Hacking American N3DSXL is firmware 9.0.

sinx4lyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I can't play monster hunter ultimate then I'll be going legit again gateway is frustrating at most both exploits although easy are the extra syep that annoys me not to mention booting up and quickly disabling WiFi, so far the only thing I've used it for is to obtain emunand 9.4 so I could play the mh4 demo. I have the good legit carts. I think I seriously have outgrown piracy...

Good, it'll make you appreciate gaming more. I do both to be honest, but having the game physically makes me want to play it more than just downloading it.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah but its still a small element of "maybe" they where made earlier, or taken from the very first batch and half way though production they switched to 9.4 or whatever.....there is still a chance launch units could be a mixed bag of 9.0-9.2 and 9.3-9.4

but as an early indicator, its looking good
Very true but keeping in mind that both US and EU ambassador editions came with 9.0 and that no N3DS up til date has come with anything above 9.2 out of the box, chances are the launch consoles won't come with anything above 9.2 - hell, I'm actually pretty sure they'll be released with 9.0 judging Nintendo's past. But I guess there's always the doubt factor. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of a N3DS in the US is probably a conservative effort. They'll have to tread lightly not to post a net loss for the 4th year in a row, and saturating your market with too many options at once is a good way to get surplus inventory. Demand for this thing in the States is yet to be determined, but I'm sure once they figure it out they'll put out a batch of the smaller size. What I find hilarious are always the PR responses. The 3DS and XL have been discontinued as far as I know, so the "N3DSXL will simply be another option in a varied assortment" is just pure bullshit. It'll pretty much just be the N3DSXL and the 2DS assuming those aren't also being phased out.

Another thing I'm thinking is retailers might be more reluctant these days to offer shelf space for the company due to their under performance in recent years. All those faceplates would take up a lot of space, which is probably more than they're willing to invest on what will certainly be the underdog. And what is the N3DS without its faceplates?

Finally I suspect the manufacturing cost between N3DS and N3DSXL to be negligible, so they'd effectively be losing money for each non-XL in a manner of speaking.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The guy DID say whatever version introduced themes. That was 9.0. Plus, theme shuffling was introduced in 9.3, making the only possibilities 9.0 or 9.2.
My Japanese new3ds came with 8.1 and it had themes...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
My Japanese new3ds came with 8.1 and it had themes...
pretty sure even 9.0 for Japanese consoles didn't have themes, which is why they got 9.1 and nowhere else did....are you sure the n3ds 8.1 had themes?....maybe it di, just seems weird 9.0 didn't (although i read the 8.1 built into the n3ds was more of a 8.1/9.x mash up)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure even 9.0 for Japanese consoles didn't have themes, which is why they got 9.1 and nowhere else did....are you sure the n3ds 8.1 had themes?....maybe it di, just seems weird 9.0 didn't (although i read the 8.1 built into the n3ds was more of a 8.1/9.x mash up)
Yes. I can read numbers. I switched to the black theme. At first I thought it was 9.x but it is 8.1...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes. I can read numbers. I switched to the black theme. At first I thought it was 9.x but it is 8.1...
no need to be flippant it was only a question :P.....just seems weird them having themes on 8.1, not in 9.0 and adding them again in 9.1....but yeah as i said i read that the 8.1 built into the n3ds was a bit of a weird set up with parts of 8.1 and parts from presumably 9.1

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
no need to be flippant it was only a question :P.....just seems weird them having themes on 8.1, not in 9.0 and adding them again in 9.1....but yeah as i said i read that the 8.1 built into the n3ds was a bit of a weird set up with parts of 8.1 and parts from presumably 9.1
That would make more sense.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The United States has a great amount of fat people, so their sausage fingers do not agree with the smaller size of the original 3DS. By eliminating the N3DS and selling only the N3DS XL, less people will rage when their fingers press all of the letter buttons.

But seriously, I have an Ambassador 3DS, but once the XL came out and I held the demo console, my hands did not feel as cramped. That, and when playing Samurai Warriors Chronicles, I could actually see the characters on the screen...that game is NOT meant for the smaller 3DS!!!

Reactions: MattKimura

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The United States has a great amount of fat people, so their sausage fingers do not agree with the smaller size of the original 3DS. By eliminating the N3DS and selling only the N3DS XL, less people will rage when their fingers press all of the letter buttons.

But seriously, I have an Ambassador 3DS, but once the XL came out and I held the demo console, my hands did not feel as cramped. That, and when playing Samurai Warriors Chronicles, I could actually see the characters on the screen...that game is NOT meant for the smaller 3DS!!!

I'm all set. I've got a dialing wand.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just preordered a black N3DS XL from BestBuy online. Gonna carefully open it and check the firmware, and return it if it's not what we expected.
I just hope that I'm able to do a system transfer from my old 3DS emunand, to the N3DS emunand.

Edit: I'm gonna cancel that preorder and just preorder it at Gamestop in person, so I don't have to wait so long for shipping.

Reactions: Margen67

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Margen67

smasbros

Trophies
XP
Country
that will be friendly system firmware version :P , then gateway should work harder for making N3DS/XL/LL to support all.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the topic of firmware, do we know yet if the eMMC chip is easily dumpable? All I've heard is that they may have removed the CMD pad or something. On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if the N3DS had downgrade protection...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!