Emulation any good working snes slot 2 emulators?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've got three options: SNES DS, SnezziDS, and SNEmulDS. Take your pick.

EDIT: unless you mean you're restricted to GBA mode, in which case your options are only SNES Advance and Snezziboy. Let me know if you need help with these two.

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
You've got three options: SNES DS, SnezziDS, and SNEmulDS. Take your pick.

EDIT: unless you mean you're restricted to GBA mode, in which case your options are only SNES Advance and Snezziboy. Let me know if you need help with these two.
and theyre all slot 2? Isn't SNEmulds slot 1?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what exactly you're basing the distinction on. SNES DS and SNEmulDS can run from both slots. SnezziDS is one of the very few homebrew programs that runs on slot-2 devices only.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i don't play with the slot1 emus much so i have to ask...

it runs in a slot2 but in ds mode with a passme/nopass? he did post his original question in a gba forum so i'm wondering if he specificially needs .gba emulators.

-another world

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does SnezziDS run on the Ezflash 3-in-1. I heard that the 3in1 only supports gba roms (I can easily assume that snezziboy will work), but can it run the slot-2 only snezzids?

BTW: I've got an R4 in slot-1 if that would be required.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd need to flash the SnezziDS compilation to NOR flash and use the R4 to act as a NoPass, at which point it should work in theory. Keep in mind you'll only get one SNES game per *.nds file.

snuggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I've searched and looked around but I have a hard time coming to a final conclusion about this as well. If I own a slot1 device, and couple it with something like the "EZ 3-in-1", I'd be able to run SNES emulation perfectly? I've seen several compatibility lists floating around the net but they don't specify how well games work with a slot1+slot2 combo.

Thanks in advance for your help, I am ITCHING to replay Earthbound (on the go.)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only things a slot-2 device will give you in the way of SNES emulation:
1. The ability to use SnezziDS. Could be useful for some games.
2. The ability to use large games with SNES DS. Not really all that useful.
3. Ability to load large games into slot-2 RAM with SNEmulDS. I haven't found any games that really benefit from being ran from slot-2 RAM rather than using the paging system.

You will never be able to emulate the SNES perfectly on the DS, no matter what device you use. If you want to give SnezziDS a whirl to see if it's worth the investment, try it out in no$GBA, as it works perfectly well there.

I've heard Earthbound is playable, though not necessarily perfect. More than likely the compatibility lists will be the same, so you can use them to gauge a game's playability.

snuggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
You will never be able to emulate the SNES perfectly on the DS, no matter what device you use.

thank you very much for your help, but you're breaking my heart over here! I'm going to give the various options a whirl, but I was really hoping for 100% emulation : (

I was even considering buying a game boy micro + *some sort of card* if it promised me perfectly portable Earthbound but I guess that's not gonna happen either. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep writing Nintendo of America a letter a week, Andy Dufrane style.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound runs decently in the current Slot1 and Slot2 emulators but may require some tweaking to get te correct layer priority but there will be no 100% SNES emulation option for the Nintendo DS, Gameboy Micro, ect.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBM would be even worse for SNES emulation than the DS unfortunately. Load up the game in Snezziboy or SNES Advance and test the *.gba file in VisualBoy Advance to see how it would perform.

snuggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
The GBM would be even worse for SNES emulation than the DS unfortunately. Load up the game in Snezziboy or SNES Advance and test the *.gba file in VisualBoy Advance to see how it would perform.

thanks again for your help... i will definitely try that (and will report back later)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be sure to grab the updated snesadvance.dat file from the PocketHeaven boards if you decide to do that. This small document is crucial to getting some games to boot, and it's the thing that adds speedhacks to games to make them run faster.

Almost all the snesadvance.dat patches can also be added to the snezzi.dat file except for the few games already in snezzi.dat as they use different patches.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a rather large bump, but I wanted to confirm that SNESDS and SnezziDS both boot and run fine on the 3-in-1 expansion pack. You can even use PSRAM to load them if the file is 16MB or under. I've only built in one game to each file (I don't know if it'll work with multiple games in one DS file). I included SNESDS in this because the DLDI version doesn't work for me. I used the latest version of SnezziDS (I think it's 0.28a) and this version of SNESDS (which is the one WITHOUT DLDI):

http://danthemanms.googlepages.com/nesDS_s...slot1_usage.zip

SNESDS:

1: use the pre-DLDI version and use the regular builder to convert your SNES rom into a .gba rom.
2: put the file on your microSD and the microSD on your slot-1 card (I used a r4)
3: boot Rudolf's EXPloader
4: you can boot it into PSRAM or NOR and games will save and load fine (the touch screen options works fine).

SnezziDS:

1: get any version you wish and drag and drop your SNES roms onto the snezzi.exe program
2: this will create ds files for each of the files you dropped in
3: you need to change the ending extension to .gba to get the EXPloader boot it.
4: boot up EXPloader and load it into either PSRAM or NOR and it'll work great!

Again, sorry for bumping this. DanTheManMS said the 3-in-1 will only work in theory. I just confirmed it! I suppose you could potentially do this with other emulators/homebrew that came out for DS before DLDI was around.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know that my mirror link is of some use.

It should work with multiple games in the SNES DS compilation, as when you run from slot-2 the size limit is increased from 4 MB to 32 MB (or 16 if you're using PSRAM rather than NOR). SnezziDS compilations are one game per *.nds file to begin with.

The latest version of SnezziDS is indeed v0.28a and can be obtained from http://snezzi.pocketheaven.com

Quick question: does GBA ExpLoader handle the saves for these emulators correctly? They should save to GBA SRAM like any GBA application would, so it should be workable.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the save handling works fine in EXPloader. Ever since Rudolf changed from the 3-in-1 expansion tool to the GBA EXPloader, the program creates the save file in the same name as the rom (as opposed to the old version which creates a save file with the name of the internal file name). The 3-in-1 tool used to made emulators like Goomba and PocketNES to screw up the saves if you had more than 1 copy of them (the emulators shared internal save names even if the gba files were named differently). None of the saves will conflict with each other as long as you use the EXPloader. It doesn't matter at all, but I set mine to auto SRAM save on loading. I edited the INI file and take out the # symbol on this line:

No_MultiSave ! No Multi Save

I do this out of convenience and I don't need multi-saves.

I posted this for SNES DS because the DLDI version freezes on loading any game for me (I use an R4). It's fun to test out the various emulators. I never even needed NOR to run the games unless the game was over 16MB.

It seems that Snemulds broke somethings in the DKC games along the way. They're slower, they lost the smooth level transitions, and Horizontal lines appear on the screen in levels that have the swinging ceiling lights (in DKC1). I bet it was the line-by-line engine.

This was my first experience with a SNES emulator for DS (beside SnemulDS). It's fun to tinker with them.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, most people never try out SNES DS or SnezziDS anymore, though I guess that's understandable. The main problem with the DLDI version of SNES DS is that it doesn't apply the snesadvance.dat fixes, which are still necessary to prevent many games from freezing, hence why I uploaded the older version that lets you build the *.nds file yourself.

GrJk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an R4 card and I've tried running a few emulators on it.

NesDs - Runs flawlessly, but no save states. Are there any good Nes emus that have save states?

Lameboy - Runs flawlessly and saves perfectly. (GB and GBC)

SNemul - Glitchy at best. Many games freeze. Can anyone suggest a better one?

Thanks in advance!

GJ

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is a slot-1 card as it uses the DS game slot instead of the GBA slot. To answer your question though, SnemulDS is currently the best SNES DS emulator at the present time. However, Archeid (author of SnemulDS) just updated his site a few days ago and said he was going to try to pick up development again soon when he gets some free time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo