Hacking An interesting rumor about the 3DS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread is funny, but of course the rumor is bull.

Simple reason. I'd be running around sticking a flashcart into any 3DS and all would get bricked
tongue.gif

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
grimtendo said:
QUOTE said:
In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=152082

This doesn't look good.

I still think this is absolute garbage. Just look at my post 2 posts over this one.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
grimtendo said:
QUOTE said:
In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.

This doesn't look good.
The comments on that page anger me so, but I'm not bothered to register, so fuck it.

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*sigh*

I see this as bull.

On the off chance it isn't, this seriously pisses me off.

I was planning on getting into developing homebrew with the 3DS.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, just like the 3.56 PS3 rootkit.

Bull. Shit.

BobTheJoeBob said:
grimtendo said:
QUOTE said:

This doesn't look good.
The comments on that page anger me so, but I'm not bothered to register, so fuck it.
Those comments kept me entertained in my free period today
smile.gif
"pirators are scum they should burn go nintendo lol!"

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how would they track them?
afaik if it's flashcart, it'll probably make itself look like a legal cart and will think that you're actually playing a legal game
they could've done this on the wii too, i mean it has a log as well, just a minor update and they can track anyone who's using HBC

still don't see it removed as long as u didn't use official update

on the other hand, hacked wiis could get unofficial updates that would prevent bricking the system and leave the HBC on, while still having the updates
then again i've seen chips that blocks update features or direct the connection to a different server

they could get their hands on the flashcart or the hack and release an update that does the bricking duty according to their build

this was told to wii users, told to psp users aso. and it's still not fixed or things like that

unless the hacking will be done by not bypassing this "tracking" thing, i don't see this bricking happen

and yes, they can brick your system, they won't be sued because you used something on your system that was not approved by N
you can see this warning in both wii and ds manuals and afaik the wii update warns you as well

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Almost anything is possible if you contractually agree to it in a EULA.Common misconception. If it's illegal at all than agreeing to it in an EULA does not change that it's illegal. If you read Nintendo's EULAs they even state that if part of it is found to contradict law then they have the right to fix that part without notifying you (and the rest of it is still in effect).

Antoligy said:
QUOTE said:
“In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.”Source: GoNintendo
That's the same sort of warning on all sorts of products, it's their scare tactic to get users to not use unauthorized products.

QUOTE( @ Mar 7 2011, 06:11 AM)
What??? Piracy isn't a gift! it's stealing! We all know it, but refuse to acknowledge this fact.
No, it's not a fact. Theft is larceny, which is under criminal law. Piracy is copyright infringement, which is under civil law (because nobody is directly deprived of anything by the act of pirating). They're not even under the same branch of law, let alone being the same act.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope Nintendo ban consoles running pirate copies from online on this generation. If they really want to have a decent online support, this is their first priority.

kyomagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
I hope Nintendo ban consoles running pirate copies from online on this generation. If they really want to have a decent online support, this is their first priority.

Wont happen nless the 3ds has a mac adress

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Antoligy said:
QUOTE said:
“In case if you use equipment which is illegal or unapproved by Nintendo or if you do customization which is unapproved by Nintendo, there is a possibility that Nintendo 3DS become non bootable by system update.”
Source: GoNintendo
That's the same sort of warning on all sorts of products, it's their scare tactic to get users to not use unauthorized products.

So true. The original NES even had a similar warning, without the FW updates of course

EDIT: Just thought of something else for this. Nintendo originally blocked flashcarts on the 3DS. So, at this point it could theoretically detect that you tried to use one and log it. But after the cards were updated, the flashcarts work, so the 3DS obviously can't detect them, or they would be blocked. It would be insanely silly to have the 3DS have a "detect and block" as well as a "detect but don't block" mode, assuming the later is even possible. So, if this was true, as long as you always updated your flashcart before your 3DS, Nintendo would have no way of knowing you ever used a flashcart. Sure, Alex Rider/whatever other game will be in your play log a lot, but maybe you're just a huge Alex Rider fan, Nintendo would have no way of knowing.

So in short - even if it were true, this rumor is not technically feasible.

Tai Le Ree

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope they do this to action replays as well.
Action replays are killing the online gaming on the ds so bricking cheaters as well would be funny.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tai Le Ree said:
I hope they do this to action replays as well.
Action replays are killing the online gaming on the ds so bricking cheaters as well would be funny.
Because everyone is cheating and bricking 3DS' for using action replay is right.
mellow.gif

When someone somehow play action replay on your 3ds and it brick, remember
that is what you wanted to happen.

lompoc

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a diffrent view on 3ds. ok get take battery out each time after play of flash cart and system will show up as new enjoy. bye friends

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlikely, only the time would be reset, everything else would stay intact due to being stored on flash memory. Just like the DSi

lompoc

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have someone with jap system to prove it to confirm.erase all will be on are flash carts too with best programming we have it will work. email someone with jap system to prove it wont work get video thanks.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lompoc said:
have someone with jap system to prove it to confirm.erase all will be on are flash carts too with best programming we have it will work. email someone with jap system to prove it wont work get video thanks.
That's not true. You might reset the system to 'first boot' status, but anything written to NAND wills till be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?