Hacking An idea for Metroid Prime Trilogy without USB or DualLayer disc

Will you play the new Metroid Prime Trilogy game?

• Yes, and I will use the original DVD to play!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but my Wii can't read dual layer DVDs so I'll transfer it to a USB drive

• Yes, but my Wii can't read dual layer DVDs so I'll copy it to two separate discs like this thread sh

• No, I already played these games on the GameCube

• No, I don't like Metroid

• Total voters

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Adr990 said:
To do MP3 stuff trough the menu, I guess we need to burn two discs. One for MP1 & MP2 and one for MP3.
In that case, wouldn't it be better to just use the original Metroid Prime 3 release? I mean, 1 and 2 have their controls changed, but 3 should be pretty much the same except for some better textures (which isn't worth the work).

skunk123punk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
Ok, so evidently I'm doing something wrong. I trucha signed both partitions then opened the iso in Wiiscrubber, deleted the update partition, replaced MP3 files with 0kb files, and clicked scrub.

Resulting iso is still 7.91 GB.

Tried resizing the partition to the minimum and I get the same size. Tried shrinking the partition and I get the same size. Tried using trim and I get the same size.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I figured it out.
tongue.gif

I have just successfully compressed the ISO to 4.2 GB, just zeroed all the files in the MP3 folder within partition 1 then I used Wii Scruber v1.2 to clean and save the ISO (WiiScruber V1.4) creates the compressed ISO as the same size as the original)

tested and working on both MP1 and MP2 on DVD single layer and USB drive (using the alt-dol load on USB but still 480i) works great off DVD with full menu options and 480p.

Skunk

xombi-mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skunk123punk said:
I have just successfully compressed the ISO to 4.2 GB, just zeroed all the files in the MP3 folder within partition 1 then I used Wii Scruber v1.2 to clean and save the ISO (WiiScruber V1.4) creates the compressed ISO as the same size as the original)

tested and working on both MP1 and MP2 on DVD and USB drive (using the alt-dol load on USB but still 480i) works great off DVD with full menu options and 480p.

Skunk

Would you mind posting some step by step instructions. You already explained pretty well, but just for those of us who have never used Wii Scrubber. Thanks a lot for figuring this out!

xombi-mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When replacing the files with empty 0 kb files does it matter what the extension of the file is? How do you make a 0 kb file?

skunk123punk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xombi-mp said:
When replacing the files with empty 0 kb files does it matter what the extension of the file is? How do you make a 0 kb file?

No it doesn't mater just create a new text file then use this to replace all the pak files, video files and audio files in the MP3 folder. It's a bit laborious as every time you replace a file the display defaults back to the top branch view so you have to then navigate back to the MP3 folder in partition 1. Also I extracted rs5mp2_p.dol and replaced the rs5mp3_p.dol with the rs5mp2_p.dol file within the ISO as a safety measure so that MP3 could not be started.

Hope this helps

Skunk

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's EXACTLY what I did several times over & it still gives me a 7.91 GB file after using 'Clear and Save' in Wiiscrubber 1.2.

What the hell?

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uhm, I still don't get how I could change the size of the Iso.

I tried both Wiiscrubber 1.4 and 1.2, and the clean and save the ISO option after replace files in MP3 to 0kb files.

But the ISO stays at 7.91GB. (Scrubbed 7.72GB)

Thanks,
Adr990

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
does tha app actuall save the changes but still show what the original size was, e.g transfering the iso to the WBFS drive wii only show the game size or using winrar to compress the iso. as most iso will show full size on a pc 4.7GB/8.5GB but when compressed show the actual size

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It saves the changes because if I extract a file that I replaced it shows as 0kb. That's what strange, it saves the files as 0kb but keeps the same size iso. He said he has a working dvd5 of the 1st two games - so I assume he means uncompressed.

skunk123punk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
skunk123punk said:
xombi-mp said:

No it doesn't mater just create a new text file then use this to replace all the pak files, video files and audio files in the MP3 folder. It's a bit laborious as every time you replace a file the display defaults back to the top branch view so you have to then navigate back to the MP3 folder in partition 1. Also I extracted rs5mp2_p.dol and replaced the rs5mp3_p.dol with the rs5mp2_p.dol file within the ISO as a safety measure so that MP3 could not be started.

Hope this helps

Skunk

Sorry it was not WiiScruber V1.2 I have just checked the "About" and found that it is V1.0 that had I used, I was going off the folder name of which I had downloaded.

Again sorry but I have no links to this.

