Alienware Question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Ethevion, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    The Alienware X51 desktop has a bunch of high end parts like a GTX 670 and an i7-4770. What I noticed though, is that it has a 330 Watt power supply. Is that PSU enough for a high end gaming PC?

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Yes. The new parts (even the high end) are surprisingly power-efficient now.

You can thank the rapidly advancing mobile industry for that.

3. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    That's interesting. I thought it would need at least 650 Watts, but it looks like I was wrong

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Those wattage estimates are assuming,

* You are using garbage PSU like Diablotek (which many PC builders are using, thanks to reputable sellers like Newegg stocking them).
    * You are using power hungry components, like AMD FX processors.

5. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    It is pretty interesting, honestly.

At the same time it's depressing, though. The focus over the past few years has been heavily on power efficiency more so than computing performance (although you could argue they are both the same thing). As such, there hasn't exactly been mind-blowing performance leaps from one generation of desktop chips to the next.

6. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    It has been that way because money makers are tablet and mobile device, where performance per wattage ratio is important above anything else. Desktop market is shrinking every year.

7. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada

My PSU is an NZXT 650 Watt which was around the same price of a Corsair in the same Watt range. My Processor is an Intel i5 3570k.

I guess if advancements in technology can help us save power, there will be more room for power boosts in the future.

8. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    That's the idea (at least I think it is).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly there was very little clock-for-clock performance gain from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge. However, the new process allowed the processors to use less power and run cooler than the equivalent chip from the previous generation, which let PC makers just slap faster chips in their machines but still maintain the same power budget.

However, I keep hearing the new Intel chips are garbage for overclocking, though, which kind of violates this idea. Would anyone mind explaining why this is the case?

9. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There exists about 400 MHz performance between Sandy and Ivy. That is to say 4.2 GHz Sandy will have similar performance with 3.8 GHz Ivy.

Last mainstream chip great for overclock is Sandy Bridge. Ivy can have some decent overclock if you delid it (removing IHS and re-apply thermal paste). Haswell is not a good overclocker due to combination of the need to delid and integrated VRM (which raises the core temperature). Broadwell might improve on this due to 14 nm die shrink.

10. Lanlan

Lanlan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2011
    United States
    Don't tell me you're considering buying that overpriced turd.

corenting likes this.
  11. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Why on Earth do they still put those heat-spreaders on the desktop chips? Cause more hassle than help.

12. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Two reasons,

* Die size, or rather, the surface area of the die is very small in comparison to the chip. IHS increase the contact area, which should help heat dissipation.
    * Due to small size, die can be easily crushed when mounting a cooler.

13. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    No, but my next PC will be an Alienware. I'm tired of problems popping up on a self built PC, especially since I'm no expert and have a hard time troubleshooting things. Calling the companies for warranties takes forever too. My buddy got one of those mini Alienware PCs and it had a problem with the HDD. After he called them and went through troubleshooting with them, they went to his house the next day to repair it. I wouldn't mind that kind of service.

14. PityOnU

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    But with the IHS (did I use that right?) the heat has to go

Chip>Thermal paste>IHS>Thermal paste>Heat sink

Which sucks.

Mobile chips (which, granted, have a much smaller die size) do not have an IHS.

15. Lanlan

Lanlan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2011
    United States
    That just makes you seem lazy, uninformed, and that you have too much money for your own good. No offence, that's just how I see everyone who wants an Alienware. Or Beats. Or a Macbook.

kehkou likes this.
  16. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Mobile chips often use thermal tapes/pads, so mounting directly on top of them isn't much of an issue.

17. gamewizard

gamewizard GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    United States
    Earth
    Yeah for the hardware it is, but I have some advice when it comes to Alienware...

STAY AWAY

18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    You're willing to pay like a 200% markup for a convenience like that?
    Lordy. Its not THAT difficult to troubleshoot yourself.

Thanatos Telos and gamewizard like this.
  19. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You could try a prebuilt that's actually got gaming parts in it other than a boutique like Alienware. Like Dell, who owns Alienware, but charges a good chunk less for the same parts in a different case and name? :P

Or Lenovo, etc.

kehkou likes this.
  20. zuron7

zuron7 RBYG

Apr 6, 2009
    India
    GPS not available in this area
    The only reason you'd want an Alienware is for their cool keyboard on their laptops. Their desktops pretty much say Apple pricing to me.