Homebrew Question Android users, have you had a type C cable/OTG adapter just stop working for sending payloads?

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had my Switch for roughly a year now, have been using SX OS, and sending payloads using my Moto Z2 Force since the day I bought it. For roughly 6 months I was using one of the most popular OTG adapters on Amazon and an Anker type C cable to send my payloads. After a trip to MicroCenter I built a dongle with a Trinket M0, used that for roughly 3 months, and after a beer or 7 at a party one night I ended up breaking it so I went back to using my phone. Everything has been fine until a couple weeks ago when I started getting "Sending payload failed at offset 65536" when using NXLoader or anything of Android payload app. No matter what I do it will not boot from my phone anymore. Here's the weird part, take a look at the troubleshooting I've done:

* Same OTG adapter with different cable and will not work
* Different OTG adapter (same exact brand and model, just a spare I have that's never been used) with 2 different cables and will not boot
* Boot using the same 2 USB cables from my PC and it works fine
* Use my OTG adapter and cable on a friends S10 and it will not boot
* Use my friends OTG and USB cable on his S10 (same exact brand cable and adapter) boots fine
* Use both my OTG and USB cables on my friends S10 and it will not boot
* Use my friends OTG and USB cable on my phone and it will not both his or mine

Have anyone had something similar happen to them?

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Pixel 3 XL USB C <-> USB C cable for over a year, no problems. I only had to allow the SXOS app permissions when prompted the first time. I don't have your model of phone so no way to test what the problem could be.

I know this doesn't help your immediate situation; however, I recommend native USB C phones for your next purchase. Wish I could do more other than recommend a factory reset on your phone and start from scratch.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My Galaxy S8 charging cable doesnt work for sending payloads, macbook type c cable does and i used only that one for more than a year, then i bought another one, because macbook's one is huuge and isnt mine, solely for the nintendo switch.

I keep him on my case, when needed i just pop him out and plug on the S8. Voilá.

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Pixel 3 XL USB C <-> USB C cable for over a year, no problems. I only had to allow the SXOS app permissions when prompted the first time. I don't have your model of phone so no way to test what the problem could be.

I know this doesn't help your immediate situation; however, I recommend native USB C phones for your next purchase. Wish I could do more other than recommend a factory reset on your phone and start from scratch.

My phone is native type C but when I tried a type C <> type C cable it would never work. Had to use an OTG.

Vennetto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
My phone is native type C but when I tried a type C <> type C cable it would never work. Had to use an OTG.

Seems like you are using a charging cable only. There are USB C cables that only work for charging and no data at all, those cables normally are not BensonApproved.

Try to buy an USB C to USB C that is BensonApproved, for example I use AmazonBasics USB C to USB C 2.0 and also I use a Thunderbolt 3 Belkin cable and both work marvelous.

Last edited by Vennetto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01284-1