Status
Not open for further replies.

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Class doesnt pertain to read speeds, only write so it doesnt matter

I should rephrase then. Dont go entirely by class, but the sandisks ULTRA class 10's DO indeed perform faster READ speeds then other cards. Reviews back this up as well. So if you do want shorter loading times, the Class 10 sandisk Ultras will give you a decent boost.

You can also find reviews that even though cards are all rated the same (take class 10 for example) there are class 10 cards that do indeed READ faster then other micro SD'd.

So for the only example I have, I can confirm that in real world tests, the class 10 Sandisk ULTRA does read and load games faster then the Class 4 Patriots.
This is proven and tested both in windows read speeds and 3ds loading times.

**************The more reviews I am finding online comparing class read speeds of cards the more Im thinking your statement is incorrect. There are hundreds of reviews and benchmarks showing and class 10 cards have an overall read speed advantage over class 4's and 6's

Also I would like to quote: "The SD Association defines standard speed classes indicating minimum performance to record video. Both read and write speeds must exceed the specified value."

So yeah, according to tests done on the internet and my personal testing on the 3ds, I would say its pretty conclusive that class speed does indeed increase read speeds as well and NOT just write speeds :)

*****I would also like to add that my Sandisk 64gb ULTRA is rated as a U1 and not a class 10

So folks, if you want a faster card, my recommendation is the Sandisk Extreme Plus U1 series cards with a read speed of
80 MB/s. (the card has a gold stripe on it)
It WILL read your roms faster and it WILL decrease loading times on some titles!

Ryo_kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Will it be possible to install updates and buy dlcs for different region roms? Just curious.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Will it be possible to install updates and buy dlcs for different region roms? Just curious.

Updates can be found in the eShop using the search function, so yes. Regarding DLC, since it has to be downloaded from the game, it's not possible.

Of course, if it's a unreleased game in your region, updates won't be available.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it seems that game updates from a certain region's eshop work on games of other regions.

Reactions: cearp

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any known errors for Resident Evil: Revelations in general or while playing on omega 2.1? I keep getting a black error screen asking me to go back to home. Also some of the games i move over (mainly Bravely Default & Kingdom Hearts) never seem to transfer properly, they always appear as just white files on the 3ds (using a 64GB, [probably fake] microsd on exfat) thanks.

Ryo_kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yeah, I mean, like will it be possible to install the updates through other means?
Like project mirai 2 has an update but since it's a japanese game, the update is of course not available in the us region eshop (which I'm on.)
Shame about the dlc though. I want to download the extra phoenix wright case but oh well.

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Are there any known errors for Resident Evil: Revelations in general or while playing on omega 2.1? I keep getting a black error screen asking me to go back to home. Also some of the games i move over (mainly Bravely Default & Kingdom Hearts) never seem to transfer properly, they always appear as just white files on the 3ds (using a 64GB, [probably fake] microsd on exfat) thanks.

Throw away your fake card and buy a new genuine one.

Reactions: Doran754

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola

All of those work perfectly fine on genuine high quality cards

Reactions: Doran754

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I should rephrase then. Dont go entirely by class, but the sandisks ULTRA class 10's DO indeed perform faster READ speeds then other cards. Reviews back this up as well. So if you do want shorter loading times, the Class 10 sandisk Ultras will give you a decent boost.

You can also find reviews that even though cards are all rated the same (take class 10 for example) there are class 10 cards that do indeed READ faster then other micro SD'd.

So for the only example I have, I can confirm that in real world tests, the class 10 Sandisk ULTRA does read and load games faster then the Class 4 Patriots.
This is proven and tested both in windows read speeds and 3ds loading times.

**************The more reviews I am finding online comparing class read speeds of cards the more Im thinking your statement is incorrect. There are hundreds of reviews and benchmarks showing and class 10 cards have an overall read speed advantage over class 4's and 6's

Also I would like to quote: "The SD Association defines standard speed classes indicating minimum performance to record video. Both read and write speeds must exceed the specified value."

So yeah, according to tests done on the internet and my personal testing on the 3ds, I would say its pretty conclusive that class speed does indeed increase read speeds as well and NOT just write speeds :)

*****I would also like to add that my Sandisk 64gb ULTRA is rated as a U1 and not a class 10

So folks, if you want a faster card, my recommendation is the Sandisk Extreme Plus U1 series cards with a read speed of
80 MB/s. (the card has a gold stripe on it)
It WILL read your roms faster and it WILL decrease loading times on some titles!

