[AIO] PS4 Exploit Guide

Discussion in 'PS4 - Tutorials' started by KiiWii, Mar 2, 2018.

1. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Little project I'm working on in spare time:

[​IMG]

It's just a simple update checker, if/when a new update comes out this will show it and list it.
    + Super light weight (2.8kb)
    + Parses size and MD5 of latest update SYS & REC.
    + Direct download from CDN.
    + Fully Dynamic information.
    + Added 5.05 SYS & REC links too for anyone who needs it.

Last edited by KiiWii, Jan 22, 2019
    elm, scott902, ca032769 and 1 other person like this.
  2. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    @Markus95 has released PS2 classics version of retroarch for PS4, comprising of NES emulator and method for packing roms into the pkg to use within CDFS browser.

Look over at his twitter or logicsunrise for more info (cant be shared here).

3. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    [Ps4 5.05/AW 1.23] Exodus Mod Menu preview:

By CMT Frosty :)

Looking sexy :) hope its a payload that can be added to X-Project :)

Last edited by KiiWii, Jan 23, 2019
    scott902 likes this.
  4. Adam512

Adam512 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    Czech Republic
    difference? advantages / disadvantages of another emulator?

There is also a problem with "NTSC Roms are a bit slower because ...". as in emulator 1.01 (PS4 NES by m0rph3us1987) ???

5. Soulmonger

Soulmonger Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2019
    United States
    I just checked out the PS4 Trainer page and noticed Sonic Mania is listed there. Is sonic mania playable on 5.05? I've been wanting to play that game but thought it was above 5.05.

6. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    M0rphs nes emu always runs strange for me, I use mario as a baseline, and it appears to run fast and the music/sfx pitch is just wrong. Apparently this PS2 version is full speed :) I will be testing today :)

Yeah sonic mania works fine on 5.05 :)

7. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    @Adam512 ok so I have tested the Emulator, it runs perfectly for USA roms, EU roms run fast.

Heres a mini Tutorial:

Files needed:
    Retroarch NES ZIP by Markus95 (no links here)
    Fake Package tools 3.38 (no links here)
    CDgenPS2v2: HERE
    ISOBuster: HERE
    Some unzipped NES roms (no links here)

On PC:
    Extract the NES ROMS FPKG into a working folder > rename the extracted SC0 folder to "sce_sys" and drag back into the IMAGE0 folder merging with existing > extract the IMAGE0/DISC01.ISO with ISOBuster into a second working folder > add your roms to the ROMS folder > drag the contents of your second working folder into CDgenPS2v2 > click file save iso and rename to "disc01.iso" (if not save as bin and use bchunk to convert to iso [cmd = bchunk disc01.bin disc01.cue disc01.iso]) > drag the disc01.iso into the IMAGE0 folder in your first working folder overwriting the existing > rename "IMAGE0" folder to "CUSB00000" > run gengp4 on that folder and save the gp4 > open ORBIS-PUB-GEN > open the CUSB00000.GP4 > click build > save the PKG somewhere as "1 NES ROMS INSTALLER.PKG".

On PS4:
    Load X-Project (cached ;) ) > L1 to load HEN > Install the 1 NES ROMS INSTALLER PKG via debug settings pkg installer > run the installed title on PS4 and you will be greeted with uLaunch, use O to navigate to CDFS/ROMS > use X to mark each ROM you want to copy to your PS4 internal hdd > press R1 when done and press O on COPY > back out with TRIANGLE until you see the MC0: option > press O to enter MC0 and R1 then O on PASTE to paste the roms in > PS button back out when done > debug settings > pkg installer > install the RETROARCH NES.PKG (it will over write the installer you just installed) > run the installed title and use O to select LOAD CONTENT > select your rom with O > select QUICKNES CORE > enjoy.

Each time you want to add more roms, you need to install the NES ROM INSTALLER over the NES RETROARCH title, install the games, then re-install the NES RETROARCH PKG to be able to play them.

This is why I added a whole 2689 romset ;)

Notes:
    + Do not change the PKG password, leave it as 32x0's.
    + EU roms run fast, USA roms run fine.
    + Name your PKG’s “1 NES ROM INSTALLER.PKG” and “2 RETROARCH NES PS2PS4.PKG” to avoid confusion and order them correctly on your hdd for installation.
    + Full rom set installer PKG + NES emulator PKG both zipped up come to 333mb
    + Using MC0 as the storage medium limits you to 8mb worth of roms. You can also use MC1 for an additional 8mb storage.
    + Adding the roms to the CDgenPS2v2 application only allows for a certain number of files in the directory (< 4096 iirc), but the RetroArch application itself wont display more than a certain amount in the filebrowser, for all 2689 roms it shows me up to S, T-Z is not displayed (I suggest remove any duplicates and EU roms, unless exclusive, and opt for purely the correct speed running US/JP roms)
    UPDATE:
    + I made a NES USA INSTALLER (for speed and games I would play) which includes 943 roms and it works as intended, displaying A-Z in uLaunch.

Ninn, Leeful and Keeperdy like this.
  8. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    How to update the Retroarch ELF:
    (the original one supplied by Markus95 is 06/01/2019 build)

Files needed:
    Retroarch NES ZIP by Markus95 (no links here)
    Fake Package tools 3.38 (no links here)
    CDgenPS2v2: HERE
    ISOBuster: HERE
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/ps2/ (grab latest built elf) (build 23/01/2019 as of today)

On PC:
    Extract the NES RETROARCH FPKG into a working folder > rename the extracted SC0 folder to "sce_sys" and drag back into the IMAGE0 folder merging with existing > extract the IMAGE0/DISC01.ISO with ISOBuster into a second working folder > copy the name of the "SLUS_200.90" file > copy the latest ELF into the folder & rename it SLUS_200.90 > drag the contents of your second working folder into CDgenPS2 > click file save iso and rename to "disc01.iso" (if not save as bin and use bchunk to convert to iso [cmd = bchunk disc01.bin disc01.cue disc01.iso]) > drag the disc01.iso into the IMAGE0 folder in your first working folder overwriting the existing > rename "IMAGE0" folder to "CUSB00000" > run gengp4 on that folder and save the gp4 > open ORBIS-PUB-GEN > open the CUSB00000.GP4 > click build > save the PKG somewhere as "2 NES RETROARCH.PKG".

On PS4:
    Load X-Project (cached ;) ) > L1 to load HEN > then:

EITHER: Install the 1 NES ROMS INSTALLER PKG via debug settings pkg installer > run the installed title on PS4 and you will be greeted with uLaunch, use O to navigate to CDFS/ROMS > use X to mark each ROM you want to copy to your PS4 internal hdd > press R1 when done and press O on COPY > back out with TRIANGLE until you see the MC0: option > press O to enter MC0 and R1 then O on PASTE to paste the roms in > PS button back out when done > then do next part below:

SKIP TO HERE TO JUST UPDATE THE RA NES PKG: Go to debug settings > pkg installer > install the 2 RETROARCH NES.PKG (it will over write the installer you just installed) > run the installed title and use O to select LOAD CONTENT > select your rom with O > select QUICKNES CORE > enjoy.

Notes:
    + It was almost too easy to update, idk why I didnt think of this earlier, but it worked first time :)
    + You can verify the build in use by going to INFORMATION > SYSTEM INFORMATION in the retroarch UI.
    + As of 07/01/2019 the PS2 RA build of QUICKNES has a return to UI feature to swap games by holding START aka the right side of the touch pad.
    + Closing content and opening another ROM will break sound emulation. Close the app and restart it to get sound back.
    the original PKG by Markus95 was 64MB in size with an ELF of 887kb, this new PKG I have made and tested today has an elf of 919kb and a total PKG size of 12MB (which I thought meant I had done something wrong.... but it worked)
    + TLDR : SLUS_200.90 is the elf in disguise, although the has is different to the hash of the 06/01/2019 build even though it displayed the version 06/01/2019 in the system info.

Last edited by KiiWii, Jan 24, 2019
    Leeful likes this.
  9. Leeful

Leeful GBAtemp Member

Sep 4, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Works great but I get some strange grey block artifacts at the bottom of the screen with the latest core build (23012019).
    Latest Build:
    RetroArch NES (PS2)_20190123162255.
    Old Build:
    RetroArch NES (PS2)_20190123162548.

Anyone else getting the same?

KiiWii likes this.
  10. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    @Leeful, I got the same after loading a game, hold start, close content, load another game > lost sound and got grey artifacts.

