat ( dumped with checkpoint )
- 00000001.sav (dumped with gm9 )

when i say "by myself" i want to edit it without use any cheat code create by the community
Post automatically merged:

why do you need to view/edit the file in the first place?
just edit my save of super mario bros 2 delux by myself

ex : adding coins , unlock every worlds etc...

dudeguy2022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... Kwyjor is right, almost all save data isn't human readable. It's not as easy as finding a variable named "coins" and changing it to 1,000,000.

Shigaraki1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"BigRedSave.dat" is the actual save file used by the game. "00000001.sav" is the save file in a packed (and normally encrypted) format. You can try to use the former save file with a save editor (a cursory Google search shows this one), but otherwise, you're on your own.

i gues you don't know how the file has open an decrypted by the software ? ( talking about BigRedSave.dat )

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since someone has already made a save data editor, what else do you want to do..?

If you're really all that interested, you can use the save data editor to make changes and then study exactly how the data changes in your hex editor.

- BigRedSave.dat ( dumped with checkpoint )
- 00000001.sav (dumped with gm9 )
BigRedSave.dat is already completely decrypted. The file dumped with gm9 is also decrypted, but is still compressed. (I think. No one dumps save data using gm9 because it is mostly useless to do so.)

i think i have found a very good tutorial
That appears to be a tutorial for making a cheat while a game is running. That has nothing to do with editing save data.

Shigaraki1337

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since someone has already made a save data editor, what else do you want to do..?

If you're really all that interested, you can use the save data editor to make changes and then study exactly how the data changes in your hex editor.

BigRedSave.dat is already completely decrypted. The file dumped with gm9 is also decrypted, but is still compressed. (I think. No one dumps save data using gm9 because it is mostly useless to do so.)

That appears to be a tutorial for making a cheat while a game is running. That has nothing to do with editing save data.
yes now i have edit my save and it's good
now i'am gonna use tcp gecko for 3ds to view the ram of games

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You do know that once you edit the hex, it is like that forever, no matter how many coins you get in the game.
Once you do it once that is no going back.
-CONFIRM
Are you saying this has happened to you? Because it doesn't make any sense.

If that happened to you, then I would suspect your SD card is malfunctioning.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am talking about coins and money. Once you do it wil not go up nor down. Is that not what he wants this value will not increase. This is what this does, and must be changed manually in the hex, it must be done like this :-?

-edit I did not explain myself :-<

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am talking about coins and money. Once you do it wil not go up nor down. Is that not what he wants this value will not increase. This is what this does, and must be changed manually in the hex, it must be done like this :-?
You didn't answer the question. Did this happen to you?

It shouldn't make any difference whether you change a value in the save data by playing the game or change a value by using a hex editor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1