Skunk

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
xombi-mp said:
skunk123punk said:

tested and working on both MP1 and MP2 on DVD and USB drive (using the alt-dol load on USB but still 480i) works great off DVD with full menu options and 480p.

Skunk

Would you mind posting some step by step instructions. You already explained pretty well, but just for those of us who have never used Wii Scrubber. Thanks a lot for figuring this out!

its all in the readme taht comes with the app

How to scrub the disc:
Click on the clean and save button
Depending on the option chosen next to the clean button you will then save
either a scrubbed file, a dif file or both files. If the TRUCHA option is chosen then
you will create several new files:
1. a dummy fst.bin
2. a modified fst.bin containing links for the padding files
3. several files full of 0's that can be loaded into the modified image.
4. a modified boot.bin that is needed for the modified fst.bin to be accessed

ISO: This creates a copy of the loaded ISO with the same name but (compress)
appended to the name before the .ISO part (so SPM.ISO would become
SPM(compress).ISO).
DIFF: This creates a Diff file of the differences between the loaded file and
what a scrubbed one would contain. The filename used is the same as the savename but with
.dif used instead of ISO
BOTH: does both ISO and DIFF - you will need a LOT of storage for this

Compressing the scrubbed image should give you a figure close to the size of data
detailed earlier. The DIFF file will not compress that well (due to it being the
random data contained in the 'empty' disk blocks.

lolorlofl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xDlmaoxD said:
lolorlofl said:
Or you can just, I don't know, BUY it. I refuse to download it until I buy it. I don't do that to many games, but this game is really deserving of a purchase.

So buy it and stop talking to us about how good your morals are.
@ first post - Just try harder than in the Veteran mode xD
Lol, my morals are shit actually. This is the only game I would ever do this to simply because I really like them and I would like to support the authors.

hurp durp

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used 1.0 and didn't replace a single file. It came out to 4.37GB. I wonder if the games will play all the way through.

skunk123punk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
I used 1.0 and didn't replace a single file. It came out to 4.37GB. I wonder if the games will play all the way through.

V.1 doesn't support dual layer which is why it writes out the size 4.37GB but as some of the dol files are located at the end of the partition on this ISO it's best to remove most of the MP3 files.

Skunk

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks a lot skunk, your findings were really helpful! Now I can do the guide thing I promised, even if I haven't had the chance to get the iso on my PC
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the legal drinking age here in the US is 21, as some of you may know, but i think either it should be 18 or the age you're an adult should be 21.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging an 18 year old would be illegal?"
    first of all, being in a relationship with someone who's 18 is technically ok, as long as it started when they were 18, but the age gap is still weird depending on how old you are. besides, the age of consent differs between different states
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also my reasoning for adult age being 21 is because the reason that's the drinking (and now smoking) age is because it "gives them more time to think rationally and not drive drunk"
    so you should have that extra time to mature and think rationally before going to serve in the military or vote
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tl;dr the "adult" age and the legal drinking age (and voting age) here in the US should be the same
    +4
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's all good no one pays attention to the law anyway lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about making kids wait till 18 or 21 to drive? And yea is messed up, you can join army and die for your country at age 18, but you can't drink alcohol or smoke a cig til 21, is ridiculous
    +3
    If someone is in the military they should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.... Would help drive recruitment lol
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all know they do and will anyways. I think laws prevented them only pushes them to illegally do it. Even tho if was legal, most prob wouldn't even bother. Not a big deal or risque if its legal, no fun.
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    That's why some kids don't mind having a rap sheet or two just so they never get drafted
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also, i think the voting age should match the adult and drinking ages too, because by the logic of giving them time to mature and think rationally so they don't drive drunk, then they should also have that time to mature and think rationally so they can think for themselves
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fucking hell i'm becoming a mini leo with the way i yap aren't i?
    +1
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    I was unable to create the VM for the debloat windows, but found the video where I learned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZm6mY3I7J4
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you def no leo, and I like your insight. You are a smart Baked cookie.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato for dinner tonight turned out good
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    "i promise not to get all political and/or philosophical"
    3 drinks later:
    "so yeah think for yourself and i think the government sucks"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is @BigOnYa drunk again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    no, i was poking fun at myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again? I have a IV feeding me so I never come down.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because self deprecating humor is important, as long as it doesn't turn into self hate. because you can't really make fun of anyone if you can't even make fun of yourself
    +2
    Booze enemas are real lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    that explains a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, invented the first ever pill that gets you instantly hammered, now filling the streets of Miami
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That was what called a qaaulude, instant drunk, luckily they not around anymore.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That was what called a qaaulude, instant drunk, luckily they not around anymore.