Another OS

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might as well try it on a virtual machine so you don't have to repartition your hard drive.

Of course you can try a live cd but you will be rather limited unless you decide to install it.

setya5785

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
just mount it on virtual drive, and then run wubi.exe
easier way to test ubuntu using all your hardware potetial (eh, minus slight slow down in hdd).
no need to create partition, and easily to remove via windows
biggrin.gif

Holified 2x

OP
Trophies
Website
tezzytuffstufffind.squarespace.com
XP
Country
United States

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most people who liked ubuntu 10.10 and lower are jumping ship because of unity.
the next easily accessible linux OS is linux mint, which is another distro that's based off ubuntu, only it's actually a fair competitor to ubuntu itself. linux mint is very good and if you don't want to run the new desktop environment "unity" (it sucks bawls) and want to keep it simple with gnome 2, then try out linux mint.
i prefer mint over ubuntu even before unity, but that's just me.
the latest linux mint still uses gnome 2 (think windows xp-ish type desktop) over canonical's (ubuntu's) unity, which was originally aimed at the smaller screens of netbooks.

i'm a fedora boy myself, and i'm loving me some gnome 3.

Holified 2x

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
most people who liked ubuntu 10.10 and lower are jumping ship because of unity.
the next easily accessible linux OS is linux mint, which is another distro that's based off ubuntu, only it's actually a fair competitor to ubuntu itself. linux mint is very good and if you don't want to run the new desktop environment "unity" (it sucks bawls) and want to keep it simple with gnome 2, then try out linux mint.
i prefer mint over ubuntu even before unity, but that's just me.
the latest linux mint still uses gnome 2 (think windows xp-ish type desktop) over canonical's (ubuntu's) unity, which was originally aimed at the smaller screens of netbooks.

i'm a fedora boy myself, and i'm loving me some gnome 3.
um many choices
unsure.gif

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holified 2x said:
um many choices
unsure.gif
primarily ubuntu and mint are what you want to look into.
you can just try them both.
if you really want to use ubuntu but don't want to deal with the unity desktop, just use kubuntu.
kubuntu is just ubuntu with the K desktop environment over the unity or gnome desktop environments.
KDE4 is much nicer than gnome 2 by default, it's kinda like comparing windows 7 to windows XP.
so kubuntu would be the way to go if you really want to stick with trying the user-friendly ubuntu OS.
there's always linux mint 11 with gnome 2 which is simpler than both KDE and unity DE.

gnome 3 is still very new, and still experiencing heavy development. it was just released a couple months ago and the only linux distributions which support it natively are fedora linux and openSUSE. those are both more advanced distributions of linux so i'd say to wait on trying gnome 3.

your three choices are:
ubuntu 11.04 with unity
kubuntu 11.04 which is ubuntu but with KDE instead of unity
mint 11, which is based on ubuntu 11.04 but with less spoonfeed, so you'll learn linux quicker and it has the simple gnome 2 desktop environment.

Holified 2x

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
Holified 2x said:
um many choices
unsure.gif
if you really want to use ubuntu but don't want to deal with the unity desktop, just use kubuntu.
kubuntu is just ubuntu with the K desktop environment over the unity or gnome desktop environments.
KDE4 is much nicer than gnome 2 by default, it's kinda like comparing windows 7 to windows XP.
so kubuntu would be the way to go if you really want to stick with trying the user-friendly ubuntu OS.
there's always linux mint 11 with gnome 2 which is simpler than both KDE and unity DE.

gnome 3 is still very new, and still experiencing heavy development. it was just released a couple months ago and the only linux distributions which support it natively are fedora linux and openSUSE. those are both more advanced distributions of linux so i'd say to wait on trying gnome 3.

your three choices are:
ubuntu 11.11 with unity
kubuntu 11.11 which is ubuntu but with KDE instead of unity
mint 11, which is based on ubuntu 11.11 but with less spoonfeed, so you'll learn linux quicker and it has the simple gnome 2 desktop environment.
the best outta them three is
unsure.gif
?

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holified 2x said:
Shabutie78 said:
Holified 2x said:
um many choices
unsure.gif

your three choices are:
ubuntu 11.11 with unity
mint 11, which is based on ubuntu 11.11 but with less spoonfeed, so you'll learn linux quicker and it has the simple gnome 2 desktop environment.
unsure.gif
?
personally, i'd go with linux mint 11.
but it might not be the same for you. it all depends on your own style.
you can try them all if you'd like - they're free.

wait a minute.
i just remembered you said you're on a netbook.
i guess try ubuntu first, since it's aimed at smaller screens with unity desktop environment.

Holified 2x

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
Holified 2x said:
Shabutie78 said:
Holified 2x said:
um many choices
unsure.gif

your three choices are:
ubuntu 11.11 with unity
unsure.gif
?
personally, i'd go with linux mint 11.
but it might not be the same for you. it all depends on your own style.
you can try them all if you'd like - they're free.
Yea ur right but i have a netbook will they still work sense there no cd drive an i don wanna try all of them thats gonna take mass memory an i adept quick

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they'll all work perfectly, you can install them all from a usb drive or micro SD card with usb adapter using unetbootin.
it's as simple as formatting your flash drive/micro SD, just point to the ISO image of your choice, then point to your usb drive letter, then start it.
and it won't take that much space. maybe ~15-20GB for all three OSes at once, but i'd recommend trying one out, removing it, trying another one, removing it, then trying the last one.
or you can just run them without even installing them.

unlike windows installations, with ubuntu-based linux distributions upon loading up an installation disc or installation usb device, you'll load up into the actual linux desktop as if you have it installed. you can test it, use all the software it comes with, and see how each desktop environment looks. though you won't be able to use unity since you won't have a graphics card driver installed.
the performance takes a serious hit though since you're running the entire operating system from the USB instead of the hard drive. but it's enough to get the feel for each OS (without proper hardware drivers though).

also, i'd take KDE off of your choices list since it's pretty resources-heavy.
ubuntu with unity and linux mint with gnome 2 are your best choices.
you can triple boot your netbook just as easily as dual booting it in case you can't decide which one you like the most.
i'm quad booting my laptop right now with fedora, openSUSE, arch linux, and windows 7 ultimate.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it only takes a 1GB flash drive to install linux mint or ubuntu
wink.gif

also, all these references i've made to ubuntu 11.11 i meant 11.04.
bad typo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...