AK2i..unflashed itself?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by L551, Jan 15, 2011.

Jan 15, 2011

AK2i..unflashed itself? by L551 at 4:48 PM (1,828 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. L551
    OP

Member L551 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So yesterday I turned on my DSi (1.4.1) to realize the AK2i showed in the menu as "Acekard 2i" once again. Thinking this just was a contact error, I took it out, used a can of air to clean the game slot, and put it back in. Still read "Acekard 2i". So, I tried it in my DSLite. Showed as Acekard 2i, but would not boot AKAIO. Just hung at loading screen.

So I pulled out my R4, put the AK2i 1.4.1 flash on it, and ran it to update the AK2i again. This worked, it showed as Alex Rider once again, and AKAIO booted.
    Now this morning, it did it again. I don't want this to turn into a process. Why is it doing this? Though, I assume my best course of action would to just purchase a new one?
    (I got this one from RHS in the end of '09)

2. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    thats really odd, i havn't heard anything like it, but maybe theres something wrong with your card. does it always show loading after it shows "ak2i" in the dsi menu? and how about in the ds lite, does it work when showing "ak2i" ?

3. L551
    OP

United States
    When in DSi while it says Acekard 2i, it just gives me the "an Error has Occurred" screen.

While in DSL, it just sits on "Loading", when showing "Acekard 2i"
    Same with DSPhat.

4. anaxs

Canada
    hmm, try backing up everytihng on the microsd card your using to your computer so you dont delete anything you need, then format it. then download the firmware you prefer to use again, like the official or akaio, and then put your games back, try and see if that works, ad if its not working update it too

5. L551
    OP

United States
    ....How does that help the problem, specifically? It's not an AKAIO booting problem. It's one with the card itself. Only when it loses its flash does AKAIO not boot.

6. Rowan

Member Rowan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    what holds the firmware for your card. The microSD. Give it a try see if it works.

7. L551
    OP

United States
    It did not. [​IMG]

8. anaxs

Canada
    well, then its the problem with the card itself. your probably going to have to buy a new one

9. night2fire

Newcomer night2fire Newbie

United States
    Hey guys, I don't intened to hijack this post but made me think of a question when reading these post. After you flash the card do u reformat it or just leave it the way it is? Lets say i used 4.23 to flash it and now want to use the new 1.8.5 AKAIO. Also do you give the SD card a name or leave it blank.

Thanks for your info.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    flashing the acekard only affects the bootloader area and has nothing to do with the micro sd card. you could flash the bootloader and then load up a micro sd card with the ez iv firmware and nothing would happen. why would you want to use the acekard official firmware for anything? =P

back on topic:
    the unflashed 2i logo will appear if the card has contact issues. also if you used akaio 1.8.2 or 1.8.3 (fake release) you might have overwritten your bootloader while using AP.

-another world

11. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The "firmware" is held on the flashcard's internal memory and is flashed by the flashing programs

12. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    No. The firmware is NOT on the MicroSD.
    The Kernel/Menu/OS is on the MicroSD.
    The firmware updater is on the MicroSD.
    The firmware is stored on a writable chip inside the AceKard2i itself.

People need to stop confusing the two, because when people are told to update their firmware they respond with 'well I've got the latest AKAIO'. AKAIO is not a firmware.

13. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    The people that probably learn this the fastest are the people that get EZV/i's xD (because not being able to tell the difference can be potentially very dangerous).

14. L551
    OP

United States
    I did not use 1.8.2/1.8.3. I went from 1.8.1 to 1.8.5a.
    I guess my card is just giving out *shrug*
    I am aware it can say acekard2i in a DSi menu if it has contact issues, but that wasn't the case. The firmware (bootloader) erased itself and wouldn't boot into AKAIO in any DS/DSi.

15. claudiovc

Newcomer claudiovc Member

Brazil
    It seems like hardware problem, like those old computers that reset date/time everytime your turn them off =D....guess your card is ready for the retirement.

16. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    This problem still exists on modern PCs if the motherboard's battery is dead. Since the data on the internal flash of ak2i doesn't rely on a battery, it is not his problem =P.

Just reflash the card and see what happens.