The solution was to close it and reopen to get sound back.

As for the artifacts I didnt notice it before trying to close and open content.... I will check...

EDIT: Tried SMB and had grey artifacts but they vanished after a few seconds of play.

Leeful likes this.
  11. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    scott902 and Leeful like this.
  12. scott902

scott902 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    Canada
  13. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    The first post lol.

scott902 likes this.
  14. scott902

scott902 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    Canada
    i suck ....iv been there but cant seem to find it about setting up on a wifi usb? is it the esp?

15. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    No.

Under begin here > click lets get started > click Alternative: Sandisk Connect Wifi USB Stick Self Hosting Offline > go nuts :P

A tutorial for how to use the tutorial.

scott902 likes this.
  16. BionicGecko

BionicGecko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Really not wanting to nitpick here on the great work you put together @KiiWii, however I have to admit that as a newbie I did struggle a bit to understand the "Let's get started" section. I think it's because the guide expects a minimum amount of knowledge from the user, for instance that the entry point is a webkit exploit that has to be run via the browser. Someone completely new to the scene might not understand what "self-hosting" or its alternatives are about.

17. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the input, its due a rewrite soon, I will take that onboard.

BionicGecko likes this.
  18. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I had a play with trying to make the memory card bigger for the PS2 RA NES emulator (and more importantly the rom installer pkg). I know from experience 128MB cards exist, so I did a little digging....

The MAX officially recommended is 32MB, so anything 64Mb and above might prove troubling or incompatible, and we need compatibility, so I wanted to stick to <=32MB.

After extracting the PKG's and examining every file in HXD, I thought a simple method would be the quickest to test:

I took the "formatted.card" file, noted the structure and basic layout. I downloaded PSCX2, set it up, created a 8mb memory card, started up the BIOS, formatted the card, closed it down and examined the structure: very similar. Almost identical. (checked hashes and they're different)

formatted.card:
    8.25 MB (8,650,752 bytes)
    on disc = 8.25 MB (8,650,752 bytes) <--matches above
    CRC32: B7FB3588
    MD5: EB53B096962BC7D87219B48AB7820387
    SHA-1: B527B2A64E7822FD916277A234B6B94263CC591B

mc1.ps2:
    8.25 MB (8,650,752 bytes)
    on disk = 532 KB (544,768 bytes) <-- doesnt match above
    CRC32: 9E3B6232
    MD5: 94D979F7D9763BC0596DA059384AADD4
    SHA-1: 17315ABF934872C096EA6F651865088DD737104E

In HXD checking DIFS i found:
    formatted.card =
    25 0B 04 0D 06 DC 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 25 0B 04 0D 06 DC (at 0000A920)
    mc1.ps2 =
    16 05 15 18 01 E3 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 16 05 15 18 01 E3 (at 0000A920)

... any way... yeah also lots of very slight differences..... all the way through......

YOLO I thought screw it and made a 32MB card, formatted, closed down, checked again, looked very similar.

Renamed the PCSX2 generated "MC001.PS2" to "formatted.card", swapped the file out in the template, and rebuilt the PKG: no errors.

Installed the PKG 1 fine, but it wont boot.

Thinking I made a mistake I installed PKG 2 to see if that would boot: NOPE.

Long story short: the classics template we have must have a checksum somewhere deep within that checks the card upon boot, and its probably expecting 8mb, so it doesn't even get as far to boot the "playstation" logo.

Until this is broken or a CDFS method (I am also looking into this today) is devised to store and read roms from the PKG itself and not have to transfer them to MC0/MC1 first: we are extremely limited with just 16mb total storage space.

Last edited by KiiWii, Jan 24, 2019
    wolf_ and Leeful like this.
  19. Leeful

Leeful GBAtemp Member

Sep 4, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Great thinking:)
    A few things to try.

Instead of making a 32MB card did you try and make just an 8MB first with PCSX2 and see if that works?

When creating the card with PCSX2, did you try with the 'Use NTFS compression' option both on and off?

When formatting the card with PCSX2, did you try an NTSC BIOS and a PAL BIOS to see if there was an difference?

20. KiiWii
    OP

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I’m trying a bunch of options now, and providing Mira logs to someone more skilled than me ;)

Leeful likes this.