Android on Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LightyKD, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah, I know, we don't need Android, only I was saying, you are right, that CPU it wouldn't be accessible for developers, but if we can exploit the Wii U and have all the system control... well I'm only thinking, anyway, it will took a lot of work for nothing, Android in Wii U would be useless for me, as I say, I have my phone for it xD.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  2. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Guys, keep in mind not every ARM is the same as the other. Nintendo 3DS runs on ARM and getting Android there is out of question.

3. Ryanrocks462

Ryanrocks462 Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    actually iPhone 5 S is the perfect phone for emulators i can run n64 no problem especially because the 64 bit arichteture that android doesn't have yet XD

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Getting Android on the 3DS is out of question because the hardware is pitifully weak - it's a dual core 266MHz CPU, you'd have to re-write the bootloader to even dream about an Android distribution... Dingux, now that's a more likely scenario.

Again, the problem with the Wii U's ARM is that it's used as an I/O processor by the hardware so it's inaccessible for developers, at least in theory (you could always coax it with some magic, but I think that defeats the purpose and would take forever).

The
    "64-bit architecture" doesn't help you emulate the N64, I'm afraid - you're emulating the original processor. That, and... well... even if you were natively supporting the software, the N64 rarely used 64-bit mode because it wasted memory, most games are bog standard 32-bit ones.

5. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    So... we need to forget that ARM security processor, the only thing that I think it could work is a Power adapted version of Android, and then see if it works in Wii U (and later we need to see what is working).
    Or simple way is trying to port it to the Wii U using a Wii U dev kit (or extract some CPU,GPU,etc info using a hack) with the Android SDK.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You don't really need to adapt Android to PowerPC. In fact, doing so would render some applications inoperable (anything that uses NDK, to my knowledge) since they contain native code (Parts of NDK-made binaries bounce off the VM and run almost on bare metal, so they're "Designed for ARM" by nature), not to mention that the actual VM used by Android is coded for ARM - some form of emulation would be preferable here, even if slow.

I still think that bog standard PPC Linux is a better idea, it's practically "ready to run" out of the box - you could easily adapt Wii distributions to work on the Wii U just fine.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The nvidia Shield (I have one) is a MUCH better gaming choice than an OUYA. And iOS is the equivalent of "freedom" in the United States, LOL.

8. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Forgive me if I didn't understand you, I understand the part as you say it's not necessary port Android to PowerPC, the Android apps it won't work very well with PowerPC, it's that as you say? the next you say something with Linux, if I'm not wrong, Wii U currently have Linux with it's 3 cores support, it's Trinux, but I don't kow if it let you to use full Wii U hardware like the 2GB of ram, the full specs of the GPU with it's 550MHz clock, or the 1.24GHz clock of the CPU.

9. Ryanrocks462

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    well idk about u but retroArch lets u run all emulators in one app at full speed so apple is still better hehe ^^

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No thanks to Apple or their usually obsolete hardware. The 4S and 5S are quite nice though, I'll give them that. Not to mention that RetroArch is available on Android.

gamefan5 likes this.
  11. Ryanrocks462

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    oh haha lol well i don't wanna argue people have there choices ^^ my main thing is i want home-brew on the WiiU

12. Goku Junior

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    That's why I like more the Samsung Galaxy S5 :D

gamefan5 likes this.
  13. Ryanrocks462

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    pshhhh lol idk about u but me its apple4life ^^

14. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    There are advantages to android such as not needing to root your devices for certain emulators. Also it feels like the emulators for android have a more freedom with customizing your controls, cheats, speed, etc. Plus it has a full speed Nds emulator and Dreamcast emu.

On topic: Why android on wii u? What would be a benefit?

15. Ryanrocks462

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    you don't need to jailbreak your iPhone for retro roach and retroroach is all the emulators in one app which allows all cheats and you are able to customize the controls on retroroach for iPhone solo yea ^^

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What I mean is that fully porting Android to PowerPC, along with the VM, would still not make it a fully operational Android distribution, much like it's the case with Android for x86 - sometimes emulation just works out better. As for the tricore Linux, it's available, but it runs in Wii Mode and does not utilize the full potential of the system. I'm well-aware of Maxternal's work, but a native Wii U version would be better by leaps and bounds. ;)

17. Ergo

Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2008
    United States

Uh-uh.

Apple (of course) claims they are "diagnostic tools" but what else are they going to say at this point? "We left your entire phone wide-open to the world, but we promise we didn't tell anybody about it and nobody knows about it"?

(And yes, apologies for the threadjack, but defending Apple at this point has become, basically, an impossibility.)

(And no: I am hardly a Droid fan of any sort, but it's down to the least of the evils at this point...which might be BlackBerry :P)

18. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Well if you have a good phone for those emulators such as an iPhone 5. I had an android phone that was very low in terms of specs and it was capable of running many heavy ds, n64, and ps1 games at good speed. Imagine an android phone such as a galaxy s3-4-5. Also I don't like retroarch, in my opinion I prefer separate emulators as they seem more stable and suitable to me.

19. Ryanrocks462

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    i don't get what u mean all i know is apple is better and thats that i mean look at the 5S sales 9 million sold on lauch day #yay and they are preparing for the 6 which is going to be even bigger

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In iOS' defense, at the very least it uses (for the most part) Objective-C for development which is leaps and bounds better than going through Google's idiotic Virtual Machine setup which serves nothing other than wasting everybody's time. God, I hate coding in Java and it's just impossible to avoid on Android, even when you're using NDK to compile native binaries instead.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

gamefan5 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted