All Wii backup loader/Waninkoko discussion goes here.

Cid2mizard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You'll never have let this topic topic, you might even remove it. If you know the name of the leak bah tell that person arrives at his other

gbatemp is totaly responsible :/

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bluesharpie said:
If I was Waninkoko I would release a "final version" that would just brick the Wii. That would be the sweetest revenge

You mean just do stupid things like the other dude did stupid things, very mature
smile.gif

elkelkelk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko should have foreseen this O.o

He should have made small mods to each test beta he distributed so he'd know who leaked it.

And for him to drop the project because one person decided to leak the beta is incredibly kindergarten of him.

I'm getting a chip anyway.

I had respect for Waninkoko until he decided to be incredibly lame about something he should have prepared for.

emever

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
bluesharpie said:
If I was Waninkoko I would release a "final version" that would just brick the Wii. That would be the sweetest revenge

If he release a version that only brick the Wii we will have the news from internet and only few Wii will be bricked. Compliments for your idea!!!

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
emever said:
bluesharpie said:

If he release a version that only brick the Wii we will have the news from internet and only few Wii will be bricked. Compliments for your idea!!!
I think it would be a fine way to get back, but only if he releases it as another leaked beta.

Waninkoko has decided not to take this as a huge beta test I guess. =P

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone leaked the beta of the loader now waninkoko is making us all pay for it by abandoning the project

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zidane_genome just a little reply to your post from the closed thread:
zidane_genome said:
Ok, for every single one of you who are bashing idaWaninkoko...

you are not to use ANY of his tools anymore...

That means no more WAD Installer, Custom IOS (dvd/media player), Mii Extract/Install, Savegame Extractor/installer, NAND Dumper, and WiiFrii...

Waninkoko did more for the Wii scene than bushing!!! All bushing did was find expoilts, then run and tell Nintendo... Waninkoko DID something... and here you all are bashing the hell out of him for MAKING WHAT YOU ALL FUCKING WANTED!!

just go back and play with your Wii... and not the nintendo one!

Okay, let's first check Waninkokos apps:

WAD Un/Installer/Manager: To be honest I don't even know what the interface looks like because I have never even downloaded it.

Custom IOS (dvd/media player): Is that meant as ja joke? nitrotux removed the DVD read limit first, and the mplayer port with DVD player capabilities is whole the work of Team Twiizers.

Mii Extract/Install: Whatever - I don't like Miis anyway

Savegame Extractor/Installer: Ah the first useful program. But soon to be useless by patching the system menu to copy protected saves anyway (i.e. newest GeckoOS)

NAND Dumper: Did you really mean NAND Dumper or rather NAND FS Dumper? Because I don't know what you want to do with a dump of your NAND without any useful way to burn it back to the chip... When the first fully failsafe recovery method by patching boot2 by buhsing & friends is released (and that's something you will definitely not seen from Waninkoko - I am not saying he isn't capable (beacuse I don't know wheather he is) - but Team Twiizers spent already much time working on that feature and it is surely not an easy task) - you also will get an option to dump your NAND because the current NAND dumpers (yes there are several) cannot completely block IOS writing access to the NAND, so your dump could get corrupted.
If you meant the NAND FS Dumper (btw the first tool that brought tension between Waninkoko Team Twiizers) than see above: Never used any VC/WiiWare crap. In fact I doubt most of you use it yourself - I don't think it is that interesting to rip VC/WiiWare titles you already own.

WiiFrii: Nice tool - till GeckoOS.

Okay that was your list of your Waninkoko-apps of choice. Now let's check out the Region Changer.

When it comes to GBAtemp I usually expect that (almost) everybody just reads the part he wants to know, so let's get that story straight:
The problem that bushing pointed out about the region changer was that it didn't force the install of the corresponding the system menu, leaving the console in a semi-bricked state. Once again bushing told Waninkoko he could make a complete region changer if changed the two files that make a wii unique (SYSCONF and settings.txt) together with a downgrade to another region system menu, but Waninkoko spilt it in two programs.
But back to the semi-bricked state: If I remeber correctly the problem was that the semi-brick would result in a full brick if the SYSCONF or settings.txt would get damaged. On a normal console the files would just be recreated. So Team Twiizers claim was that the semi-bricked console could further result in a full brick if you keep your console in that state. And that's a claim I want you to disprove. Nobody said that it would cause a large amount of bricked consoles.

To finish my little speech let's have a look at the non-existent contribution of Team Twiizers:

Twilight Hack: Any questions?

Homebrew channel: see above...

DVDx/mplayer with DVD support: Okay I already mentioned that above. By now you should have noticed that your precious backup loader also needs DVDx installed...

I have to admit that the amount of released (and usefull to the regular enduser) programs is rather small. But you have to remember that they often share information about the Wii's system leading to other programs:

- SYSCONF and settings.txt => Region Changer
- bug in in the IOS filesystem module => NAND FS Dumper => here I come VC/WiiWare piracy
- DVDx => backup loader

So let's face it: if you want it or not - you wouldn't have either VC/WiiWare piracy nor the backup loader without Team Twiizers (and be assured Team Twiizers doesn't like that fact either).

But I don't want to end my post on such negative terms about Waninkoko. I think he is a decent guy but maybe too much of an opportunist. He wrote some decent tools but the sentiment here at GBAtemp usually declares him as a (half-)god and Team Twiizers as the bad guys. That's not true. Without Team Twiizers Waninkoko wouldn't be anywere near where he is now.

Oh and before I forget it: When I talk about homebrew I usually mean media players, emulators/virtual machines, games and such, but the majority of the people here don't have any use for these programs...

Just a small comment on topic: I'm glad he abondoned the project but I feel it is terribly childish...

Thanks for reading all this
wink.gif

Timmy!!&

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Let me say first, I don't need this app, I've got a Wiikey. I don't care if it's continued or not...

But how old is Waninkoko? Is he like an 8 year old boy/girl?
If you're 'working' with homebrew, there's always a chance things get leaked, surely when you let someone beta-test them. And what does it matter? Be grateful about it when people like your work. But instead he blames GBAtemp, which has done nothing wrong imo. He let someone have a beta version, how else could it have leaked? He made an error, not us by spreading it around. If he were a little bit more mature, he'd know that.

As for blaming GBAtemp, I only applaud GBAtemp by showing the news and someone posting it. Among other things, this is a news site, and everyone expects to get new apps asap. If a backup loader comes by, why not post it? Because Waninkoko is gonna cry if someone posts it and he will stop working on the project? So be it, I have a little bit of faith that someone eventually will make the same thing, only he/she will be a little bit more mature. For now, we should accept this reaction of Waninkoko and ban everything from him on GBAtemp, and leave him for the 8 year old boy/girl he is. And until there's a backup loader from someone else, just install a mod-chip
smile.gif

Tripwire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys a few questions:

1: Can i install the CIOS on a pal wii?

2: How safe is it to install?

3: What program do i need to install the CIOS?

Hope someone will answer my questions

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I will just say that I'm very much disgusted by most of people who posted in this thread, the short talk I've had with Lionhawk shows how people worth releasing homebrews and finishing projects think!
I thank you Lionhawk for that post, you are right indeed, and I admit it..But, to prove my posts, read trough most of the posts after our talk!

I see all this lurkers waking up, starting to post their opinions, and bashing the guy for nothing.....The whole community can bash you, every single one of you for not doing NOTHING, because you didn't contribute to community with anything!! Waninkoko did lots of stuff, and decided to stop his project (whatever the reason it is, in this case the leak) and you bash him, yet most of you did nothing..
frown.gif

I think he'll finish this homebrew, but keep it for himself for some time..Because it actually allows him to play downloaded games..Only time will show will he really stand by his decision not to release it or change his mind..

And I'm so happy that most of you aren't part of every-days GBAtemp community, but lurkers, this community (regular part) is far too nice for all of you....

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a Wii so don't really have any use for this but I do want to throw in my two cents worth. Alot of the comments in this thread, mostly from very new members with very few posts, complaining that the loader isn't going to be released are from people who's only involvement in the scene comes from downloading free games via torrent/usenet.

How many of you are actually part of the Wii hacking scene? Most scene members don't do things for the public, they do them for the scene. What you're getting are crumbs, and like any ungrateful starving person you're complaining when the crumbs are taken away because for some unknown reason you believe that you "deserve" the loader simply because, well, because. Why should he have to release it to you? He's put alot of blood, sweat and tears into figuring out what he knows - only to have someone looking to be seen as "1337" spreading it around to undeserving people.

How many of you actually appreciate what he's done? Other than he's making something that let you play free Wii games.

It really shows you how much the piracy scene has changed now that it's so much easier with the net. I've been involved in various scenes since the Amiga/ST days and things a very different. A long time ago free games were just a very small part of it. You actually had to work to get the rights that you're claiming you deserve.

If most people here had to give "references", past history, group affiliations, work on 3:1 or 2:1 ratios for your stuff and a whole heap of other things how many would still be doing it? The people in the scene do things for other people in the scene, mostly because other people in the scene will appreciate what that hacker/cracker/phreaker has done based mostly on the technical acheivement, rather than just the ability to play a free game.

A classic example is something in the old Atari ST days and the Automation packer. These guys kept their packer closed (it was eventually released by a rival group but that's a different story), nobody bitched and moaned that they didn't release their packer so we could all pack our own games. Nope, members of the scene went "Fucking hell, how did they pack 3 floppies worth of shit onto one disk".

Remember that posting on a scene related news site/forum does not make you part of the scene. There are plenty of private servers that you can struggle your way into it if you really want to be part of the scene, try it - you're attitudes towards this would change completely then. I'd say that if everything wasn't so overground when dealing the gaming underground (like it was many eons ago) then not only would 90% of you never have heard about Wiikeys and flashcarts, you definitely wouldn't have heard about this loader and it would have been released.

Instead people are bitching because a member of the scene, who respects the scene and scene rules (Piracy 101 - don't tell the public anything) has decided that the greedy warez hungry casual pirate shouldn't get his software.

Shebang

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What really pisses me off is that by this thing gbatemp got a lot more visibility than necessary ... I'd rather sit in the shades ...

Relating the homebrew thing: If he doesn't, someone else will sooner or later. You can't stop knowledge.

-shebang

armagedalbeebop

Trophies
XP
Country
it is his project he can abandon it whenever he wants...and remember,this isnt public work, this stuff is like research oriented, he isnt doing us a favor,the other apps he released if he wanted nothing would came out to the public
so be thankful for the apps he released so far and stop blaming him

Nojoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
I don't have a Wii so don't really have any use for this but I do want to throw in my two cents worth. Alot of the comments in this thread, mostly from very new members with very few posts, complaining that the loader isn't going to be released are from people who's only involvement in the scene comes from downloading free games via torrent/usenet.

How many of you are actually part of the Wii hacking scene? Most scene members don't do things for the public, they do them for the scene. What you're getting are crumbs, and like any ungrateful starving person you're complaining when the crumbs are taken away because for some unknown reason you believe that you "deserve" the loader simply because, well, because. Why should he have to release it to you? He's put alot of blood, sweat and tears into figuring out what he knows - only to have someone looking to be seen as "1337" spreading it around to undeserving people.

How many of you actually appreciate what he's done? Other than he's making something that let you play free Wii games.

It really shows you how much the piracy scene has changed now that it's so much easier with the net. I've been involved in various scenes since the Amiga/ST days and things a very different. A long time ago free games were just a very small part of it. You actually had to work to get the rights that you're claiming you deserve.

If most people here had to give "references", past history, group affiliations, work on 3:1 or 2:1 ratios for your stuff and a whole heap of other things how many would still be doing it? The people in the scene do things for other people in the scene, mostly because other people in the scene will appreciate what that hacker/cracker/phreaker has done based mostly on the technical acheivement, rather than just the ability to play a free game.

A classic example is something in the old Atari ST days and the Automation packer. These guys kept their packer closed (it was eventually released by a rival group but that's a different story), nobody bitched and moaned that they didn't release their packer so we could all pack our own games. Nope, members of the scene went "Fucking hell, how did they pack 3 floppies worth of shit onto one disk".

Remember that posting on a scene related news site/forum does not make you part of the scene. There are plenty of private servers that you can struggle your way into it if you really want to be part of the scene, try it - you're attitudes towards this would change completely then. I'd say that if everything wasn't so overground when dealing the gaming underground (like it was many eons ago) then not only would 90% of you never have heard about Wiikeys and flashcarts, you definitely wouldn't have heard about this loader and it would have been released.

Instead people are bitching because a member of the scene, who respects the scene and scene rules (Piracy 101 - don't tell the public anything) has decided that the greedy warez hungry casual pirate shouldn't get his software.

All of this is truth. If you don't understand... reread it until you do.

You don't deserve anything simply because you exist. As far as this scenario goes, saw it happen before in every console that's come out. Bottom line, his project... his decision. He's EARNED enough respect to do what he wants.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi: