Any recommendations for a new router?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dilav, Feb 17, 2011.

1. dilav
    OP

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 22, 2006
    United States
    I need a new router soon to replace my main one for streaming/wireless data transfer, any recommendations? Was thinking of the ASUS RT-N16[newegg.com]

Or should I buy a dual band router for future proofing and such? If so any recommendations? Anything I should wait for?

Thanks.

Edit: bought the Asus, loaded it with 3rd party firmware, great router. Does all my torrenting, filesharing and what not without my computer being on. Qos also working perfectly. I used my old one as a wireless bridge, havent have a problem yet and didn't need to restarted anything since I had it.

2. ferdi-t

ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Netherlands
    Groningen
    If you want to use it for streaming, heavy leeching and gaming I can recommend the dualbands made by Sitecom and Netgear, though I could recommend a wired connection even more - it's the only way to make sure you make full use of your bandwidth.

If it's for regular browsing and the occasional torrent, then you should settle for a really cheap wifi router, as the extra money wouldn't be worth it.

3. Aijelsop

Aijelsop Question Asker

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2010
    United States
    Netgear x10 works anywhere in my house with 3 bars (or max) on all my devices. It's nice. It's also pretty cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice