After barely a year, Square Enix is already shutting down its mobile Final Fantasy VII battle royale game

fdss.png

An end-of-service notice has been issued for Final Fantasy VII: The First Soldier. The free-to-play battle royale game set as a prequel of sorts to Final Fantasy VII is going permanently offline just a little over a year after its initial launch. Originally released on mobile platforms in November 2021, the game will be shutting down for good on January 11, 2023. According to Square Enix, the reasoning behind this decision is that they "haven't been able to deliver the experience that we were hoping to, and that you all deserve".

In-game purchases have been removed from FF VII: The First Soldier's storefront, but the game will still get regular updates until it shuts down. Support for non-English languages will end on November 1st.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And this is why I refuse to get into their live service or cloud-based games that they push out. You literally can't trust that they won't shut down the service or stop supporting it in a year or two.

Last edited by The Catboy,

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They could've just ask me if this idea was stupidly dumb or not. I would say it is, and they could save a ton of money, giving some to me as a bounty.
This is SE, they are pushing into Web3 after crypto market crashed + Metaverse that has player count averagely at 30 after spending on it more than 1bln $. Normal thinking is not something you can expect from them.

Reactions: ZeroHunta

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why you would only release something like this on smart devices only. If it was on pc/console and had a bit better marketing it might have survived longer.
I'm not sure. It maybe help a little bit, but the entire premise of the game might have just not been the appeal. It's the same thing with how dissidia final fantasy NT. Before that PS4 and STEAM ONLY game, it was for psp which did okay. Major issue with that game is that you're basically forcing a gameplay on the player that wasn't originally present in previous versions. To impose 3v3 gameplay with no option to change and also geared towards esports, and overload it with constant updates for dlc. Just might be the most off putting thing for console gamers. Things might have been different if they had possibly HD remastered the two psp games, with new content and online multiplayer and port it to all consoles. (Before the NT Version perhaps)

Just the idea of a final fantasy battle royale possibly sounds out of the question. I would also add that the way mobile games are structured just maybe wouldn't even help the appeal being on console if they did put it on consoles. Of course it's possible that I'm wrong, but this just opinions based on observations.

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, Squarre has nothing to offer for me. Played 2 mobile from them and just hated them. Even dropt the FF Franchise alltogether. After what they have done with FFVII, the strange begining brocken Remake, they can burn in Hell. I prefer to play the original good Old School Titles but no new game anymore.:rofl2:

Reactions: Naster

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't understand why you would only release something like this on smart devices only. If it was on pc/console and had a bit better marketing it might have survived longer.
I think they were trying to compete with other mobile battle royale games but failed to realize why they were successful. It seems like they threw it out there hoping the FF7 name would make it an instant success and kill all other games.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And nothing of value was lost.
It was actually kind of fun, but it's a mobile game so simpler than what you'd want from a BR game. There wasn't really enough done for it though. It had to compete with Fortnite and PUBG Mobile. Definitely had a solid foundation but there weren't enough players in matches and the magic and melee was pretty much useless.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1