Any recommendations for a new router?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dilav, Feb 17, 2011.

Feb 17, 2011
  1. dilav
    OP

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I need a new router soon to replace my main one for streaming/wireless data transfer, any recommendations? Was thinking of the ASUS RT-N16[newegg.com]

Or should I buy a dual band router for future proofing and such? If so any recommendations? Anything I should wait for?

Thanks.

Edit: bought the Asus, loaded it with 3rd party firmware, great router. Does all my torrenting, filesharing and what not without my computer being on. Qos also working perfectly. I used my old one as a wireless bridge, havent have a problem yet and didn't need to restarted anything since I had it.

2. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    If you want to use it for streaming, heavy leeching and gaming I can recommend the dualbands made by Sitecom and Netgear, though I could recommend a wired connection even more - it's the only way to make sure you make full use of your bandwidth.

If it's for regular browsing and the occasional torrent, then you should settle for a really cheap wifi router, as the extra money wouldn't be worth it.

3. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Netgear x10 works anywhere in my house with 3 bars (or max) on all my devices. It's nice. It's also pretty cheap.