Hacking AKAIO or official firmware for 3DS?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get AKAIO, even the creator(s) recommend it. It has great compatibility, great features...get it. Seriously, there's no reason to get the official one.

Also, since I'm sure someone's going to say it I might as well. You are referring to the Kernel/OSMenu. Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying for future reference.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....You are referring to the Kernel/OSMenu. ...

Sorry, yeah. I've been using my original CycloDS Evo for so long, I haven't really tinkered with much else. When I read the update thread in the 3DS Hacking forum, I wasn't sure if that latest update listed was for the OFW or AKAIO. So, you guys are saying I can use that update with AKAIO, then?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
....You are referring to the Kernel/OSMenu. ...

Sorry, yeah. I've been using my original CycloDS Evo for so long, I haven't really tinkered with much else. When I read the update thread in the 3DS Hacking forum, I wasn't sure if that latest update listed was for the OFW or AKAIO. So, you guys are saying I can use that update with AKAIO, then?
yeah, the updater can be run on akaio.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One more quick question here so I don't have to start a new thread...I'm a bit confused with some of the set-up process for the ak2i. I've read both the noob guide and the wiki -- actually several times -- but I want to be sure I don't render the card useless before I even have a chance to use it on my 3DS. Again, I'm only familiar with the Cyclo Evo, which requires only one file to install. With this card, however, there seem to be three main components: firmware/kernel, loader, and whatever update is out there. To be clear (after formatting the microSD), I extract the firmware (1.8.8 seems to be the latest AKAIO firmware) to the microSD, insert the latest loader into the "__aio/loaders" folder, and place the update on the root and launch it once in my system (a DS phat or Lite before actual use on the 3DS)?

Do I have all the step correct?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1) Download AKAIO 1.8.8 from here, then extract it to the root. There should be _aio, akmenu4.nds, and maybe another folder, but I'm blanking right now. KEEP THIS ARCHIVE FOR LATER.

2) Get the 3DS/DSi update file here, extract it to your MicroSD (I just do it to my root to avoid confusion, although I don't know if that's necessary), and run the update file corresponding to the DS the AK2i is currently in. Once it's done updating, use the power switch to fully shut down the DS, i.e. hold down the power button on a DSi!

3) Either get the newest loader here and extract it to "_aio/loaders" or use AKAIO's Wi-Fi Update feature to automatically get the latest loader online.

If you updated the AK2i seemingly successfully (i.e. the DORASU icon shows up on the DSi Menu), but you get a black screen once you load the AK2i, you have run into a fairly common issue. Simple fix: You know that AKAIO archive you kept from earlier? Just re-extract the contents to the MicroSD root, replacing everything it asks to. You should then be good to go!

Sorry, I would have gotten this posted sooner, but GBAtemp started giving me a "502 Bad Gateway" error.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
1) Download AKAIO 1.8.8 from here, then extract it to the root. There should be _aio, akmenu4.nds, and maybe another folder, but I'm blanking right now. KEEP THIS ARCHIVE FOR LATER.

2) Get the 3DS/DSi update file here, extract it to your MicroSD (I just do it to my root to avoid confusion, although I don't know if that's necessary), and run the update file corresponding to the DS the AK2i is currently in. Once it's done updating, use the power switch to fully shut down the DS, i.e. hold down the power button on a DSi!

3) Either get the newest loader here and extract it to "_aio/loaders" or use AKAIO's Wi-Fi Update feature to automatically get the latest loader online.

If you updated the AK2i seemingly successfully (i.e. the DORASU icon shows up on the DSi Menu), but you get a black screen once you load the AK2i, you have run into a fairly common issue. Simple fix: You know that AKAIO archive you kept from earlier? Just re-extract the contents to the MicroSD root, replacing everything it asks to. You should then be good to go!

Sorry, I would have gotten this posted sooner, but GBAtemp started giving me a "502 Bad Gateway" error.
Or you could just click my sig, download the program and choose "Help me set up my cart" then "Acekard 2i"

To get the DSi update, choose "DSi Firmware Fixes" and choose the "Acekard 2i" one.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it normal for 1.8.8 firmware to still say "1.8.7"? I put the folder and nds file for the firmware update on the card, but it's still showing up in the header as "Release 1.8.7."

HammerGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's beacause the AKAIO team forgot to update the skin. If you go to the Help menu, it will say that AKAIO 1.8.8 is installed, so you don't need to worry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up