Android on Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LightyKD, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I'm leaving this here because we all know that it's coming soon. The questions are how soon and how would it be implemented. OK ppl, let's start talking.

2. Ryanrocks462

Ryanrocks462 Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    tbh if your on android ur already making life mistakes XD #ios

3. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    It could be, but for now Android don't tun in PowerPC, well there are some project to port android to Power arquitechture, it could work with Wii U.

4. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Meanwhile the wiiu gamepad would still have a bigger screen than an iphone and be better for emulators...... #########hashtag hashtag lol haha noob blah blah ios

But seriously this thread is bound to be reposted again even though the answer is: "no but kinda yes."

Yepi69, Huntereb and Kippykip like this.
  5. wolf_

wolf_ GBAtemp Fan

Jan 22, 2012
    United States
    everyone has their choices I for one like android but you don't see me going around and calling being who use apple a mistake

oddMLan, Yepi69, gamefan5 and 3 others like this.
  6. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    We do?

Apart from what Goku Jr. said, this has been discussed before with the Wii, here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/android-on-wii.355945/. While there are ways to make Android run on the platform the Wii U is built around, we're talking about highly customized hardware. It's not as easy as just making a PowerPC port and loading it. Furthermore, what's the point of having Android on Wii U? I can't imagine it running in any good capacity. Almost every possible app for Android would be incompatible and the Wii U does not have the resources to properly emulate another architecture such as ARM, for which Android is designed.

You'd be better off buying an Ouya. Any advantages to having Android on Wii U that you can think of can likely be made as homebrew apps for the Wii U, whenever that is feasible/possible, and surely take less time than essentially creating an operating system from scratch.

Taleweaver and yuyuyup like this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    So you would turn a "shit" spec console into a shit Android device.
    Wow...
    Just.. wow..

Exactly that.

8. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    NO..

9. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I don't like Ouya, but it seems to be the best option for Android Gaming.

10. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    From what I've heard (friends' experiences), it's actually nice for installing XBMC, etc. If you want to play games and absolutely must have Android games on your TV, this modified version of Ouya is the one to get: http://www.gummowned.com/?p=297. The Ouya controller is worse than a worn out Xbox 360 controller with sticky analog sticks.

11. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Is there news or something ? Is this post designed to make a monkey out of me ?

12. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    The things I don't like Ouya aren't the controller, I didn't test it anyway, I don't like it's technical specs, and I'm not interested in the Androids games, I can buy a phone or downloading a Android emu in my PC for playing those games.

13. shinkodachi

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Can't think of any Android (or mobile) exclusive game that's a must-have or doesn't at least have an alternate version for PC/consoles... I'm not forgiving Cave for not making DoDonPachi Maximum available for anything else but mobile devices, but then again I still have Dai Ou Jou to beat on Black Label... ;)

14. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    What about that Nvidia Shield thing? It's an Android-based device too for gaming.

15. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Oh, I didn't know what was Nvidia Shield, I searched google and I see Nvidia Shield is the best option for Android Gaming! it has a better GPU, better CPU, and the Double RAM, but I still prefering a console like Wii U.

16. OncleJulien

OncleJulien tool of peers

Apr 6, 2009
    United States
    Los Angeles

• All posts should be made in legible English. Do not make posts or topics in foreign languages, they are likely to be closed. We will be lenient on this rule from time to time as long as it doesn't become a habit amongst members.

thank you for your future compliance.

mercuryshadow09 and loco365 like this.
  17. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth

Wat if I don pley bye ur rulezz, wat are u gone do ban me?

Just Kidding I'm joking, please don't ban me.:bow:

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    AH! AHA! HA HA HA! No. :)
    What I do want is a loader for Linux/UNIX-flavoured OS'es of all-sorts. I wouldn't be so sure about Android though, I don't know if it has a PowerPC build and that'd be pretty much required to run it on the main console. There's an ARM in there as well, but it's treated as a security chip and I don't think it could be used, plus it's rather weak.

google and gamefan5 like this.
  19. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Oh yeah, I forget that ARM chip, if it could be used don't whink it is very weak, I have a phone with 1 core and 600MHz and it runs well Android 2.2, that security chip it's Dual-Core with 1GHz of speed, it could run Android 2.2 without problems I think.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yes, but it's running background processes of the hardware like verification and such and I don't think it's actually accessible for developers. If this'd be a launcher or a VM of sorts then it would not be enough juice in my opinion, it'd have to be a full-blown bootloader, and that's a lot of reverse engineering right there. I don't think it'd work that well, it'd be easier to focus on the more powerful of the two beasts in the Wii U and work with that. I guess we'll see - it's not like we need Android, any Linux/UNIX will do.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.