Im Inylo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I seriously the only one who thinks homebrews are baaaad! I mean, maybe it is because I like RTS, RPG, TD games, and there really arent any on homebrew, or maybe I HATE the cheesy graphics...

Well can anyone recommend any Action, Adventure, RPG, RTS and TD Games?

Thanks

Im Inylo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, I didnt know there was one! Are you allowed to ask for a homebrew game? or is that still considered a rom.

But still homebrew in general doesnt excite me.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
What do you mean by "bad"?

If you're talking about games:
do you mean not fun? In that case take a look at some more elaborated homebrews like that physics one (don't remember the name) or Warcraft Tower Defense.. those are really nice

do you mean crap graphics? What can you expect by a DS game that's been developed by people (usually a VERY small team, most of the time just one person) that don't get paid for what they do but they do it because they like it? Maybe it's because I come from a generation that used to play with DOS games and NES stuff but I'd rather have a game programmed with passion and dedication that has 2D "DOS-LIKE" graphics than a 3D uber cool game that doesn't tell me anything really.

If you're talking about homebrew application:
You can't say those are bad, there are some free homebrew apps that are really awesome.. take a look at moonshell, the Opera Browser, DSOrganize, all those PDF/JPG/COMIC BOOKS readers... that is really some professional (or close to professional) software that is really well made.

also keep in mind that programming for a console is 10 times harder than programming on a pc (I'm discovering that these days, when I'm trying to develop a game for the DS).

If you think that stuff is bad, then just wait for Bob's game, that is awesome /sarcasm
gbasp.gif

Im Inylo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Morgawr said:
What do you mean by "bad"?

If you're talking about games:
do you mean not fun? In that case take a look at some more elaborated homebrews like that physics one (don't remember the name) or Warcraft Tower Defense.. those are really nice

WELLLL I do mean bad games, yes. You COULD mention those physics and tower defense, but i could say that Ninjatown is like, 1000 times better. So why should I d/l a lower crappier quality TD?

do you mean crap graphics? What can you expect by a DS game that's been developed by people (usually a VERY small team, most of the time just one person) that don't get paid for what they do but they do it because they like it? Maybe it's because I come from a generation that used to play with DOS games and NES stuff but I'd rather have a game programmed with passion and dedication that has 2D "DOS-LIKE" graphics than a 3D uber cool game that doesn't tell me anything really.

I dont expect anything, although, Why would I WANT to have that game with inferior graphics when I could, yet again, GET A GREAT GRAPHICS GAME! I have no clue why you want some crappy 2D Game, but whatever floats your boat.

If you're talking about homebrew application:
You can't say those are bad, there are some free homebrew apps that are really awesome.. take a look at moonshell, the Opera Browser, DSOrganize, all those PDF/JPG/COMIC BOOKS readers... that is really some professional (or close to professional) software that is really well made.

Cant argue here...

also keep in mind that programming for a console is 10 times harder than programming on a pc (I'm discovering that these days, when I'm trying to develop a game for the DS).

If you think that stuff is bad, then just wait for Bob's game, that is awesome /sarcasm
gbasp.gif

B

ball2012003

how cant you like hombrew games
who cares about the graphics
look at gta china town wars
thats a real game and it has crappy graphics

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
xxRAG3 said:
Psyfira said:
Yes. Yes you are.
dry.gif

But seriously, homebrew games with these ub3r graphics aren't easy to make. They takes lots of time, skill and effort which only a small amount of talented people have. RPGS on the Ds are also no walk in the park, which explains why they are very few RPGs in DS homebrew.

AlienDS is a pretty decent FPS homebrew game, and all the apps are really something to look out for as they improve over time.

Mr.Mister

Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's an idea, download the good homebrew ports of other games.

StarLite v0.03 and Warcraft: Tower Defense is the best RTS you'll probably see from Homebrew.
DSDoom, AlienDS, and DSQuake is the best FPS you'll see from Homebrew.
Anguna and POWDER is the best RPG's you'll see from Homebrew.

Other than that I can recommend all the emulators, CaveStory DS if it's ever released, and all the great homebrew apps such as DSmaps, Colors!, Bunjalloo, and NDSMail.

ZonMachi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean home brews are bad and there is not any of the genres you like! There is A touch of war as a RTS. There is anguna as a RPG. And like someone said Warcraft TD is a TD obviously.

If your talking about cheesy graphics look at the official published Nintendo games. They have cheesy graphics and they get a bigger budget then any home brewer will ever get.

Some home brews are unique ideas that we might not even be able to use because no one would develop it and sell it as merchandise.

Im Inylo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, I love how u guys ignored my post. Yah, maybe there is touch of war, but theres locks quest and FFXII which are 10000 times better. And warcraft TD doesnt even COMPARE to ninjatown! You guys LOSE

Arno

Trophies
Website
www.nerdtablecomics.com
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr said:
If you're talking about [good] homebrew application:
the Opera Browser

The Opera Browser ain't homebrew. And you're thinking of pocket physics. Which is utterly amazing.

GlubiesplanetDS has AMAZING graphics for a homebrew. Like, AMAZING. And all the other games people have recommended are worth playing too. They're all equally good when you consider how much effort was put into them by an individual or by a small group, you've got no right to spit on them. Go play 'em.

MouseTrap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you really comprehend on how much time and effort people put into trying to make a homebrew game or application. A lot of the time these games or applications are made by a single person. These people don't have to share their game with everyone but they choose to do so. I don't think any of these developers deserve to be bashed, because they are supplying us with something that they have spent a lot of time on. A lot of homebrew is quite simply very well made. It is unfair to call every homebrew game bad...because you are comparing the homebrew to an officially published games. Officially published games have a lot more man power and budget to work with.

You asked for suggestions and received them, you should be happy.

DSiImporter

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude homebrew rocks lo at tjis the guy souldent even be on gbatemp this is a almost 100% homebrew site and the only homebrew he likes is smash bros rumble wow (That game is bad a**)

GameFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSiImporter said:
dude homebrew rocks lo at tjis the guy souldent even be on gbatemp this is a almost 100% homebrew site and the only homebrew he likes is smash bros rumble wow (That game is bad a**)

I was talking about homebrew games not apps.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
90% of them suck but I won't moan as its not like I'm out there doing better. Saying that 90% of retail DS games are crappy and they have bigger teams who make games for a living.

grog.gif
for all homebrewers out there who have finished their projects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyY0Z_U09mk