Advice needed for new switches

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by LapCheong, Mar 7, 2019.

1. LapCheong
    OP

LapCheong GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2019
    Australia
    Hi everyone, i just learnt about this community days ago. I just purchased a switch off a ebay listing and it is on the way to me ( XAW70014 ) with OFW 4.1

I have some questions for you all, should i update to OFW 6.2 and stay bellow this OFW through ChoiDujourNX using a CFW like atmosphere with the help of the Kosmos SD files
    OR
    Should i just install the official update of either OFW 7 or 7.01 through Nintendo OTA then do the CFW like above ( This will burn my fuses right? )

The objective of the hack is to run a CFW with the ability to install NSP and running homebrew, i don't plan of downgrading too ( or maybe ? Not sure )

PS: I also planning to buy SX PRO in the future but i would like to try the free CFW first

2. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    The advantage of upgrading from 4.1.0 with ChoiDujourNX is that you are able to downgrade later to 4.1.0 if you want to.

LapCheong likes this.
  3. LapCheong
    OP

Mar 6, 2019
    Australia
    But since i updating the sysnand i will need to keep AutoRCM Enabled forever else upon booting i will burn fuses which prevents me from downgrading too right?

I have searching around that AutoRCM can lead to bricking and battery drain?

4. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    I use autorcm and just leave my switch docked.

5. ELY_M

ELY_M GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    SX PRO do not support current firmware (7.0.1) right now. I would recommend you to get atmosphere and you can do anything on atmosphere.
    I am glad I choose atmosphere over any other CFWs.

6. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Battery will drain only if you accidentally keep the switch in RCM. It’s important that you shut down the switch from a payload, because otherwise the switch won’t be fully turned off.

7. Taorn

Taorn GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2017
    United States
    That's right.

That's partially true. With AutoRCM your console will default to RCM mode whenever you shut it down or restart.

RCM mode itself has no visual indicator, so you won't notice that your Switch is on. That way the power could be drained and your Switch will not turn on. This was mistakenly taken as that the Switch is bricked. That however is not true.

Draining the battery completely is bad, but your Switch will still charge in RCM mode, although really slowly. When it's charged enough, it will turn on just fine. The scary part for most people is the black screen and that they get no charging indicator.

The usage of AutoRCM has become much more convenient with the newest Atmosphere, as the normal shutdown option will really shut your device off, even with AutoRCM enabled. The stock reboot option can also be configurated to boot any payload. This way you only need any injection for cold booting your Switch.

Last edited by Taorn, Mar 7, 2019
  8. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I use autorcm & advise powering off through hekate. I'm using crappy sx os so thats on 6.2.

9. LapCheong
    OP

Mar 6, 2019
    Australia
    I see Thanks guys ! Shall stay at 6.2 until
    I see i guess i will do a nand backup of OFW 4.1
    Then i will use choidujourNX to get me to 7.0.1
    Thanks guys!