Amazon's Lord of the Rings video game has been cancelled

DOiAi2WUEAE3A1Y.0.jpg

Nearly three years after Amazon announced that it would be co-developing a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game based off of the Lord of the Rings franchise, it appears that this iteration of Middle-earth won't be seeing the light of day. In an article from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, an Amazon spokesperson has confirmed that the game will not be continuing development, as the result of the purchase of co-developer Leyou Technology Holdings Ltd., by Chinese technology conglomerate Tencent Holdings Ltd. in December of last year.

An Amazon spokesperson confirmed that after Tencent’s acquisition of Leyou, “we have been unable to secure terms to proceed with this title at this time.”

The Amazon team working on the game will be moved to other projects. “We love the Lord of the Rings IP, and are disappointed that we won’t be bringing this game to customers,” the spokesperson for the Seattle-based company said in a statement.

Amazon's Lord of the Rings MMO was announced in July of 2019, and was intended to be a free-to-play MMO available for both PC and consoles. No intended release date was ever announced for the game.

:arrow:Source: Bloomberg

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't even know they were making a LOR MMO until right now. Maybe I read about it and said, "Oh, another big non-gaming company is trying to make a game, that's going to get canceled," then straight up forgot. That's pretty much how I treat all situations like this.

smallissue

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
teddit.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't even know they were making a LOR MMO until right now. Maybe I read about it and said, "Oh, another big non-gaming company is trying to make a game, that's going to get canceled," then straight up forgot. That's pretty much how I treat all situations like this.
i didn't even know it exsisted

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is interesting that people are saying it is canceled.. Amazon wasn't the company that got the license, Leyou was. Even the quote listed states they are disappointed that they won't be bringing the game to customers. Tencent/Leyou can still continue to make a/the game based on Lord of the Rings.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It is interesting that people are saying it is canceled.. Amazon wasn't the company that got the license, Leyou was. Even the quote listed states they are disappointed that they won't be bringing the game to customers. Tencent/Leyou can still continue to make a/the game based on Lord of the Rings.
AFAIK Amazon owns the rights to LOTR media spinoffs currently, and I'm betting they'd charge a prohibitively high price to license out the IP. Until we get a story claiming otherwise, the game is effectively dead.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever was left of the Seattle based Crucible studio was also working on the project to some degree (which is why Leyou is a "co-developer." Even if it was like 90% them or something.)

D

Deleted User

To be fair, it makes sense; if the Orcs formed a Union, there wouldn't be a feasible War Machine premise to begin with ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night