Don't buy San-Disc cards I have been reading up on them, there a lot of angry customers out there that have bought San-Disc makes that report after a while they pack up on formatting the card, something about every time you put your card in the reader it keeps asking to be formatted but you cannot it locks itself apparently, usually this happens about 12 months or so down the line.

apachehavok

Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Don't buy San-Disc cards I have been reading up on them, there a lot of angry customers out there that have bought San-Disc makes that report after a while they pack up on formatting the card, usually about 12 months or so down the line.

what does "pack up on formatting the card" mean?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i had a samsung card just stop working after formatting, only had it 1 month, it was a legit card too.....just sorting out a replacement now

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so did gateway take down the 2.1 omega update i dont see it anywhere i got it yesterday downloaded but i was just wondering if there is an issue with the software

No, they may be having some "technical problems" in the process of changing the layout of their site.

elunesgrace

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't buy San-Disc cards I have been reading up on them, there a lot of angry customers out there that have bought San-Disc makes that report after a while they pack up on formatting the card, something about every time you put your card in the reader it keeps asking to be formatted but you cannot it locks itself apparently, usually this happens about 12 months or so down the line.

No offence but this is simply incorrect advice.

Sandisk holds all the patents on this industry, so everyone else making this stuff has to pay a royalty to Sandisk and they will not generally not have the same quality as Sandisk.

Reactions: gamefan5

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish they would make the dumping tools public. BigBlueBox seems to only be dumping from EU, where I like my US dumps. Not to mention, we could get a broader range of games.
BigBlueBox had many interesting releases. Probably they already have their own custom firmware for the 3DS that can extract ROMs automatically while the other release teams still use the first hardware or Gateway.

Yeah. I find it highly interesting that prior to GW dump feature release, most releases were done by BBB and that they were EU dumps. Also, the NFO for the eshop dumps and 3dsware dumps seem to be thought provoking. I suppose any myriad of conspiracies can come to mind given these few interesting factual titbits.

Has anyone found a sure fire way of getting around this fragmentation error in multironm menu?. It seems to be an issue I have emailed GW about it see what they say but I thought I had solved the issue once and for all but it reared its ugly head again today several times and its getting quite annoying now. I have tested my card out and its legit, its an 8GB San-Disc so its real. Apart from defraging the drive and copying all files at once not chopping and changing is there another way? I carn't see having to put all files on at once when you just want to change one game is necessary I mean that could really become frustrating in the end to do all the time. Some good help would be nice. Thanks :)

Just because we have a difference in opinion, I'm not going to diss you.

Have you tried generating a new rom using gateway's rom split too? It generates a 3d0 file which you can simply rename back to 3ds. The fragmentation issue is NOT RELATED to disk fragmentation and flash drives do not get fragmented. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001064.htm

No offence but this is simply incorrect advice.

Sandisk holds all the patents on this industry, so everyone else making this stuff has to pay a royalty to Sandisk and they will not generally not have the same quality as Sandisk.

Yes. Sandisk is the pioneer. But recently there have been multiple (well, actually rather a lot) users reporting that their mSD cards are failing after a while. I got this reading through stuff on XDA (android forum). Generally people over there recommend you to get Samsung mSD cards. BUTTTT that being said, there are a shitload of fake Samsung cards recently. Sandisk less so. This could be due to their respective popularity?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah. I find it highly interesting that prior to GW dump feature release, most releases were done by BBB and that they were EU dumps. Also, the NFO for the eshop dumps and 3dsware dumps seem to be thought provoking. I suppose any myriad of conspiracies can come to mind given these few interesting factual titbits.

Just because we have a difference in opinion, I'm not going to diss you.

Have you tried generating a new rom using gateway's rom split too? It generates a 3d0 file which you can simply rename back to 3ds. The fragmentation issue is NOT RELATED to disk fragmentation and flash drives do not get fragmented. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001064.htm

Yes. Sandisk is the pioneer. But recently there have been multiple (well, actually rather a lot) users reporting that their mSD cards are failing after a while. I got this reading through stuff on XDA (android forum). Generally people over there recommend you to get Samsung mSD cards. BUTTTT that being said, there are a shitload of fake Samsung cards recently. Sandisk less so. This could be due to their respective popularity?

Some empirical facts that occurred to me.
Some microSD stopped writing and then reading in less than 2 years, they were all Kingston and Sandisk branded (not ultra), but I can't have any way to tell if they were genuine or not (the package was surely equal to genuine ones, so it's not a totally cheap clone). The bigger the capacity in less time they would stop working, but all of them only died after trying to write new bigger files, while they was only writing save data from games they worked like a charm.

Some of them died even if I did few rewrites of big files, since I receive lots of those microSD from my credit card rewards system I don't swap the files on them a lot. Some died while using flashcards (Acekard 2, SuperCard DS Two), none died yet due to gateway (but it's only a matter of time) and lost 1 while using on those memory stick adaptors (they are actually more reliable than memory sticks that you find now on Brazil or online retailers that ships to here).

Also sometime I could get the copy process to work after using the windows copy command with the legacy prompt, but even with it, some rewrites later the card would stop working definitively.

I can't prove the case sinceI have no way to know if I got genuine cards, but it does give impression that the technology of microSD cards got less reliable when bigger sizes got more popular. Probably to force people to buy new cards when the old died (while I still have ancient 2 GB Kingston and 4gb Adata cards that I bought before 2008 and they still work both in reading and writing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: