Gimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hi all...
For some time I'm looking for sime good stratgy game for the DS.
I'm sure this is a question that easy to answer, but the thing is i'm looking for a good stratgy game, and by saying good I mean more then "produce units -> attack" stratgy in most games.
Games who has depth and you need to explore the game and see the various stratgies, an example I give from the PC
are games like: Etherlords, Sacrifice and Dungeon keeper, in each of these you had the depth of understanding the game
,apart from the original mechanics that introduced there.

I tried Advance Wars: DS, but it monotonius and boaring, and all sides has the same units so there is not enough room for stratgy.

Hope you'll understand me and find a game to recomend me (even for the PC).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By strategy I assume you mean RTS rather than stuff like Hoshigame : running blue earth (final fantasy tactics is about as close a game as any)

Daisenkaru is pretty good although it is Japanese only right now (I think there might have been a Chinese translation). It may also be a bit close to advance wars too.

If you have a GBA option the Super Robot Wars are pretty good as are the ports of Shining force (there is a DS version of the former but it will a while before a translation appears for that: it will likely have to be fanmade and it will be a pain to hack).

As for RTS on the DS options are few and far between commercial is limited and homebrew has not got that far either.
FF12: Revanent wings
Age of Empires made an appearance
Anno 1701 - Dawn of Discovery is still one of my favourite DS titles.

Homebrew: A touch of War. http://www.atouchofwar.com/AToW.php
Warcraft tower defence: http://ndswtd.wordpress.com/
Powder (nethack like game)
http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=news
It does not quite fit but meteora is also good:
http://meteora.lo2k.net/
SNES and megadrive emulation is pretty good for the DS these days (certainly at playable levels) and I know there are games there for that.

PS1: Vagrant Story, PC emulation is tip top these days and PSP also works great for this.

PC wise: You had dungeon keeper already but older stuff like warhammer dark omen and the Total War series are worth a look if you have not already.

Search around for a thread, there were a couple in June/July that got pretty far on:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=663...37&#entry868737

JohnSearle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're willing to stray away from the action oriented strategy games, then you should take a look at Civilization for PC. There is also a Civilization game coming to DS, but not for quite a while.

I'm guessing if you're into strategy, then you've probably already played it, though. Also, there is always Chess...

Gimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
not nessecery RTS, turn based games are allright!
for example i played Anno 1701, but still it was boaring, I didn't feel like I'm thinking when playing.
most of the stratgy DS games are not at the same level of the PC, with elements that are today are a must in every stratgy tite for the PC.

BTW I love chess, and even has the Chessmaster on my R4, the thing is the comp is really hard there for me and I don't have the time or the resources to learn and change my stratgy there.

Gimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I tried Advance Wars: DS, but it monotonius and boaring, and all sides has the same units so there is not enough room for stratgy.

no room for strategy? Are you serious? And what about the generals? They affect the gameplay and the behaviour of your units pretty much...

the CO's don't make that much difference in the gameplay, at the end the math of the units is the one that mainly important.
Their power is not enough strong to base a stratagy.

Yahzon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Panzer Tactics Ds:
Pretty overlooked, and underrated, but a good title.
Basically it's second World War strategy game, with three long Campaigns for Axis, Allies, and Soviet's. It's pretty much a clone of Panzer General when it comes to gameplay (i.e. hex based movement, no real logistics, buying units for fame).
This has still some problems, like simplified logistics (i.e. no supply lines), planes that stay in sky forever, and some historical errors (Focke-Wulf airplanes available before they were developed), but as far as depth, difficulty and strategy goes it's more than paper-rock-scissors model from AW:DS.

Darctangaent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're into strategy more than stories then let me re - suggest Advance Wars Dual Strike. The map editor allows you to create custom maps with or without factories so you set up and your own challenges, plus decide the weather, CO's, etc . Then you can use a cheat to unlock all of the CO's without having to play the story mode. If you like chess then you should give this a try.
Also I would also suggest Mage Knight : Destiny Soldier. It's got more than a few problems: simplistic graphics, bit buggy interface, generic story but it's got several elements that are normally left out of most strategy games. (changes in stats based on health, forced marches, influence of command).
I would also recommend Hoshigami but only to a point. It's got the standard gameplay like FFTA and Luminous Arc but uses a 'RAP' system that allows for decent variations, but the nonsense with the coins after awhile overshadows the gameplay and the map design makes a lot of the battles seem drawn out and boring.

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I agree with Front Mission. There are a lot of factors to take note of, lest you want your units killed. However this doesn't happen in the later missions when your levels are overleveled, and it gets quite easy from there.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

no room for strategy? Are you serious? And what about the generals? They affect the gameplay and the behaviour of your units pretty much...

the CO's don't make that much difference in the gameplay, at the end the math of the units is the one that mainly important.

Not every CO makes a difference, but a few turn the playstyle on its ear. The team of Colin (80% unit cost, 80% unit strength) and Grimm (130% unit strength, 80% defense) has a huge effect on strategy. Plus, leveling up your CO's strengthens this. Colin's unit costs can be droped to 68%, and Grimm's attack can be increased to 163%. It doesn't matter if you and your opponents both have the same units; the CO powers make all the difference in differentiating the two sides.

Really, the only problem with AW:DS is that it's NOT symmetrical. Your enemy CO abilities suck, and they don't get to level up and get special abilities.

Now, if you want dull and boring gameplay, look at Fire Emblem. That game has stuck with the same formula and hasn't added anything revolutionary. (AW:DS was head-and-shoulders above AW and AW2.) If you didn't like AW:DS, you won't like Fire Emblem.

You also won't like Front Mission. It's very simplistic and lacks the refinements introduced later on in the series.

You might like Age of Empires and Panzer Tactics for the DS. Both are TBS games. PT lets you build new units, but you also get to keep your units from battle-to-battle.

MajinBuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
for example i played Anno 1701, but still it was boaring, I didn't feel like I'm thinking when playing.
most of the stratgy DS games are not at the same level of the PC, with elements that are today are a must in every stratgy tite for the PC.

BTW I love chess, and even has the Chessmaster on my R4, the thing is the comp is really hard there for me and I don't have the time or the resources to learn and change my stratgy there.

i'm sorry but this whole thread is pretty much stupid....

He doesn't know how to spell "boring"

He think's a game is bad because it requires "thinking"

He think's a strategy game on the ds isnt on the same level as pc..no shit really?
ohmy.gif
what a suprise

QUOTEthe CO's don't make that much difference in the gameplay, at the end the math of the units is the one that mainly important.

Looks like you haven't even played the game... CO's is the CORE engine of AW... everyone knows that..
lecture.gif

I rate this thread
hate2.gif

Gimmy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
for example i played Anno 1701, but still it was boring, I didn't feel like I'm thinking when playing.
most of the stratgy DS games are not at the same level of the PC, with elements that are  today are a must in every stratgy tite for  the PC.

BTW I love chess, and even has the Chessmaster on my R4, the thing is the comp is really hard there for me and I don't have the time or the resources to learn and change my stratagy there.

He think's a strategy game on the ds isnt on the same level as pc..no shit really?
ohmy.gif
what a suprise

QUOTE said:

Looks like you haven't even played the game... CO's is the CORE engine of AW... everyone knows that..
lecture.gif

I rate this thread
hate2.gif

Bah! (that's as a respond for your first argument, BTW if this thread seem stupid to you Y did you even bother to commet here?? eh pacha?)
First, as a matter of fact I did played the game, until mission #6... and I didn't feel like I'm thinking, or there is stratagy involved! The CO's are not that much useful, that's from my experience at least, so I don't much understand what you are talking about! .As i see it AW is more of a simulation of a tabletop game that is more tactical then stratagical.

Second there are some reasons Y the DS games (not all of them) are not at the same level of the PC games, I'm talking about the gameplay (not the graphics) and I think the developers can do better.
(god, I'm waiting to finish my Computer Science studies to start designing some GOOD games!)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
(god, I'm waiting to finish my Computer Science studies to start designing some GOOD games!)

Should I point out at this time that a good chunk of homebrew developers are also students of some form.

There are countless free guides, toolchains, interpreters and libraries covering everything the DS does and beyond.

MajinBuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
for example i played Anno 1701, but still it was boring, I didn't feel like I'm thinking when playing.
most of the stratgy DS games are not at the same level of the PC, with elements that are  today are a must in every stratgy tite for  the PC.

BTW I love chess, and even has the Chessmaster on my R4, the thing is the comp is really hard there for me and I don't have the time or the resources to learn and change my stratagy there.

ohmy.gif
what a suprise

QUOTE said:

lecture.gif

I rate this thread
hate2.gif

Bah! (that's as a respond for your first argument, BTW if this thread seem stupid to you Y did you even bother to commet here?? eh pacha?)
First, as a matter of fact I did played the game, until mission #6... and I didn't feel like I'm thinking, or there is stratagy involved! The CO's are not that much useful, that's from my experience at least, so I don't much understand what you are talking about! .As i see it AW is more of a simulation of a tabletop game that is more tactical then stratagical.

Second there are some reasons Y the DS games (not all of them) are not at the same level of the PC games, I'm talking about the gameplay (not the graphics) and I think the developers can do better.

This thread sure does feel stupid.. and the reason I replied was obviously to let you know.. not everyone appreciates threads like this. You didn't think there's much thinking/strategy involved in AW? WOW you really must be a great player then
ohmy.gif

I didn't get your simulation part... AW is an RTS mixed with RPG elements

I don't know how many ds games there really is..but most of them are really really good... computer science eh? Then you of all people should know how much time and effort it really takes to produce a game... especially a handheld... are you telling me you can do BETTER then some of the devs on ds with over 20-30 years of experience?
lecture.gif

You don't like AW? That's fine by me....

BTW I really LOVE to see some of your projects.. Care to show us exactly what kind of games/applications you've devd that's comparable or better then everyone else?

Bourbanog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
First, as a matter of fact I did played the game, until mission #6..

Here's your problem. I frigging suck at strategies. I was coasting through, having fun up to mission 13 or so. Then the mission decided to be impossible and crush me under it's evil, horrendous foot of difficulty. Seriously, play the game for a few more missions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.