sushyoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello.

I have been using my 4.73 PS4 only with remote play for some time and dont have it configured on TV. It seems that yesterday the 5.50 update was downloaded so my PS4 is now trying to force me to update everytime i turn on the PS4. The problem is that with this notice on system restart I cannot remote play, so I have to everytime connect to a TV and select update later. This way its impossible for me to remote play.
Is there a way to stop that update notice? I dont want to update im hope for future homebrew. Actually i was wondering if there is any hack to cancel this updates notices.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a recurrent question, anyway Sony has remove the option to directly delete a downloaded FW, without JB your only choice is:

1) backup your system to a USB disc
2) wipe the internal disc (reinitialize)
3) restore your system
4) ???
5) profit

Reactions: KiiWii

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a recurrent question, anyway Sony has remove the option to directly delete a downloaded FW, without JB your only choice is:

1) backup your system to a USB disc
2) wipe the internal disc (reinitialize)
3) restore your system
4) ???
5) profit
Can you delete a downloaded update with a WebKit exploit? Or do I need kernel access?

sushyoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem is that all my games are digital. So if I wipe everything I would lose all my downloaded games and since I cannot login to psn then It would be even worse. Also I think if I restore my system I would lose my vita registration on the ps4 so I would not be able to activate it again.
I guess I will just wait for a exploit about this. thanks anyway.

Reactions: cearp and KiiWii

Dr. Dew

Trophies
XP
Country
Sudan
i turned off automatic updated downloads and it still downloaded the newest FW on my console. Luckily it just downloaded it and it didnt update. Still on 5.00

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the update function is broken on the ps4. my ps4 does this as does a friend's. I own a JP system; he owns an American one. so, it's not regional. the best way to block updates is to use a proxy. I have a tutorial on blocking updates actually. it will still say that you need to update to the latest software, but nothing will be downloaded. afaik, it also does this with the update blocker on 4.55. I'm still on 4.07, so I haven't hacked my system yet. I'm blocking updates though, and I've never had a problem. if you try to sign in to psn or try to update the system software in system settings, it will error on you. you can still access the internet too. my tutorial is on psx place under the name pinky. ;)

Dr. Dew

Trophies
XP
Country
Sudan
the update function is broken on the ps4. my ps4 does this as does a friend's. I own a JP system; he owns an American one. so, it's not regional. the best way to block updates is to use a proxy. I have a tutorial on blocking updates actually. it will still say that you need to update to the latest software, but nothing will be downloaded. afaik, it also does this with the update blocker on 4.55. I'm still on 4.07, so I haven't hacked my system yet. I'm blocking updates though, and I've never had a problem. if you try to sign in to psn or try to update the system software in system settings, it will error on you. you can still access the internet too. my tutorial is on psx place under the name pinky. ;)
I'll check it out!

Dogmj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have the exact same issue, I'm very afraid of accidentally hitting the update now button lol I hope someone finds a way to remove that update file, in the meantime all we can do is never touch that button

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It was answered above in the 3rd post, backup your HD content, reinitialize the system, install the backed up content and block access to Sony servers to avoid to happen again.

Reactions: KiiWii

sushyoshi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was answered above in the 3rd post, backup your HD content, reinitialize the system, install the backed up content and block access to Sony servers to avoid to happen again.

Before i do that, i want to make sure if anyone tried it. My main concern is that I might not be able to register my devices for remote play without accessing sony servers. Can anyone confirm if after this i would still be able to remote play on pc or vita?
And what would happen to my downloaded games. Would i be able to play them without connecting one time to sony servers to check the game licences?

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Before i do that, i want to make sure if anyone tried it. My main concern is that I might not be able to register my devices for remote play without accessing sony servers. Can anyone confirm if after this i would still be able to remote play on pc or vita?
And what would happen to my downloaded games. Would i be able to play them without connecting one time to sony servers to check the game licences?

The titles would be restored from the backup if you saved them, but to be honest I've done it a long time ago, when I was on IIRC FW 3.5 and it downloaded a FW 4.xx, and at that time I was only interested in my gamesaves and didn't have any digital only titles on the HD (never trusted them and I consider it a completely robbery as they are sold at the same price of physical items. WTF dudes? You are selling me an immaterial thing: or the physical goods are sold at lost or you are egregiously trying to screw me, and don't get me started on the big fiasco of the PSN hack. OK enough with the OT).

I think you can search online reports of people that have tried to restore the backed up HD without network access (scenario: an user decided to bring his console on his Antarctic mission, but at the last minute he snatches an SSD to swap his aging and slow HD when he arrives at the South Pole. The satellite downlink has only bandwidth to receive text only email. Can he do it, or is he destined to pass six months watching penguins and drinking hard liquors instead of reach platinum on all the 4 Uncharted titles).

If you can't find nothing it's probably not possible, or your search skills are weak... ^__~

Edit: I've verified that you need to access the PSN to enable/activate the PSN purchased titles, it took me less time than the reply above, but you know, today is one of those days where I kinda like do dick around... ^__^;

Last edited by MostlyUnharmful,

gbaperma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once PS4 detects there is a newer firmware, it will be hard-coded to the chip inside the console. So, even if you wipe the HDD, it will do nothing. But you can save space taken by auto-downloaded update files since they are inside the HDD.

The real problem is once it's detected:
1. You won't be able to transfer your save file to USB (so you can edit and so on),
2. Backup and restore will require you to update to the latest firmware,
3. You won't be able to play with your PSN account once you delete the user (It means you can't play with your save. It will ask you to connect to Internet, update to the latest firmware, and log into PSN account again)
*Notice that all these apply even if you stay offline to perform all those.

So, I warn you to be careful with reinstalling or wiping HDD on your system once PS4 keeps asking you to update to any higher version firmware since it means that it's detected and hard-coded into the system. I am very impressed with PS4's security of this gen. They tried so hard to not make mistake they made for PS3 lol.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@gbaperma not true.

If you format the PS4, update nag is gone. Its not "hard coded" into the "chip".

But yes you will lose everything (unless you want to get rid of hackable console, update to latest and log back into psn to redownload everything: sony keeps record of what you have paid for tied to PSN account and lets you download again without paying again obviously)

If youre on 4.55 and wipe the console, it wont be long before you can obtain the same games you had on your console anyway.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@gbaperma not true.

If you format the PS4, update nag is gone. Its not "hard coded" into the "chip".

But yes you will lose everything (unless you want to get rid of hackable console, update to latest and log back into psn to redownload everything: sony keeps record of what you have paid for tied to PSN account and lets you download again without paying again obviously)

If youre on 4.55 and wipe the console, it wont be long before you can obtain the same games you had on your console anyway.

that post had me worried. I have the update nag, and I have the update servers blocked. nothing ever downloads though. :D

I have a banned account on my system which I want to get rid of. is it safe to wipe the hdd or should I not do that? my fear is that sony can detect the banned account even if you're not signed in with it. this is when or if we gain access to psn again. I might lose my saves, but that's okay as long as my system isn't banned.

lastly, can you backup the pkg files from the games you own? I mean if I were to make a pkg of trials, a psn game, could I wipe the hdd, then install the pkg I made from that game on to a new account and back up the pkg as well?

thanks

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that post had me worried. I have the update nag, and I have the update servers blocked. nothing ever downloads though. :D

I have a banned account on my system which I want to get rid of. is it safe to wipe the hdd or should I not do that? my fear is that sony can detect the banned account even if you're not signed in with it. this is when or if we gain access to psn again. I might lose my saves, but that's okay as long as my system isn't banned.

lastly, can you backup the pkg files from the games you own? I mean if I were to make a pkg of trials, a psn game, could I wipe the hdd, then install the pkg I made from that game on to a new account and back up the pkg as well?

thanks

If it were me I would format it and while on 4.55 no need for PSN account.

You can back up your saves, they should work (as youre on 1.76-4.55?). As long as its on the same console, they should be fine to back up and put back.

Yes you can dump your games, then fakepkg them for use on any HEN console.

Reactions: godreborn

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
with backing up the saves, does the account which made them need to be on the system?

Not that I am aware of.

If you copy saves off any profile, and try put on a different PS4, even with same profile, it wont work, but on same console: should be fine. Like you said: if you lose youre saves not end of the world, give it a try and report back.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up