Almost All Flash Kits Blocked Permanently

machmandp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
r4i-sdhc.com is saying an update is coming? How come it's not listed as upgradeable?

no they will release a new card....

The new R4i-sdhc 3DS card which can support N3DS V4.4.0-10 will be launched soon, please pay attention! View video [2012-09-26]

As if i will be buying this card again
the website stated the other day that they had a patch and will release the upgrade and then they changed it to a new card , so it seems to me as if they smell the opportunity to make more money.

i would advise anyone to avoid the r4-3DS card as they will probably do it again

so for me its going to have to be the DStwo now

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo have done a great job on the whole 3ds security, this why I think the 3ds will never be hacked.

Yeah.. Remember when Sony was going on about how great their security for the PS3 was, and it ended up to be a total fail? Everything is hackable, it's just a matter of time.

It's blatantly obvious that the encryption keys for newer firmware versions of the PS3 have been obtained, but the methods and the keys aren't being leaked for obvious reasons.. If you don't know, it's because Sony is sue happy, and a lot of people just don't want to bother with the financial issues that will be brought upon them from being sued.

If you really want the honest truth, from a software standpoint, the 360 is a hell of a lot more secure than the PS3; and no, the firmware flashing for the DVD drive doesn't count as it only allows you to play burnt discs, and not boot unsigned code. Although, the SMC hack that's known as JTAG for the 360 is more of a software hack than anything, but it only works on some seriously old versions of the 360 kernel. RGH is the reset glitch hack, and basically, it resets the CPU causing it to run in a glitched state that allows unsigned code to be booted, so RGH is more of a hardware oriented exploit.

The 3DS will be hacked, it's hacking scene is in it's infancy though, and there's only a few people who are seriously working on it and doing the research that will serve as the groundwork for further developments for the console in the future. The "better" the security on a device is, the more people it'll eventually attract to hack it, because it'll serve as a good challenge and a great learning experience. You obviously lack any knowledge of the time and research that goes into hacking a console, so keep your mouth shut about topics that you're ignorant about.

360 being better security than Sony is debatable considering so many accounts are hacked like candy and sold on the internet....in terms of online.

machmandp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
now dstwo, r4i gold 3ds have released the patch. and the r4i sdhc will do it soon.

r4i-sdhc have said they cannot release a patch
it is a new card they are releasing instead

but the other day they said they had a patch and would release it , showing the video to prove it and then the site was changed to say they would release a new card
so i think they saw the opportunity to just release a new card hoping we will buy it

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
now dstwo, r4i gold 3ds have released the patch. and the r4i sdhc will do it soon.

but the other day they said they had a patch and would release it , showing the video to prove it and then the site was changed to say they would release a new card
so i think they saw the opportunity to just release a new card hoping we will buy it

no some teams didnt realize that the update did more than just update the header check list
wasnt until the researched and found they couldn't fix with a patch

machmandp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

no some teams didnt realize that the update did more than just update the header check list

Believe me i do understand that but when they announced it they put the video up to prove it, now the video is the same but the wording has changed for the new card.
so i still think they are pulling a fast one on us

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

Believe me i do understand that but when they announced it they put the video up to prove it, now the video is the same but the wording has changed for the new card.

i know that it can look like this
but there not much information on the update
the update could of made it so that it would load once with the new header, then the 3ds checks the IC after it has loaded
then blocks the header on the next load up as it detected it was a flashcard

it does seem a little dodgy tho, its all about money these days tho

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

i know that it can look like this
but there not much information on the update
the update could of made it so that it would load once with the new header, then the 3ds checks the IC after it has loaded
then blocks the header on the next load up as it detected it was a flashcard

it does seem a little dodgy tho, its all about money these days tho

The video is a fake, just watched it. There's an edition on the video, he turns off the console before inserting the flashcard and in the next moment it is already on without him pressing the power button. You can see that between 0:30 and 0:32 on the video. This is a sad attitude in my opinion, but it at least the new flashcard is coming.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Wether they decide to patch or to sell a new is not your decision.
If DSTwo stop support their card, what will you do ? You complain and want a trial ?

The world is : a team decides, not customers so stop crying...

machmandp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wether they decide to patch or to sell a new is not your decision.
If DSTwo stop support their card, what will you do ? You complain and want a trial ?

The world is : a team decides, not customers so stop crying...
Well done for missing the point completely

The fact is that they put on their site that they have a patch and posted video proof that it works and now they decide different so they lied
and to take your point that the team not the customer decides then you are correct in a way but doing it like this just makes us customers go elsewhere
so not a great decision in the end

and as regards to crying , strange i'm sitting here ordering the 3 DStwo cards i need but not crying just annoyed at being lied too

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo have done a great job on the whole 3ds security, this why I think the 3ds will never be hacked.

Yeah.. Remember when Sony was going on about how great their security for the PS3 was, and it ended up to be a total fail? Everything is hackable, it's just a matter of time.

It's blatantly obvious that the encryption keys for newer firmware versions of the PS3 have been obtained, but the methods and the keys aren't being leaked for obvious reasons.. If you don't know, it's because Sony is sue happy, and a lot of people just don't want to bother with the financial issues that will be brought upon them from being sued.

