Gaming Alternative to Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter?

VividBlack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking for a cheap, yet realiable alternative to the 1st party Wireless Adapter.

Here's my situation: my 360 is on the second floor, and my computer is on the first floor. There's a pretty decent distance to cover inbetween, so wireless is paramount.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was in the same situation as you; I use a wireless G bridge. It connects to the Ethernet and tricks the XBOX to thinking it is connected to your router directly, but it is actually wireless. It involved no configuration, and I have had no lag on Live caused by it. I also stream my (hundreds) of movies on my Mac to my 360, they play like a charm. It was about $60 Canadian when I got it about a year ago.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend using a compatible wireless router such as the WRT54GL (about $60 USD) and flashing it with DD-WRT so it can act like a wireless bridge. There are cheaper compatible ones than the WRT54GL but I don't know which to recommend.

The advantage to this is you have an extremely stable connection (a router connecting to another router) and it allows for more devices to be connected.

And on top of all that, it's cheaper than the Xbox wireless adapter.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
science said:
You can get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Networ...stp_st_edpp_url

Some people will say they wont work for the 360, but this is a lie. I had the exact same one and it worked perfect for me up until I sold it when I was able to go wired. I would recommend it, as it is Microsoft branded, and a lot cheaper than the one for the 360
How does it work? Do you connect to Ethernet and then its steams wirelessly? I have been in his situation for about a year now and research this on and off. I would love to be on Live at all time for a change.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
science said:
You can get one of these

Some people will say they wont work for the 360, but this is a lie. I had the exact same one and it worked perfect for me up until I sold it when I was able to go wired. I would recommend it, as it is Microsoft branded, and a lot cheaper than the one for the 360
How does it work? Do you connect to Ethernet and then its steams wirelessly? I have been in his situation for about a year now and research this on and off. I would love to be on Live at all time for a change.

Yep, it has an Ethernet port on it, and it connects to the 360's Ethernet port, and thats all you have to do (other than having to plug it into the wall)

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
science said:
dinofan01 said:
science said:
You can get one of these

Yep, it has an Ethernet port on it, and it connects to the 360's Ethernet port, and thats all you have to do (other than having to plug it into the wall)
Do you know if you have to anything to your router? Or will it just find it and connect?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
science said:
dinofan01 said:
science said:
You can get one of these

Do you know if you have to anything to your router? Or will it just find it and connect?

Nope, I never had to do anything, mine just worked right off the bat, no setting anything up

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
Thats great then. It think I might just invest in one of these. Thanks for all the help Science.

No problem, glad to help
tongue.gif

Praetor192

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dinofan01 said:
Thats great then. It think I might just invest in one of these. Thanks for all the help Science.
wtf...
That was exactly what I said.
"I was in the same situation as you; I use a wireless G bridge. It connects to the Ethernet port and tricks the XBOX to thinking it is connected to your router directly, but it is actually wireless. It involved no configuration, and I have had no lag on Live caused by it. I also stream my (hundreds) of movies on my Mac to my 360, they play like a charm. It was about $60 Canadian when I got it about a year ago."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can