Almost All Flash Kits Blocked Permanently

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt the ez5i is permanently blocked. The FPGA code of this flashcart is updatable by the user with a firmware update.
I think it would be nice to see them become relevant again. It's one I would buy if they did. (Speaking as a collector.)
But the team has not kept it up to date for the 3DS since april/may.. so "permanently blocked" is a matter of whether or not the team is going to take the opportunity to re-launch their presence and release an update.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Regardless of whether a cart is in "Class 1" or higher (weird way to categorize it), the firmware on the microcontroller can still be improved to fake the save file size - this can be circumvented, it'll just take much more time than the usual header replacement.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of whether a cart is in "Class 1" or higher (weird way to categorize it), the firmware on the microcontroller can still be improved to fake the save file size - this can be circumvented, it'll just take much more time than the usual header replacement.
I thought what you describe falls under the category of having to send the flashcart back to the factory.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I thought what you describe falls under the category of having to send the flashcart back to the factory.
Not necessarily. The firmware updates available for example for AK2i models work directly from RAM - the firmware of the flashcart is disabled during the update procedure. It can be overwritten, and I'm sure that such a fail-safe mode was included when designing them.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I highly doubt the ez5i is permanently blocked. The FPGA code of this flashcart is updatable by the user with a firmware update.
I think it would be nice to see them become relevant again. It's one I would buy if they did. (Speaking as a collector.)
But the team has not kept it up to date for the 3DS since april/may.. so "permanently blocked" is a matter of whether or not the team is going to take the opportunity to re-launch their presence and release an update.
That's the point ! :)

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country
R4ids.cn REV6 not working... I will mail them to have a new one for free if they can't provide a new update :D

I just went to that website you talked about and they said this:

R4iDS.cn said:
[Great news] R4i Gold 3DS Supports the 3DS V4.4.0-10 successfully! The update patch is released...

I think you should update your card again and confirm that it's working on your updated 3DS.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should update your card again and confirm that it's working on your updated 3DS.

The website isn't as accurate as it should be. There are 12 revisions of this flashcart and only the most recent four revisions are compatible with that update. Revision 6 is too old to function with today's update.

Edit: The first 5 revisions were not marketed as 3DS compatible though.

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/6056/r4igoldfinal.png

http://gbatemp.net/topic/302773-firmware-update-compilation-thread-list-of-flashcards-working-on-3ds/

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country

The website isn't as accurate as it should be. There are 12 revisions of this flashcart and only the most recent four revisions are compatible with that update. Revision 6 is too old to function with today's update.

Edit: The first 5 revisions were not marketed as 3DS compatible though.

http://imageshack.us...4igoldfinal.png

http://gbatemp.net/t...working-on-3ds/

Well I don't own the card myself but, I used to have an interest in flashcards. so yeah! I'm just going with all the assumptions I can think of. Unfortunately, I may need to do more research, Nintendo picked the perfect time for me to start doing flashcard reviews.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I asked this on the other thread about the carts being blocked........

"Just out of interest do real games like Electroplankton that have no onboard save work ? There were not many games released like this but early on there were a few. Just interested to see if they blocked one of their own games"

Anyone have the game to try it with ?

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

"Just out of interest do real games like Electroplankton that have no onboard save work ? There were not many games released like this but early on there were a few. Just interested to see if they blocked one of their own games"

Probably.
If I'm not mistaken, Metroid demo didn't have too,
and is used now as the bootloader of R4i Gold

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the reason for using a flash card on a 3ds unless you don't own a DS lite or phat, seeing as they can't play any 3DS specific software. I'll keep using my m3 real and my DS lite for DS games and ill be perfectly happy about it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily. The firmware updates available for example for AK2i models work directly from RAM - the firmware of the flashcart is disabled during the update procedure. It can be overwritten, and I'm sure that such a fail-safe mode was included when designing them.
Can't overwrite protected ROM. In an FPGA it's possible to lock certain sections out and then you need the original key to modify it at all (including reading decrypted) from what I've read, and only the producing factory has the key. That's why one or two teams have mentioned needing to send affected flash carts back to the factory.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can't overwrite protected ROM. In an FPGA it's possible to lock certain sections out and then you need the original key to modify it at all (including reading decrypted) from what I've read, and only the producing factory has the key. That's why one or two teams have mentioned needing to send affected flash carts back to the factory.
Provided said factory key is provided in the update in an encrypted form, you don't. Unless said portion of memory is only accessible by tagging onto pins on the board. Time will tell, I'd rather wait for an official statement. ;)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I never understood the reason for using a flash card on a 3ds unless you don't own a DS lite or phat, seeing as they can't play any 3DS specific software. I'll keep using my m3 real and my DS lite for DS games and ill be perfectly happy about it.

How about so you don't have to carry around two *DS systems?

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France

I own a DSL with a CycloDS (dead team but still good).
I absolutely want to play new Nintendo games (NSMB2, coming Zelda, Mario Kart 7), not even in 3D (poor feature).

So I bought a DSTwo and I found the 3DS XL very cool even for old games (playing Mario Kart on a big screen is cool for me, not for all)..

So...

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I emailed datel regrading this firmware update but who knows if they will reply or release a update to resolve this problem, stupid fking nintendo, they really annoy me sometimes and this is why I hate current gen gaming, update firmware and patches, all current game consoles do it and you can't get away from it, especially game installs when you want to play a quick game of say for example ridge racer, you are first confronted with a 20 minute game install then a 1000gb patch (don't quote me on this part, I was being sarcastic) and you sit there and wondered why you bothered in the first place and just get out the ps1 disc and play that instead.

The moral of the story is, no matter how new and current your consoles are we are always going to get fed up of it and go back to older stuff time and time again...

Unless I'm mistaken, Action Replays do not feature the proper hardware to work on the updated systems. It is not something a that can simply be solved with a firmware update.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well instead worrying about flashcart itself I'm more worried about any chance at all to play all those 3DS roms.

20-40$/games is a lot for me right now.
I mean I can afford it, but considering it on portable console, I don't really think it's worth that much; on steam I can get lot's of games for 40$

Also for flashcart itself, considering that NDS is already reach it's life cycle, so I don't really bother, as in it can only play DS roms.

If you really love to play DS Games that much, why not spend less to get any flashcart compatible with DS Lite? It still bullet proof enough (you also don't have to bother with firmware updates).

Even the worst cart out there can still play new released games.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Probably.
If I'm not mistaken, Metroid demo didn't have too,
and is used now as the bootloader of R4i Gold

I would imagine the bootloader check and the save IC check would be different. Would still like to know if the original Electroplankton cart works with the new firmware. Anyone ?

Edit - Just checked Metroid First Hunt demo and it has a save Electroplankton does not as far as I know

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, is data encryption something good or something bad?