If you really want the honest truth, from a software standpoint, the 360 is a hell of a lot more secure than the PS3; and no, the firmware flashing for the DVD drive doesn't count as it only allows you to play burnt discs, and not boot unsigned code. Although, the SMC hack that's known as JTAG for the 360 is more of a software hack than anything, but it only works on some seriously old versions of the 360 kernel. RGH is the reset glitch hack, and basically, it resets the CPU causing it to run in a glitched state that allows unsigned code to be booted, so RGH is more of a hardware oriented exploit.

The 3DS will be hacked, it's hacking scene is in it's infancy though, and there's only a few people who are seriously working on it and doing the research that will serve as the groundwork for further developments for the console in the future. The "better" the security on a device is, the more people it'll eventually attract to hack it, because it'll serve as a good challenge and a great learning experience. You obviously lack any knowledge of the time and research that goes into hacking a console, so keep your mouth shut about topics that you're ignorant about.

360 being better security than Sony is debatable considering so many accounts are hacked like candy and sold on the internet....in terms of online.

Again, I was referring to the security of the console, not the online services.

ldg1414

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone actually still play on the original ds, you wouldn't have these problems, heck you can probably get an original ds for less than some of the higher end flashcarts these days.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I still do not see how you are mad at Nintendo for blocking third party, unlicensed add-ons. They blocked illegal flashcarts, and ONE actual peripheral (that refuses to pay Nintendo a licensing fee) that is sold in stores. All Datel has to do is license their product with Nintendo. They probably refuse to pay the licensing fee, so you no longer get to use it. Nintendo waited years before implementing this method. Most likely on purpose. A bit funny how it gets updated close to the release of Pokemon Black/White 2.

This is one of the many reasons I kept my DSLite (that and for GBA). This is just like how Playstation keeps on changing their passphrases for PSN so that the hackers do not get on with modded consoles. If you want to use Nintendo's services (which include firmware and OS updates) then you have to follow Nintendo's rules. It could not be any simpler. Next time, don't blindly update.

you know what mate, please don't reply to my posts any more, I will ignore you, I don't have time for bigots replying to me about mindless rubbish, replying to your posts will get nowhere, if you are so against piracy and lick Nintendo ass why are you at gbatemp? go back to gamefaqs or something, I have better things to do than waste my time with idiots like you.

this is my last post to you, please don't quote me or reply you will be ignored.

Reactions: 1 person

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
This is great news for flashcart makers. Everyone now has to buy new flashcarts. Flashcart makers will make huge profits, ensuring the vitality of the flashcart and hacking hardware makers for a long time to come.
Technically only 3 of them (so far) benefit so to speak. Of course that assumes that people will update. And that people will want to continue using flashcarts. Personally, I am waiting for some more progress in terms of function first before getting yet another flashcart.

Or people will just switch to the good old DSTwo which has just about all the functionality (except DSi/3DS mode) you could want and is often updated in less than a day (though this fix was nasty enough to require 3 days).

D

Deleted User

This is great news for flashcart makers. Everyone now has to buy new flashcarts. Flashcart makers will make huge profits, ensuring the vitality of the flashcart and hacking hardware makers for a long time to come.
Technically only 3 of them (so far) benefit so to speak. Of course that assumes that people will update. And that people will want to continue using flashcarts. Personally, I am waiting for some more progress in terms of function first before getting yet another flashcart.

Or people will just switch to the good old DSTwo which has just about all the functionality (except DSi/3DS mode) you could want and is often updated in less than a day (though this fix was nasty enough to require 3 days).
or people don't update their 3ds

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still do not see how you are mad at Nintendo for blocking third party, unlicensed add-ons. They blocked illegal flashcarts, and ONE actual peripheral (that refuses to pay Nintendo a licensing fee) that is sold in stores. All Datel has to do is license their product with Nintendo. They probably refuse to pay the licensing fee, so you no longer get to use it. Nintendo waited years before implementing this method. Most likely on purpose. A bit funny how it gets updated close to the release of Pokemon Black/White 2.

This is one of the many reasons I kept my DSLite (that and for GBA). This is just like how Playstation keeps on changing their passphrases for PSN so that the hackers do not get on with modded consoles. If you want to use Nintendo's services (which include firmware and OS updates) then you have to follow Nintendo's rules. It could not be any simpler. Next time, don't blindly update.

you know what mate, please don't reply to my posts any more, I will ignore you, I don't have time for bigots replying to me about mindless rubbish, replying to your posts will get nowhere, if you are so against piracy and lick Nintendo ass why are you at gbatemp? go back to gamefaqs or something, I have better things to do than waste my time with idiots like you.

this is my last post to you, please don't quote me or reply you will be ignored.

Although I am not entirely convinced flash carts are illegal and even if Datel wanted one that Nintendo would grant them a license for it (a lack of server side checks means online can be really troubled by these devices) OrGoN3 most definitely has a point and your calling him a bigot and more is entirely unjustifiable. I do not know if you two have a history but even if you did aside from the tiny bit of presumption in the last line there was nothing unwarranted in there on OrGoN3's part.

Reactions: 9 people

my2k2zx2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got back my 3DS from a warranty repair. Yup, they upgraded it to the 4.4.0 firmware. Guess I'll have to dig out my DS Lite to use my AK2i.

D

Deleted User

I just got back my 3DS from a warranty repair. Yup, they upgraded it to the 4.4.0 firmware. Guess I'll have to dig out my DS Lite to use my AK2i.
that sucks I got my 3dsxl back from repair on monday and it still had the previous firmware

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c