All Wii backup loader/Waninkoko discussion goes here.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
I swear, if I were him, I'd complete it, made bunch of videos how perfectly it works, but never release it..
You'd be a dick about it, exactly. Justified/rightful or not, it's still being a dick to punish an entire community because one person hurt you.

Lionhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
I swear, if I were him, I'd complete it, made bunch of videos how perfectly it works, but never release it..

Way too inmature. Though imho in this world you are going to meet all kind of people, so even though if you trusted a bunch of guys and one failed you, you can't just throw everything to garbage because of one guy. Though I respect his decision and he is in his right to feel as he please but maybe he should take it more easily and think things over again.

I know this is no comparison, but Doom3 was leaked, and though is out, and many people bought it. The point is is not the first time neither the last time someone will leak a software in development. Now viewing things in a more objective side, is not his mistake for choosing a guy who would "betray" him, though instead of abandoning the project, he should just realize that he cannot trust people with something that is important to him lightly, and even though maybe he didn't choose them on the fly, maybe he was strict, then he needs to be a little more strict.

So in the end, I think he should relax and think things over again.

Longbaugh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
Toni Plutonij said:
You'd be a dick about it, exactly. Justified/rightful or not, it's still being a dick to punish an entire community because one person hurt you.

Instead of intimating that people are dicks you could always buy a modchip at gbatemps partner site

http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog...-p-1-c-266.html

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
referencer said:
Toni Plutonij said:
You got it right man....I was trying to point out just that, I'd be a dick!!
If I were him, I'd have every right to be a dick..
And to make it right, he's not punishing you!! He didn't take anything from you, it's not like you owned this loader and he decided to take it from you....He decided not to give it at all, because he thinks it shouldn't be done at this point..
Maybe he'll change his mind after some time..but it's all up to him, all of you won't make any difference, and calling him names won't help, I already said that!!

@Lionhawk, yeah, I agree it's immature, but I was in a very similar situation as Wanikoko, and I just want to say that people are mostly ungrateful fucks..I know there are bunch of people that are supportive and appreciate good work, but most of them will call you names if you don't upgrade on time, or call you out if you decide not to release YOUR own work..It's like they think they own it and not Wanikoko, like they must get it if it's already developed......
I hate that attitude.....that guy did for Wii scene probably more than anybody else (or than most of them), and people here complain about the loader, and his decision, swearing and being rude..

I'm just saying that if I were him, all this would just piss me more.....

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe that it sucks to have a project you're working on leaked, and see that as enough reason to discontinue it.
I'm just hoping he doesn't stop programming Wii homebrew.

Besides, seems like a modchip actually has higher compatibility.

Lionhawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
@Lionhawk, yeah, I agree it's immature, but I was in a very similar situation as Wanikoko, and I just want to say that people are mostly ungrateful fucks..I know there are bunch of people that are supportive and appreciate good work, but most of them will call you names if you don't upgrade on time, or call you out if you decide not to release YOUR own work..It's like they think they own it and not Wanikoko, like they must get it if it's already developed......
I hate that attitude.....that guy did for Wii scene probably more than anybody else (or than most of them), and people here complain about the loader, and his decision, swearing and being rude..

Is understandable... but when you are doing things for free you do it for the people that support you, the people that is grateful. Is more than common to find some... people that don't respect the effort of a developer, but that's a daily basis in this world, for every job, and for every activity. Is understandable the anger but why let die something that you wanted to give to the people that cares about you?

Is like wanting to make a teddy bear with your own hands and giving it to your girlfriend, and a bunch of the people that you think respects you comes and tell you that it sucks, that it's gay, etc. etc. So you are going to stop finishing it and delivering it to your girlfriend that she will be grateful and happy about it just because a bunch of idiots?. That's what i mean when i say he needs to relax and think things over. Though everyone is a different mind and a different world so which ever is he decision is acceptable and respectable.

Jordan10la

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow I knew none of this. I noticed GBAtemp was down but had no clue why. I hadn't been here or to /v/ (flames ensue) so I didn't have any clue what was going on. I respect the creators right to cease working on this project but I don't think he should. I, and many others, would greatly appreciate it. I didn't believe it was even possible but now that it is I want it.

Jordan10la

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I had just found about this lie kan hour ago. I noticed GBAtemp was down but I had no clue why. I respect the creators right to discontinue his loader but I wish he wouldn't. I don't get why he would. Get angry I get but it's not everyone in the community that released it. And not everyone takes it so ligthtly and thinks we deserve it. I would highly appreciate it and I get how a lot of hard work goes into it and it is his work.

Also are we allowed to discuss trying the leak? I personally have not tried it but I hear soem have and I'm very curious but do not want a bricked Wii.

EDIT: Oh, I thought my last post didn't go through. So I retyped it from memory... My bad.
EDIT2: Thanks to whoever removed my first post that I didn't tihnk went through.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He was rightful to discontinue the project. I mean it was his project so he can stop developing it any time he wishs for whatever reason. If he had a cold and because of said cold he wanted to stop developing that is his right to do so.

I still do not see why everyone is flipping out over it. If you want to see a Backup loader the best thing you can do if you want something bad enough is do it yourself. And if you are unwilling to put your time and effort into learning and want someone else to do all the work for you then well you did not want it bad enough.

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lionhawk said:
Toni Plutonij said:

Is understandable... but when you are doing things for free you do it for the people that support you, the people that is grateful. Is more than common to find some... people that don't respect the effort of a developer, but that's a daily basis in this world, for every job, and for every activity. Is understandable the anger but why let die something that you wanted to give to the people that cares about you?

Is like wanting to make a teddy bear with your own hands and giving it to your girlfriend, and a bunch of the people that you think respects you comes and tell you that it sucks, that it's gay, etc. etc. So you are going to stop finishing it and delivering it to your girlfriend that she will be grateful and happy about it just because a bunch of idiots?. That's what i mean when i say he needs to relax and think things over. Though everyone is a different mind and a different world so which ever is he decision is acceptable and respectable.
Thanks for such an intelligent post, Lionhawk. My thoughts about this issue is very much the same.
Good thing we're on GBAtemp. If this were some other forum, we would just end up with posts that just throws gas on the fire.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
If I were him, I'd have every right to be a dick..
You never have the right to be a dick. That's why being a dick is generally considered a bad thing.

Toni Plutonij said:
And to make it right, he's not punishing you!! He didn't take anything from you, it's not like you owned this loader and he decided to take it from you....He decided not to give it at all, because he thinks it shouldn't be done at this point..
From his site: "Congratulations! I don't care about who leaked Backup-Loader but now it's OFFICIALLY an abandoned project. Enjoy it." It's hard to believe that he didn't intend for that to be taken as a punishment. An analogy would be a mother promising her son a pizza dinner, but then deciding not to give it to him because, say, one of his friends tripped her on her way to work. I wouldn't be bothered at all if he had simply decided to not release it, but the fact that he essentially said, "Well look what you did you little shits, now you get nothing. Are you proud of yourselves?" when it was only one person who actually wronged him is what bugs me.
I could be coming at this from the wrong angle entirely, though, as I only kept a loose following of the hype; did he have anything to do with the videos or the general waving-in-our-faces of it? If he intended to keep the entire thing secret until release and other people started up all the hype, it's more understandable.

QUOTE(Longbaugh @ Sep 20 2008, 02:53 AM)
Instead of intimating that people are dicks you could always buy a modchip at gbatemps partner site
I don't have any interest in modchips or this release in general, as I've already purchased the few Wii games that have piqued my interest. The situation surrounding the release is what provoked me to post.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh....so this is why GBAtemp has been down, eh? I was kinda wondering what was going on.....pesky work eating all my time and leaving me out of the know.
rolleyes.gif

So, it was a loader that let you play ISO's on the Wii? Yeah, I could see how it being leaked would anger the dude who made it if he wasn't ready to release it. Now Nintendo knows about it and will work to release a firmware that will disable its ability to function that much sooner.

I don't have or even want a Wii, so it's moot to me, but I can see how something like this would stir up a lot of interest. But instead of punishing the community for the leak, he should find out which one of his beta testers leaked it and throttle the dude. I mean, he would just HAVE to know that something this useful to pirates would spread like wildfire throughout ANY community dedicated to such things if a working version of the program reaches a download link. I know a few people dying to be able to play games for free on their Wii, but are terrified about opening up their precious console to install a MOD chip. So yeah, no wonder it's making such an impact.

It's just too bad it has to be the one site I care about that gets bogged down because of it.

ryuhosuke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
it is too bad that the creator has to quit, i mean i know it must be be a lot of work and time for him to release this nice loader for you guys who either have the new wiis and can't be modded and such that, but has to quit. I am sorry for this creator and i hope he does decides to continue this project, but if not then we all know why and he does have a right to do so. We all take things for granted and never say thanks sometimes. I just hope that everyone gets to use it to its fullest abilities and hope that one day people would learn and just keep things for themselves and really not just post things without the originator's permission.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
"Well look what you did you little shits, now you get nothing. Are you proud of yourselves?" when it was only one person who actually wronged him is what bugs me.
One person wrong him, but given the opportunity, how many do you think WOULD have wrong him. I'm sure if anyone of us, if getting ahold of the beta, probably would have done something to share it. Who we choose to share it with isn't the question, because sharing it period is leaking it. He has every right to be upset, but he seriously should have known it would happen; it was unavoidable.

I don't know the whole situation in it's entirety, but I think that both sides have reasons to be upset, but each really should have foreseen something like this happening. Hopefully he changes his mind and continues his project, but if he chooses not to, someone else will probably pick up where he left off. Sorry for the negative attitude.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
...This is easily the most anticipated Wii homebrew release since ever, and he gets all pissy and denies it to the entire community because one person (Who had to get it through him or someone he gave it to in the first place!) leaked it? Not to mention that the primary use of the release is for piracy, (That is, giving someone else's developed work to the masses without their permission.) anyway....

...Either way, it's his code, and he's in full right to not release it. He's done a lot of good for the community, and he deserves respect for that. I just think he's being a dick about this for no good reason.

^This

The irony of this situation is overwhelming.
rolleyes.gif

Also, in response to what Rayder had to say...this whole thing is destined to change console-gaming piracy, at least so far as it concerns Nintendo. It's one thing that folks are able to play games with a flashcard on the DS, but the Wii is now their flagship, and if Nintendo's past actions in conjunction with worldwide government agencies has shown us anything, they can and will bite back. Making it this easy to pirate Wii games is sure to hit a very sensitive nerve with one huge mother-fucking corporation, and things might start getting hot around here. All I can say is, I never really worried about being a member of GBATemp...until now.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
Humm, I haven't been keeping up on every single thing that has gone on, but it's a shame to see him stop development of the softloader, I had been looking forward to the final version. I'm a bit surprised that he's surprised that it was leaked, with something this major it was bound to happen (and indeed it does happen quite often), but that's a hard lesson to learn. I suspect (and hope) that this is just an emoragequit thing, he's too talented of a coder to lose.

In either case he's done a great service for all of us with the softloader, if he doesn't pick it up hopefully there's someone talented enough out there that can.

Prax

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!!! Waaaaa!

Get serious. Someone screwed up. Someone threw a hissy fit. Someone else will do him up one better. No, not tomorrow, but eventually. Idiots are everywhere. Don't be surprised by 'em... especially on the intarwebs.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Apex said:
QUOTE said:
"Well look what you did you little shits, now you get nothing. Are you proud of yourselves?" when it was only one person who actually wronged him is what bugs me.
One person wrong him, but given the opportunity, how many do you think WOULD have wrong him. I'm sure if anyone of us, if getting ahold of the beta, probably would have done something to share it. Who we choose to share it with isn't the question, because sharing it period is leaking it. He has every right to be upset, but he seriously should have known it would happen; it was unavoidable.

I don't know the whole situation in it's entirety, but I think that both sides have reasons to be upset, but each really should have foreseen something like this happening. Hopefully he changes his mind and continues his project, but if he chooses not to, someone else will probably pick up where he left off. Sorry for the negative attitude.
Believe it or not, not everyone must instantly tell and share with others what they've been trusted with. Big things are harder to contain, but not impossible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64