Hacking Any updates on Gateway?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also can confirm that card updates work. I did it at least twice from 9.0 to 10.2 (emunand) on different 3ds when cfw wasnt that advanced like today.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also can confirm that card updates work. I did it at least twice from 9.0 to 10.2 (emunand) on different 3ds when cfw wasnt that advanced like today.
If I recall correctly, you can just as easily use the FBI.3ds on the Gateway, install homebrew loader as a cia and launch sysupgrader from there with the NUS files. I remember sysupgrader was FAR more consistent than sysdowngrader when you were moving up in firmware.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If I recall correctly, you can just as easily use the FBI.3ds on the Gateway, install homebrew loader as a cia and launch sysupgrader from there with the NUS files. I remember sysupgrader was FAR more consistent than sysdowngrader when you were moving up in firmware.

Im not sure how much it was improved since I used it last time (2016) but it tended sometimes to crash while updating firm and I ended up with frankenfirmware. Luckily I had cubic ninja around and could fix it. But ending on a firmware which is signed for higher firm is really bad cause you can't run apps anymore and most games just crash.

Furthermore I wouldnt recommend this to unexperienced people else you get a new thread similar like "Me stupid used wrong update files and bricked"

Last edited by GothicIII,
Reactions: Quantumcat

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not sure how much it was improved since I used it last time (2016) but it tended sometimes to crash while updating firm and I ended up with frankenfirmware. Luckily I had cubic ninja around and could fix it. But ending on a firmware which is signed for higher firm is really bad cause you can't run apps anymore and most games just crash.
Well, that's a risk, but with a fairly low occurrence (I haven't done it in many, many months) in my experience. Either way, you're definitely correct about avoiding mismatched system titles. If you've got easy access to a cart update, that's absolutely a safer way to go about it.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you already updated to 11.1 you do not have to worry about keys. Cart updates and online updates are just about the same except the cart only updates the "core" files and not things like the web browser or the sound app.

It's fine just update to 11.2 using a game.
I don't think so, I have told dozens of people to update with a Yoshi's Wooly World rom and there have been no reports of bricks. Where did you get this info from?
It's just something that I vaguely remember from the 6.X.X/7.X.X days when the keys changed (saves were also getting unreadable because of that). But those have been addressed by Gateway in the meantime, so that's why I asked for confirmation, instead of just telling OP not to update outright. If there's general experience of it working, then I see no issues other than having to be careful with the region.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest GW news is that the update is coming in October with a simultaneous new release of their new StarGate card. Official news over on maxconsole as always - http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/g...-firmware-release-coming-soon.43938/#comments

I'm probably going to switch over to CFW, but just haven't had the time to do it. Suppose by now I may as well wait for the latest update but if Metroid doesn't work this weekend I'll definitely be making the switch. I also need to find the guides that will allow me to keep my GW EmuNAND, because reinstalling all the games I have will be a huge pain if I have to go that route.

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting everyone!!!!

So get home last night only to realize that I was indeed on 11.2 already. But from the sounds of it, it seems that folks looking to get on 11.2 emunand can update from Yoshi just fine if its the same region.

I was able to confirm that Metroid and pretty much any game released in the last few months work. I even tested a .3ds rom that stated it "needed" 11.3. Booted right up with gateway!

So it seems that for the time being, gateway users can indeed play anything through emunand.

Thanks all!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you sure there's absolutely no restriction? I remember reading that, since keys are only loaded once, on system boot, the procedure, even for EmuNAND was safe only if your SysNAND was on a firmware that had the new keys already, such as 9.2.0 booting Gateway through MenuHAX, or fully updated booting Gateway through A9LH or B9S. Remember that we're talking about someone that's still booting through MSET on 4.1.0-4.5.0, which uses the old keys.
You are partially right. That was true at one point, specifically when 9.6 was released n3DS users couldn't use it because the keys for it were missing and hadn't been dumped (although there wasn't a way to update sysNAND past 9.2 and keep CFW/Gateway so the sysNAND version wouldn't have helped anyway)
There was also a similar issue in 7.x I believe.
But they've since been added to the Launcher.dat binary so there is no such issue now.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE