Not open for further replies.

Briankealing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the story.
My SD card got corrupted and I was previously running the AK2 firmware. I decided to pull off the switch to AKAIO to see how it went.

Appearance:
Well, obviously, the menu looks the same, but the insides are completely different. On AKAIO, I got hit with noticeabally more menu options than the AK2 menu. But the menus are kind of complicated - the dedicated cheat button in the AK2 firmware is gone in AKAIO. And I took me a couple weeks to realize saving my cheat file was the SELECT button, written in very tiny at the top of the menu.

AK2 firmware - 8/10. Well placed menus and little clutter.
AKAIO - 7/10. I got lost in it rather quickly, but gives more options than the AK2 firmware.

The insides:
The AKAIO firmware started with all the patches off, and the AK2 firmware starts with all the patches on. The AK2 patches get kind of annoying as each ROM has universal settings while in AKAIO the ROMs have specific patches for each ROM.

AK2 firmware - 7/10. Well chosen defaults - but no specific ROM settings.
AKAIO - 7.5/10. Face it - the defaults are badly chosen. But having specific ROM settings puts AKAIO at the top.

The features/user interface:
The AKAIO firmware is obviously larger developed than the official firmware, as the menu is bigger, 3 in 1 support, wifi updating, etc. The AK2 firmware is low on features but a bit more well organized than AKAIO. AKAIO had the stuff but was easy to get lost in, while the AK2 firmware didn't have much but was very well organized.

AK2 firmware - 7/10. Like a clean office desk.
AKAIO - 8.5/10. With Wifi updating and good 3 in 1 support, AKAIO gets the top but gets dragged down by confusing menus.

So what can we conclude?
After messing with the AK2 firmware and AKAIO for a few hours, it's pretty obvious that AKAIO is the winner with more plugins, wifi updating, etc. But the AK2 firmware is easier to work with.

AK2 - For newbie users
AKAIO - For advanced users.

I'm betting I'm going to get flamed and crap after this.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
It took me less than 5 minutes to get used to AKAIO, I haven't even tested the official firmware but it must suck balls opposed to AKAIO. And also, readers, don't believe what the OP says, even a kid can use AKAIO, it's any confusing at all.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Smiths said:
DURPO HOW I READ TEXT ON SCREEN I STOOPID SELECT BUTTON WRITTEN ON TOP OF WINDOW WHY I READ IT OR READ WIKI ABOUT FEATURES OH THERE A CHEAT BUTTON I COULD PRESS WITH THUMB DURP
Now that's funny lol

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
It would help if you described which bits confused you, because if they are legitimate concerns then AKAIO maintainers may actually take them on board.

Personally AKAIO doesn't seem any harder than the official menu, It's pretty obvious where all the options are, but even if you couldn't find them, you would still be able to operate the menu in almost exactly the same way as the official menu, disregarding that those options exist.

I think your comparison misses many vital aspects, such as the faster folder browsing, better game compatability etc. And I think overall you underestimated the difference in performance between the menus.

I do think you will get flamed more, so I will close this thread. If you wish to expand on your contribution feel free to comment in one of the existing AKAIO threads or contact the authors.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a