Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by LightyKD, Jan 24, 2018.

1. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    Who told you that? PS4 cores are clocked higher and are faster per clock than the switch cpu. It's not even close. Switch is closer to PS3.

Yes it is, xbox 360 uses Direct X 9 and Windows APIs.

Ok, I get you don't understand analogies. There is quite a bit in common with repeatedly optimising code and repeatedly compressing data.

Please tell me exactly how you would optimise a ps2 emulator "quite a lot". There are multiple chips with tight communication, there is no magic way you can optimise that. Games that don't rely on it are easier, but a ps2 emulator that only runs a handful of the titles is pointless.

Didn't you say it wasn't full speed? Speed is a fundamental requirement, otherwise anything turing complete with enough storage can emulate a ps2.

Right, because the more accurate you make the ps2 emulation, the slower it gets.

Last edited by smf, Feb 9, 2019
  2. kevin corms
    This message by kevin corms has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  3. smf
    This message by smf has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  4. kevin corms
    This message by kevin corms has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  5. smf
    This message by smf has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  6. kevin corms
    Feb 9, 2019
  7. smf
    Feb 9, 2019
  8. kevin corms
    Feb 9, 2019
  9. smf
    Feb 9, 2019
  10. kevin corms
    Feb 9, 2019
  11. mattytrog
    This message by mattytrog has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  12. smf
    Feb 9, 2019
  13. kevin corms
    Feb 9, 2019
  14. bobdamnit
    This message by bobdamnit has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  15. mattytrog
    This message by mattytrog has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019, Reason: off-topic.
    Feb 9, 2019
  16. kevin corms
    This message by kevin corms has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019.
    Feb 9, 2019
  17. mattytrog
    Feb 9, 2019
  18. kevin corms
    Feb 9, 2019
  19. smf
    Feb 9, 2019
  20. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Actually it depends also on the approach you are using for emulating the system. If you want cycle accurate emulation get ready to invest into a decent gaming PC. But if you trade accuracy for speed you may be able to get something playable on the Switch. As for who will code that emu full of speedhacks is another story.

Anyway just my 2 cents. Let's not fill this thread with more offtopic.

kevin corms likes this.
  21. kevin corms
    This message by kevin corms has been removed from public view by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019.
    Feb 9, 2019
  22. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Conversations about ps3, xbox, gamecube, etc, and their cpu and emulation that have zero to do with android on/or switch are fun, but should be in their own thread. Not this one. If it's relevant for comparisons, that's fine, but try and avoid bickering about stuff :P Feel free to make a thread about the topic though.

Everyone try and get back on topic of Android OS on switch, please.

Last edited by osaka35, Feb 9, 2019
  23. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Back on topic....

Since it's likely that we're getting Android TV OS soon, whats the first 1-3 things many of you will do?

1) Setup Philo TV (essentially turning my Switch into my cable box)
    2) Setup Netflix
    3) Setup Kodi

:grog: -eventually I'll start adding some of my Android games but that will come much later.

24. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Try War Thunder for the 1st time just to see the performance on android :)

25. XC-3730C

XC-3730C GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2014
    United States
    LightyKD,

Thank you for bringing this back on topic (these kinds of topics often result in counterproductive argument and speculation, imo).

If were are to get AndroidTV, what I would like to see is:

- Hulu
    - Plex client (or server like Shield TV)
    - support for side loading non-AndroidTV apps

This is just my want list, and I don't want it to turn into an argument about what may or may not be technically possible.

Last edited by XC-3730C, Feb 9, 2019
  26. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Yes thank you and Im sorry for being part of it. I feel the need to defend myself when someone starts attacking me with strawman argument for no reason. I shouldnt have gotten dragged into talking about a bunch of different apis and architectures and whatever other non important information was put out. Apparently the code for that emulator was stolen, and they scammed 10,000 people out of $10... . Further research shows they are just using PCSX2 and jit, im surprised it runs as well as it does!

https://pcsx2.net/286-the-pcsx2-team-s-statement-regarding-the-damonps2-emulator.html

Last edited by kevin corms, Feb 9, 2019
  27. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    I would like a 4k capable video player with hdr support, I wonder if we could port some already existing shield apps?

28. bylaws

bylaws Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Few things:
    Initially it will only work in handheld mode till we get the i2c mitm working
    Netflix will only be 480p unless someone wants to port tlk from the shield tv.
    4k is impossible from a hw standpoint (iirc dock max resolution is 1080p)
    This is based off the same kernel as lakka (just rebased and heavily modified) and will be using either the pixel c blobs or nouveau depending on what is faster.

Last edited by bylaws, Feb 9, 2019
  29. ELY_M

ELY_M Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    This is something I want to try! I love android myself.

30. Hamdan

Hamdan Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    How do you know it's going to come out soon?

31. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Is it possible that a USB c to HDMI cable could allow 4K? I don’t think horizon os supports such a thing, but maybe with android? I’m guessing someone would have to write a driver for it assuming it’s possible.

Last edited by kevin corms, Feb 10, 2019
  32. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    You just answered a long running question I had! So it WAS the dock that limit's the Switch's resolution output. I guess I can understand Nintendo wanting to lessen the blow of the Switch's initial price but DAMN, they could have totally sold the Switch on 4K movie streaming and even added 4K game streaming as a perk of their online service.

I guess my big questions will be...

1) Will the OS be on/load from the SD card or the Switch's internal memory?

2) Will we need some sort of dual partition of multiple SD cards so that Switch games and Android apps can have more than enough space?

3) Will there support for installing Android apps to USB?

It might be early for answers to all of that but for a guy with a legit Android games collection of 200+ games a variation of those questions are always on my mind every time I buy a new Android device.

33. bylaws

bylaws Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Not a cable, but there is a chance an active converter could, but that would need me to correctly implement the usb c PD spec which might take a while and isn't a top priority.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

1. The OS will be in the sdcard
    2. You'll need to create 1 2gb partition for system and then 1 partition of the remaining space for userdata.
    3. Yes, but only if you have a powered hub. It also works in dock but that's useless till we get usb display out working.

Last edited by bylaws, Feb 10, 2019
  34. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    @bylaws just asking if possible I ask, when it will be released? Btw good work!

35. bylaws

bylaws Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    No ETAs as I have no idea how many more issues I will come across. Current issue is in mesa and its quite late in boot process. I guess maybe end of the month or maybe in a week, i don't really know.

36. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Jul 28, 2015
    Turkey
    Oh, ok. Take your time sir.

37. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    And I feel the need to defend myself against people accusing me of posting strawmen and attacking me, just because I replied to a post and informed them that what they'd posted was wrong.

If you were sorry then you wouldn't have accused me again.

But yeah, Android will be great. Is it a separate OS that needs to be booted? Or is it running on user land Linux that runs under HorizonOS?

Last edited by smf, Feb 10, 2019
  38. bylaws

bylaws Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It is the exact same as lakka in how you boot it

Natehaxx and wicksand420 like this.
  39. Natehaxx

Natehaxx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2017
    Eritrea