AKAIO Wi-Fi Update..

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by rexkim, Jul 16, 2009.

Jul 16, 2009

AKAIO Wi-Fi Update.. by rexkim at 3:32 AM (2,685 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. rexkim
    OP

Newcomer rexkim Member

Canada
    The AKAIO Wi-Fi update doesn't seem to work for me. It fails to connect despite my connections being fine. I think it might have to do something with my connection being the Wi-Fi USB Connector.

Is there anyway around this problem? Connecting to my network doesn't work as my DS cannot pick up the signal.

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    What kind of DS is it? The DSi doesn't seem to like wifi with most homebrew applications.

3. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You need to broadcast your SSID for Wifi update to work in AKAIO. Also make sure you're using WEP encyrption. It doesn't support WPA.

4. rexkim
    OP

Newcomer rexkim Member

Canada
    I'm using a DSi.

The strange thing is, the DSi used to be able to pick up and use my home connection. However, after a while, it suddenly stopped working. Upon further examination, I discovered that the DSi wasn't able to pick up the signal at all.

Seeing as I had no idea how to fix that, I used a Wi-Fi USB connector instead. I was wondering if the AKAIO was going to support the USB Connector.

5. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Nah, it's just that, for some reason, homebrew usually can't do wifi on the DSi. The only program I know that actually does work is Beup. I'm pretty sure that, last time I checked, nothing else seemed to work on mine. It works fine on any other DSs though.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    someone mentioned a specific cut off date in #acekard where homebrew will work. i think it has something to do with an update to dswifilib, or the like. i'm sure what i just said is incorrect but it might give you a place to start your own research.

maybe you will turn into the guy who updates old homebrew for dsi wifi compatibility!

-another world

7. rexkim
    OP

Newcomer rexkim Member

Canada
    Hm, thanks for the replies. It really isn't a big deal, all it would have done is save the hassle of manually doing it.

8. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Haha, pretty much all I can find on google about this issue is what's been posted on GBAtemp. Guess I haven't looked very hard, but it looks like dswifi lib hasn't been updated for nearly a year now. Do the developers of Beup have a blog anywhere that might show how they managed to get around these problems?

9. Another World

Colombia
    did mik write beup? if so he is a gbatemp member.

-another world

10. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Hm...I actually found this:
    http://www.htheb.com/html/index.html

Nothing actually helpful on the site though. Either way, I really have hardly any first-hand homebrew experience at all, so I don't think I can be of much help as of right now. [​IMG]

11. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Strange. WiFi (and even cheat database) updating works for me. I use a DSi with the latest firmware and my card is HW81.

12. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Really? Perhaps it's the hardware revision, then, that matters. Not too sure what mine is, actually...but it's one of the ones that doesn't have a spring loader, so I'm guessing it's not one of the newest ones.

13. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Weird..... I can get quake, both ports, running on wifi. Win2DS, DS2Key, and I think that's all I've tested O.o

I wonder if it's just your connections, because every homebrew app that supports wifi that I've tested works.

BTW, YES, I am using a DSi.

14. Da-Bomb1

Canada
    Yeah, I think it might be the hardware revision of the card...I'm kinda too lazy to check, but I think mine is an older one. [​IMG]

15. zero383

Canada
    I have HW: 44 and Wifi update (loaders/cheats) works just fine. Using a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware though. I've never tried with USB adapter before.

16. rexkim
    OP

Newcomer rexkim Member

Canada
    I'm guessing the problem is the USB Adapter then. It doesn't seem to be able to recognize or use the signal despite the fact that the Wifi capable games are able to recognize and use the signal.

17. zero383

Canada
    What are the options you can change for the USB adapter? Like I said before, AKAIO Wifi update only works if your SSID is set to broadcast. Otherwise, it won't find the signal.

18. rexkim
    OP

Newcomer rexkim Member

Canada
    There is no customization with the adapter aside from accept user and deny user.

19. Another World

Colombia
    i find that hard to believe. it didn't come with any software? perhaps you need to go back and check what you purchaed. some of the dealextreme usb dongles which list "nds" in the features only broadcast in wpa. you would probably be better off picking up a cheap wifi enabled router. i got mine for $75 bucks and it does my home network proud.

-another world

20. dhjohn

Member dhjohn GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The official nintendo wifi usb connector does come with software, but the only options are to allow/deny a ds or wii that is attempting to connect to it. I used it myself for a while before I got my router setup so the Wii could see it.