Hacking already have HBC, how to load games from SDhc?

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, my names Rob and I'm a noob.

"Hi Rob!"

So I've recently purchased the new(er) black wii, with 4.2 menu, installed the newest HBC via bannerbomb/hackmii, and now am curious as to how I'd go about enabling my wii to be able to read/load/play games from an SD card?

To be clear, I've done nothing with my wii aside from installing HBC to load WiiMC, playing .avi from my SDHC card, am familiar with ISO and the like, I've also heard names like Neogamma and USBLoader tossed around but cannot seem to get a clear, concise explaination as to how to get these up and going on a 4.2 with HBC up and running despite numerous searches within searches on these here interwebs.

So i guess TL;DR would be:

I've got HBC up and running on my 4.2 'black wii', running apps fine and am NOT connected to the net, how can i load/read/play games from an SD card, what do I need to get Neogamma or USBLoader up and running and how do i do it?

(I've heard all this IOS this and IOS that, and 249 etc etc, and that seems a little daunting to me not knowing wtf that is, brings out the noob in me)
edit: So I guess i need to know, wtf/how the fuck do i do to the IOS if anything after installing HBC through bannerbomb on my 4.2 wii?

Thanks in advance for the responses

Cheers!

dbspanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A great site I use for all of my Wii needs is called Wiihacks, they have all types of guides and tuts for setting up needed software, a quick note is that you will need to install a backup launcer of some sort, neogamma should work fine, and it can load games from sd.

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dbspanks said:
A great site I use for all of my Wii needs is called Wiihacks, they have all types of guides and tuts for setting up needed software, a quick note is that you will need to install a backup launcer of some sort, neogamma should work fine, and it can load games from sd.

Hmm, ok I was over there earlier and actually have the "full hacking guide for 4.2" they have sticked, bookmarked.

So, since I start to stumble over myself when attmpeting to find where I can pick up(Since I've already installed HBC and neglected to install bootmii) can I just like repeat the installation process all over from step1 even though I've got HBC up and running? Like will it just overwrite the currently installed HBC or should I go into data management and remove HBC before doing a complete reinstall?

Sorry for the nubiness >.

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
Run the hackmii installer again and install bootmii. Actually you should now use the hackmii installer 0.7 so you can use the latest HBC!

Also here is a guide on GBA temp. LINK

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
luminalace said:
Run the hackmii installer again and install bootmii. Actually you should now use the hackmii installer 0.7 so you can use the latest HBC!

Ok cool, so I can just install bootmii without having to go through the whole bannerbomb song and dance then since I've already done so?

edit: Nevermind, got it up and running, backing up my NAND to SD as I type this, on to IOS manipulation afterward. I guess I just needed a nod of confidence from you more experienced folk before proceeding.
Thanks for the help!

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
RobertDownerJr said:
luminalace said:

Ok cool, so I can just install bootmii without having to go through the whole bannerbomb song and dance then since I've already done so?

Installing Bootmii helps you if you accidently brick it or something. Instead of doing BannerBomb all the time, use Homebrew Channel.
wink.gif

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delta517 said:
Installing Bootmii helps you if you accidently brick it or something. Instead of doing BannerBomb all the time, use Homebrew Channel.
wink.gif

I've got my NAND and KEY .bins backed up now, and dumped them onto my computer,(edit) after having to run bootmii as an IOS (wouldnt even give me the option to run as boot2) now as long as I can see Priiloader on my HBC apps channel I should be good to go, right? I tried following the priiloader installation quide on this site but it said like go into WAD Management via HBC, select Apps "press 2" and "+" and all that but my WAD manager does not recognize any buttons but L/R and "A".
So is it safe to say so long as I can see Priiloader on HBC i'm good to go?

Thanks in advance for any responses, you guys have been great help.

Richardarkless

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi rob, dont worry you done the first step and that was admitting you are a noob
laugh.gif

I recommend you use this tutorial as it has helped me a lot to set it up to the point where all you have to do is use it

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

As you are already on 4.2 and installed homebrew channel you can skip upto restoring the trutcha bug bit, all the files you need are in modify.zip and can be obtained by emailing the email address under setting up the sd card

After you done that bit you can download the usb loader gx or whatever usb loader you want, as for using an sd card, that will most likely be too small and fit a couple of games and I recommend you use a hard drive and format to wbfs and put games (hopefully legal backups) on there using wbfs manager

Also you can use your usb loader of choice to rip the games off the disk to the hard drive

Richardarkless

Trophies
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
I recommend not formatting to WBFS, but instead format to FAT32, but other than that you can't really go wrong with Richards advice.

I tried fat32 a while back and some games didnt work well with it which is why I recommended wbfs, guess its time to see if it has improved at all

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers guys.

edit:Just removed the stubs, halfway into installing the WADS now, this is by far the simplest it's been the entire time. The modify.zip contents coupled with you all's help and advice saved the day.

