AK2 newbie having AKAIO problems

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by inamo, Nov 5, 2008.

Nov 5, 2008
  1. inamo
    OP

Newcomer inamo Member

United States
    just got the AK2 and am damn excited to use the thing with AKAIO but I can't get it to work properly with AKAIO. When I turn it on, it has a blue screen on the top and its black on the bottom, also every time I try to enable the start menu to switch skins it just freezes. I am using all the latest files and have it on a 4gb class 6 microSDHC. The original AK2 menu works fine, but I want to get the AKAIO firmware that everyone is raving about.

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I think you may be missing whatever skin it uses as the default. Edit the globalsettings.ini file and change the skin setting to a skin that you have.

-Bri

3. inamo
    OP

Newcomer inamo Member

United States
    seems the file I downloaded didn't even have a globalsettings.ini so I just copy and pasted the file from the AK2 firmware and its working fine now. thanks!

4. Bri

United States
    OK, they probably didn't include it because people upgrading might overwrite their old one which would reset all of their settings.

It would make sense if AKAIO would just create a default globalsettings.ini if it doesn't exist -- that would solve the problem.

Anyway, glad you got it working! AKAIO is an excellent menu system!

-Bri

5. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    AKAIO does and has always created a globalsettings.ini if it doesn't exist.

6. ganons

Member ganons GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    how come dstt can skip the warning health screen at bootup and acekard cant?

7. Bri

United States
    Flash carts can either 1) skip the health warning screen and startup menu entirely and boot all the way to the menu (ala the DSTT), or 2) show the health warning screen but also have the option of showing the startup menu (to initiate download play or PictoChat, to change settings) and launch the menu as if it's a regular cartridge (ala the AK2).

I have used both, and I prefer the way the AK2 does it. Honestly, I don't find pressing one button to get past the health warning screen to be that big a deal.

-Bri

8. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    If you wanna directly boot your Acekard and bypass the health/safety warning, do this:

1.On your DS, configure all settings not done on initial startup (GBA screen, Auto-boot (MUST BE ON), region etc.).

2.Remove your battery for about 15-20 seconds to clear volatile data.

3.Replace the battery and go through initial setup, but when it prompts you to press A to turn it off, use the power switch instead.

4.Insert your Acekard and boot 'er up.

You will lose access to pictochat and download play until you complete initial setup (undoing this softmod), though.
    The process is fully reversible by booting into the firmware menu and redoing the settings.

9. carterman

Member carterman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, booting to the DS menu is kind of necessary because the Acekard won't run slot-2 devices in GBA mode from its menu, only in DS mode, so if you want to play an actual GBA game, you need to boot to the menu.

10. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    [​IMG] That's bologna.
    On the start-up page of AK2 (and RPG), there is an option to launch slot-2, which will, in fact, boot an actual GBA cart.

I just launched my MetroidFusion cartridge from within the Acekard GUI.

11. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    if i recall you hold Left + A to boot to ds mode, just hitting A boots to gba mode by defult. you can hit "Y" on the gba icon will give you some info. i don't have my ds here to double check. i think it is this way on both official and akaio.

-another world