Hacking Alleged first Vita flashcart

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you need a .iso? All it seems to be doing is playing the game popcorn-style.
BlackFin Demo - vidme it looks like the games must be installed first and then authorized "popcorn style" the big part apparently lets you host your games up to 7 at a time so you/others can use them to get said authorization via network

Last edited by wormdood,

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious. Since it sends the request over the internet, lets another device handle it and send the response back, couldn't Sony easily patch it by checking the response speed? I doubt there's any real delay to speak of when checking from the internal Vita card slot, and even if there was, the Blackfin would have to deal with that + internet delay.
They probably could. However the risk of false positives vs. number of people actually using this may lead sony to just ignore it (like sky3ds).

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A flashcart that requires someone else to host the game for you over the internet sounds all but useless. Maybe interesting from a technological and proof of concept point of view, but as a product, it's like, seriously?

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can picture something like that in my head but considering how small the ps vita memory card is i was thinking a adapter would be like this, 1 side of it is a ps vita memory card shaped piece that goes inside of the ps vita while the other part that is attached to it is a sd card adapter like piece where you put a micro sd card in but it would stick outside of the system hanging from it.
Yeah that would be perfect. I think I remember seeing that someone has already analyzed it and it's just SD format with different pin-out. Don't quote me tho...

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as long as i can buy a cart >64GB and it is cheaper than Sony's crap proprietary card, i will buy it.
Yeah same. Another thing that would make me pretty happy is to be able to play higher firmware requirement games on low firmwares so I don't have to update. Vita games are dirt cheap, I don't feel like the unreasonable so I don't have as much of an issue buying them as I do with some machines. And when Games are expensive I mostly buy second hand, so whether I am pirating or buying the Developer don't get any of my money so there's no moral issue for me there.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Having watched the video again it strikes me that the real innovations are a) getting a PS Vita gamecart that accepts a micro SD that the console itself actually recognises and b) seeing the directory/file structure of the gamecarts themselves. All it takes is a couple of skilled devs to work out how the Cobra team did it and we have a possible solution to the expensive proprietary memory cards we all have to use. That's way more interesting than authenticating ISOs of Vita backups over a P2P network.

Technically I suppose you could get the Black Fin, plug all your legal game carts into it, open the right ports on your router and use your own games to authenticate your own ISOs, but again, that would need some skilled home-brew devs to look into it I'm sure. As it stands, still easier just to buy the games used and probably cheaper if you only want a handful of official Vita games.

I have the tiniest inkling that within the next few months this might lead to the kernel mode exploits the scene has waited for. Depends on if the secure license from the official games can be reused to run homebrew, similar to how the TN-V bubble exploits work by "borrowing" the license from officially downloaded PSP titles. Probably just wishful thinking...

Last edited by zekepliskin,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There *is* a scenario where this would make sense, and it's an outlandish one - this setup would work if Cobra themselves had a massive server room that's composed of nothing but racks upon racks of video games in the verification machines. If that were the case, if the burden wasn't on the users to host them, it would be a reasonable service. As it is, it sort of defeats its own point, unless it's for legal backups only, which I can support.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If instead of 7 slots, it has like 30 slots, it might be useful for hosting your own games just for yourself. However, I can easily carry 7 games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If instead of 7 slots, it has like 30 slots, it might be useful for hosting your own games just for yourself. However, I can easily carry 7 games.
7 cartridges are 7 times the chance that you'll lose a game somewhere - those things are small! Then again, with just one cart you have a 100% chance of losing all your games if you lose it, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess. :D

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
btw, what's the expected price?
i hope they introduce a strip down version,
only able to read non-Sony MMC. I don't even care if i don't get the ability to pirate.. If i want to pirate, i will just wait for a Vita emulator installed in a not-Sony AMOLED phone.

D

Deleted-19228

7 cartridges are 7 times the chance that you'll lose a game somewhere - those things are small! Then again, with just one cart you have a 100% chance of losing all your games if you lose it, so it's a matter of perspective, I guess. :D

That would require there being 7 games on the Vita worth playing, as it stands there are 3-5 :P

Reactions: wormdood

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sad thing is that these modders have put more effort into the Vita than Sony has over the past year. I still feel as though Vita could have been a moderate success if Sony had supplied it with a steady stream of exclusive content. The success of 3DS shows that smartphones still aren't capable of making dedicated handheld gaming devices irrelevant.

Zero Dozer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
CobraFin is finally a step in Vita piracy's direction, but it is still extremely inefficient.

If those hackers only manned up and started giving the finger to what Sony thinks of them. Damn, if the Vita had been jailbroken in time, it could have been saved, but those hackers nowadays are such scared people, false moralists and such.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CobraFin is finally a step in Vita piracy's direction, but it is still extremely inefficient.

If those hackers only manned up and started giving the finger to what Sony thinks of them. Damn, if the Vita had been jailbroken in time, it could have been saved, but those hackers nowadays are such scared people, false moralists and such.
lol . . . if you put in the effort you could be the non-scared hacker who mans up and gives sony the fuck you stick and creates it . . .

Reactions: porkiewpyne

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think you left out "apathetic" because most people (including hackers) don't really give a damn about the vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary