Hardware Ambitious controller project idea...

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea for a GCN controller that I want, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I want a sort of SNES era button layout, so its easier to play the Megaman collections, and I also want it wireless.

I've seen the Hori gamepad that's shaped like an oldschool controller, but it still has that "gathered around the A button" layout. That's really the main part I want to change.

I have some old PS2 controllers that I wouldn't mind gutting for this, but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to make it a GCN controller with Wireless. (I'd also be willing to gut my Wavebird for the wireless function.)

I really don't have any experience with the inner workings of devices, I don't know how to solder, but I just have this idea that I want to try and possibly learn all that.

Any ideas on components to use or possible starting points?

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll save you a massive headache. Beyond soldering, you will need to reprogram the microcontrollers (which requires a PIC programmer) in order to flat-out use an actual SNES controller as a wireless device.

Your better option is much less involved, just cost a few pennies.

Get one of these: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?c...;products_id=31 -- and look for the limited edition Messiah SNES controllers (they're wireless.) There might be another wireless SNES controller option out there, but I know the quality (had one myself) of them are great.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't find any of the Messiah ones for SNES. There may be some new wireless GCN controllers marketed as Virtual Console controllers that I can use. I used to have one, but I didn't like it at the time. That was before I got my WODE. Now I have a reason for it, and I've already gotten rid of it. >.<

Guess I have a solution, now I just need to find one...again. >.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat to look into, but I'm trying to go wireless. Maybe with this I could gut a Wavebird and make it wireless that way. Would that work since this controller is for GCN to begin with?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarcusRaven said:
Maybe with this I could gut a Wavebird and make it wireless that way. Would that work since this controller is for GCN to begin with?

How do you plan to power a wired controller that you convert to wireless?

You would either need to mod the controller (more) or have batteries dangling... not to mention its just not that simple.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's exactly why I'm asking all these questions. To get information. I think I found a god solution for my desire though. A wireless PS2 controller and a PS2 to GCN adapter.

I think I still have an official wireless PS2 controller around somewhere. Just gotta dig it out. (Recently moved. No idea where it could be.) The adapter's only about ten bucks, so I'm good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1