Just one, hopefully last, question. I followed the guide from the trucha bug up, and when I got to the very end explaining how to install priiloader from MMM;

I get to the install screen, press +, see it install (or when I've tried again see it tell me it's installed) but then fail to see how to get to "enable desired hacks" in priiloader.
I see no channel for it, and when I launch it from the apps folder it just takes me to the installation screen.
Did i screw something up?

editx3 haha, ok, dumb da da dumb. I found the priiloader hacks when ran through MMM. So I'm guessing theres no priiloader channel needed right? because if your shit bricks you a priiloader channel wouldnt do dick for you haha.

So...im 'done' right? with the modding and changing of IOSs that is, that shit freaks me out.

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richardarkless said:
After you done that bit you can download the usb loader gx or whatever usb loader you want, as for using an sd card, that will most likely be too small and fit a couple of games and I recommend you use a hard drive and format to wbfs and put games (hopefully legal backups) on there using wbfs manager

Hmm, I've got a 320gb "passport" external HDD, I wonder if I could just partition that and format one partition as FAT32 or WBFS. I can't really dump what data's on there now as thats back up this and thats from my PC.

And if I were to load legal backups I'd just dump an ISO directly too the root of my SD or HDD, correct?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Richardarkless said:
George Dawes said:
I recommend not formatting to WBFS, but instead format to FAT32, but other than that you can't really go wrong with Richards advice.

I tried fat32 a while back and some games didnt work well with it which is why I recommended wbfs, guess its time to see if it has improved at all

For some time I wanted to get away from WBFS entirely but couldn't get it to work right in USB Loader GX. When Wiiflow 2.0 came out with FAT32 support, I switched over and never looked back. I would agree FAT32 all the way, don't even bother with WBFS. Use Wii Game Manager to convert your .iso files to the proper format (.wbfs files, with or without folders, I prefer 4gb split over 2 but you do have to split). I haven't tested Wiiflow's built-in ripping to FAT32 so I can't comment on whether or not it works to directly rip a game straight from disc to FAT32 in Wiiflow. There are lots of other USB loaders out there, each with its own neat features, but I would highly recommend Wiiflow for a beginner, then once you have a handle on things you can try cfg or uLoader or GX. Wiiflow just has a slick UI and I have yet to find a game it won't play with the proper cIOS and settings.

Also, with FAT32, you can install homebrew apps, roms, and images files all to the HD (this is another really handy thing about Wiiflow, install the app itself to the same HD as the games and carry all of your covers and settings with you on the same device as your games).

RobertDownerJr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks for mentioning that Wii Game Manager, I'd have had no clue and probably would have ended up just troubleshooting myself in the face over it.
I'm gonna try out my first game soon as I get the ISO converted, will be using neogamma simply because I already have that, if it doesn't work I'll see whats up with wiiflow.

peace

edit: Is it safe for me to remove any and all WADs on my SD card once they've been installed on the Wii?

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Wiiflow 2.0 came out with FAT32 support, I switched over and never looked back. I would agree FAT32 all the way, don't even bother with WBFS. Use Wii Game Manager to convert your .iso files to the proper format (.wbfs files, with or without folders, I prefer 4gb split over 2 but you do have to split). I haven't tested Wiiflow's built-in ripping to FAT32 so I can't comment on whether or not it works to directly rip a game straight from disc to FAT32 in Wiiflow. There are lots of other USB loaders out there, each with its own neat features, but I would highly recommend Wiiflow for a beginner, then once you have a handle on things you can try cfg or uLoader or GX. Wiiflow just has a slick UI and I have yet to find a game it won't play with the proper cIOS and settings.

Thats because your an idiot ......or , your to lazy to read , or you love to make thimgs harder on yourself ( show me a fat32 drive that can handle a file over 4 gigs jackass)

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, I would USB Loader GX with WBFS---that's what I've been using and I've never had problems with it---GX has a very n00b-friendly GUI and you can be assured that you won't screw anything up. Also, if you decide to use WBFS, use WBFS Manager 3.0, because all you need to do for it is just click format to make your HDD to WBFS, and drag the game ISO into the game list. Then you hook it up to your wii, install necassary IOS, load up GX, ba-da bing, ba-da boom, you got your game up and running in less than 20 min. Also, the game ISO gets automatically compressed(scrubbed) in the WBFS mode, so you save space-----I have NOOOO idea about the HDD on FAT32, so ask the other guys about scrubbed ISOs on FAT32. GX also lets you rip ISOs straight from any disc (even retail ones) onto your HDD in a matter of 30 min. GX has an app launcher built in so you can quickly launch an app on your SD Card without having to exit and go to the HBC. Hope this helped!

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
air2004 said:
show me a fat32 drive that can handle a file over 4 gigs jackass)
Why would it need to support a file over 4gb? Very few games once converted to wbfs are over 4gb and the games that are are split at 2/4gb.

Loaders and games work with FAT exactly the same as they do on a wbfs drive, but FAT allows proper file management defrag, recovery in case of some kind of failure and you can also use it to store other files on. I use the same hard drive to store both wii and xbox360 games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo