Emulation Analogue pocket vs nintendo switch

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Analogue pocket is out!!!!!!! FPGA on a pocket device....all youtubers got his own and looks awesome!, I wish I have one but....

How does it compares to a nintendo switch running retroarch....does the portable systems make a difference with fpga vs software emulation....

it allready have a dock
it allready have the cores
it allready look & sound great!

Don´t get me wrong....i hope some day have one analogue pocket and I will, but sometimes I think old systems with years of software emulation progress make me think I don´t miss so much!

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Analogue pocket is out!!!!!!! FPGA on a pocket device....all youtubers got his own and looks awesome!, I wish I have one but....

How does it compares to a nintendo switch running retroarch....does the portable systems make a difference with fpga vs software emulation....

it allready have a dock
it allready have the cores
it allready look & sound great!

Don´t get me wrong....i hope some day have one analogue pocket and I will, but sometimes I think old systems with years of software emulation progress make me think I don´t miss so much!
200+$ to play old systems, not even including ps1/n64...huh, i mean, as a piece of tech, it looks cool, plays cartridges, but from the usability perspective its almost pointless, maybe a cool thing for analogue enthusiasts. Why even compare it to switch running RA/linux/android... Of course switch is more powerful and better overall.

Last edited by bad361,

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Should I buy it today or wait until it is available on 2023 and beyond?

I have gba sp with everdive x5 and I dont play it very often.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Software emulation always has some degree of input lag, and even more lag to deal with buffering audio. That's the main thing that FPGA eliminates. It's a very nice feeling for action games when your button presses are instantly put into motion, especially on a CRT. Still your brain can anticipate and adjust to input lag so its not needed to succeed at most games. Can really count though if you are making micro-corrections in response to the screen though, like a precision platformer with good air control (e.g. mario), or hitting block/dodge fast on a fighting game.

The current analogue dock is pretty bare-bones, if you just want handhelds on the TV, MisterFPGA actually does a better job. Retroarch on Switch also has no problem emulating any system the Pocket will ever be capable of. But this is the only handheld FPGA game in town and probably will be for many years, plus the screen resolution is pretty insane.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can you even compare the two? the systems it does support already run at 60FPS on switch and switch supports more consoles such as n64, ps1, and dreamcast

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I post this becouse recently I sell an atari 2600 with harmony cart and a colecovision with an atarimax, love it, with av mod the 2, but image quality wasn´t very good (my nes with av out is better) and the controllers was very hard and unresponsive....I have wii2600 and colem on my wii, image quality is ypbpr and controller are perfect and with multiple options (wii2600 uses giroscope to emulate paddles, colem has a a build in numeric keypad on screen),

I love atari and coleco games but not as much as beyond the nes and emulation seems very good for me on that systems...fpga shure is better but...how much....does that old systems have a difference in emulation vs fpga?

I think that for 8bit portable machines maybe is the same.....

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When it was announced, I didn't give a shit but after reading and watching countless reviews I can tell you: Oh boy, I want one and I want it NOW!
The pixel per inch rate is more than twice the rate of the Switch... only to have the aspect ratio of the Game Boy. It has 10 times the resolution of the original GB which is just ridiculous. You can't have a better experience while playing Game Boy (Color) games other than on this device.

So it totally depends on whether you care for GB games or not. I love GB games and thus I'm on fire now and placed my order. Unfortunately I'm damn late to the party and won't receive mine before 2023 but that gives the OS only more time to mature.

The same applies to Game Gear games. However when it comes to Game Boy Advance games, things aren't that clear. The device has been created as a "Game Boy first" handheld thus it has the original GB aspect ratio as already mentioned. That leads for black bars on top and bottom when playing Game Boy Advance games. You could argue that it makes more sense to enjoy those on a Switch with RetroArch instead. Due to the incredibly high pixel densitiy, they still look fantastic von the Analogue Pocket though while being on a screen size that's almost exactly as big as on the original GBA.

When it comes to SNES, Genesis or Arcade games I'm definitely voting for the Nintendo Switch though (given there would ever be cores for those systems on the Analogue Pocket that is).

But I'm looking forward to playing GB, GBC, GG and GBA games on the Pocket once it arrives. Also Neo Geo Pocket and Atari Lynx games and at least for me, this is the perfect device to date to enjoy these systems.

FPGA is something else and the screen is nothing but freakin' outstanding!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Aesthetics wise its simply beautiful, no denying that. Price is crazy though and a n3DS makes GB/GBC look and sound way better than ever before with the quality of life improvements like save states:

GB games especially look phenomenally good on the IPS screen and you've also got the flawless emulation of so many other systems without the need to buy goofy looking adapters,

Would've bought an AP if it were £100 just because but as it stands there are far better options.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,
Reactions: Takokeshi

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aesthetics wise its simply beautiful, no denying that. Price is crazy though and a n3DS makes GB/GBC look and sound way better than ever before with the quality of life improvements like save states:

GB games especially look phenomenally good on the IPS screen and you've also got the flawless emulation of so many other systems without the need to buy goofy looking adapters,

Would've bought an AP if it were £100 just because but as it stands there are far better options.

I got your point. Have a N3DSXL too which plays all GB(C) games fine but the screen of the Analogue Pocket is way better for those games. I also prefer the form factor (vertical vs horizontal) as it gives me the most 90's GB vibes. :P

However the Pocket is not for anyone and that's fine. Most people prefer hacked Switches, 3DS, Vitas, PSPs or chinese emulation handhelds since all of them play way more systems than the Pocket and some think that it's worth getting the Pocket to only play GB, GBC, GBA and GG on it (including me). :)

Reactions: Takokeshi

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I don't deny that at all, its just very overpriced when you consider everything. Thing is they aren't aiming at people like me and the people who will buy it don't care.

Personally I was amazed at how good GB/GBC games looked on the n3DS as you could pick out so much more detail and it was way better than I ever recall (no blur!). Granted the AP is that fidelity x 1000 in the correct form factor and nostalgia is a hell of drug which makes it an easy sell to H.E.N.R.Y market they're aiming at but out of all previous options like PSP, Vita, Switch etc... GB/GBC titles just fit the n3DS so well.

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think people are completely missing the purpose and use-case for FPGA. None of the FPGA-based systems should be looked at in comparison to emulation, because it is NOT emulation. An FPGA-based console will always be better in terms of gameplay, latency, and (depending on who you ask) video, but they will not be able to match a modern device running RA or any standalone emulators in terms of ease-of-use, price, or emulation comforts (bezels, aggressive shaders, etc). In ten or so years, FPGAs will be worth a revisit in this aspect, but for most people, emulation is not only just fine, but likely preferred.

Personally, I love my FPGA devices. My mister stack has a permanent home at my CRT, preserving my cart collection and giving near 100% accuracy. Still won't delete my Switch's Android card for emulation on the big screen, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE