Am I weird if I find The beginning of ocarina of time 3D boring?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by IWantAHug, May 8, 2016.

?

Is the beginning boring?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. The whole game is like that

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. IWantAHug
    OP

IWantAHug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    Canada
    Ive played Twilight princess for quite a while and I enjoyed every aspect of it (Apart from the crappy caméras). Peaple call ocarina of time a masterpiece but I just find it boring. Im telling myself that its just because its the beginning. Now Im still in the deku tree but Now I Ask, is the beginning of the game boring for everyone ?

Last edited by IWantAHug, May 8, 2016
  2. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I played it from a blank slate (I know, I missed the N64 era of gaming - seriously, do not hurt me - my parents didn't like me playing video games, and seriously limited me from them). I liked how the game opened with a vaguely boring section - go into the Deku tree, rescue the Deku tree, find out more about the overarcing quest. Basically, the world opened up and felt a lot bigger at the end, and discovering new dungeons and secrets was the biggest draw.

I still have to finish the master quest - too bad my downgrade deleted my save - I used OoT and Powersaves to get it done.

3. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It gets better. In my opinion, the more you progress, the better it gets.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Honestly, I would have enjoyed it more if they just gave us Master Quest at the start. Playing through OoT for the millionth time, just with better graphics, really just doesn't hold my interest anymore.
    I also feel like they should have taken a card from Mario 64 DS and actually added features, instead of just directly porting the game and polishing it up.

migles and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  5. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I played it on the 3DS at the time becuase I had no idea it was on any other console. But that was just me being stupid at the time.

To me Ocarina of Time it was more like "eh" at the beginning of the game. Granite I liked exploring the world and stuff but I got bored figuring out what to do after two hours of gameplay.

And traveling is the WORST by far I was constantly annoyed by that until I was Adult Link being able to ride that horse...

But it's still a good game. You won't always be bored, however be prepared with the annoying running, and "can you deliver" this mask type of thing. I enjoy it but not on a massive scale in my opinion.

migles likes this.
  6. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Chile
    Somewhere
    I'd say it's just simple, though unlike TP, OoT has very little narrative and all storytelling is through events, though personally I think OoT is slightly weak in the story category for a Zelda game. The only plotwist in OoT is as known as who Darth Vader really is.

7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Like every single Zelda game, it picks up at the midpoint after the first three dungeons. The beginning establishes the atmosphere and lays the basis for storytelling-- so yes, it is boring.

Shadowfied and WeedZ like this.
  8. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    Egoraptor made a really good criticism of OoT. The enemies AI involves waiting around until their invulnerability fades.

9. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I first got oot along with my n64 the Christmas following the release when I was a kid. The cool thing about the n64 was being able to play nintendo classics in 3D for the first time. As a Zelda fan, having grown up with the nes, gb and snes versions, the new perspective of the game was enough in itself to keep it entertaining even in its slower moments, like prior to opening the door of time in the beginning and some of the slower dungeons like lake hylia.

I think since we have much better consoles these days, that effect is kinda taken away. Most people that still see this as a cornerstone in the series got to experience it at its highest moment as a revolutionary platform.

The slow buildup in the beginning is pretty common to the other zelda games during that time, and they tried to port the fundamentals to the 3D environment. Over the years as consoles, as well as the series, evolved, the game became more adapted to newer platforms. Oot has a long intro process and 3 small dungens/tasks to be completed before the game really takes off. Alttp is identical in this way with having to collect 3 pendants before really gaining freeroam.

Gameplay aside, the story is remarkable and some would say the best so far. if you're a fan of the series, this game is as important as people say. You just have to acknowledge that youre playing a game from a time when they were porting 2d games to 3d. Things will be clunky, and gameplay slow paced in periods. Just keep an open mind.

nxwing likes this.
  10. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Please tell me you are fucking kidding me :(

11. pbanj

pbanj The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    I'll catch hell for this but I find the entire game boring.

WeedZ likes this.
  12. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.6-1-zen
    I found just loading the exploit saves onto the cartridge for OOThax boring, fuck playing the actual game. (It also doesn't help that I'm a fan of ALTTP and watched Egoraptor's Sequelitis episode on it...)

WeedZ likes this.
  13. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Nope sorry.
    I had legitimately no idea until 2015. I bought it in 2012, when I was in my early teens or something like that.

Funny thing is I bought it for like $50 USD from GameStop, and when I finished the game I sold it back to them for $47 USD becuase it was in very good condition lol.

14. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yes, you are weird. Most games start slow to show the mechanics of a game.

Less pointless thread making - more gaming would be my advice.

15. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    traveling really grinds my gears...
    i wish we could skip ocarina songs, i can't stand the same song\melody over and over and over
    and i wish teleports would be closer to usefull areas.. for example kakariko, zoras place, goron village..
    sometimes i had ocasions of "what is faster, calling the horse or walking to the place next door"

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

not a useless thread...
    it's a nice thread to talk...
    don't you like to chat :(
    useless threads are the 100+ created every day when there is a new exploit

16. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I just meant that he should play the game some more before "judging" it. :-)

You'll see the beginning of a journey in an other light if you are at its end.

migles likes this.
  17. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I just had meant the walking/running portion on the main map.

:unsure: Get Rekt

18. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yeah, and i was making conversation "now that you mention it, blablablabla""

19. IWantAHug
    OP

IWantAHug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    Canada
    I am not judging it I only wanted to ask if the whole game is like that because TP wasnt

20. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I can't really tell if you were mocking me on the thread, or trying to talk to me but whatever.

Say m8 how about we take this in the back of the club :wink: