Alpha and Omega
OP
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Hi there, I have a few questions regarding IOS...

First, is it safe to delete IOSes I found on my Wii and determined to be unused (versions 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 20, 22).
I checked that they are in fact unused with the Title Lister, which outputs the IOS version each title is using. Is this information accurate?
Importantly, will deleting these IOSes free up some storage space on my Wii?

zeldafn333

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deleting an IOS will almost always result in a brick.
And I believe the IOS and other NAND required files are in a seperate memory space on the wii, which means deleting them wouldn't do anything.

That's as far as I know, which isn't to much
tongue.gif

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
OP
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Sorry but your information is almost certainly not correct.
Crediar reported that his system menu was running fine with only one IOS installed.

I know that many games use different IOSes, but what about the IOSes that are actually not used by any game/channel?
What IOS version a title uses is specified in its TMD, and with Title Lister, I got exactly that information, which must be at least somewhat reliable...

I could post my Title Lister output if you want to verify yourself that several "orphaned" IOS versions exist on my system.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
OP
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
So you think IOS_Reload() is actually used by some official games?
I highly doubt Nintendo allows developers to use such mechanisms.

And every game includes at least the IOS it requires to run, so wouldn't it just trigger an update if the IOS is indeed missing?

zeldafn333

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Helsionium said:

And every game includes at least the IOS it requires to run, so wouldn't it just trigger an update if the IOS is indeed missing?
Most games with an update also come with the newest firmware on the disc so non-wifi users can be on the latest Firmwares as well.
Which would result in you getting all your IOSs back

This is why on the recovery menu, newer games can be used to install a new system menu if corrupted

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Helsionium said:

I'm not 100% sure, some games might really do this. But then only the IOS specified in the tmd, or else Gamma wouldn't work. The IOS Version patching games load the IOS specified in the tmd somehow, but if this is done directly with IOS_Reload() i don't know.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
OP
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
Well... I'll just try. There is no danger of bricking, and I can always just reinstall the IOSes if they are really important.

Anyway, I found out that there is an IOS255 on my Wii, I have never heard about that... could this be leftovers from a failed homebrew application? I never purposefully installed any cIOS as 255...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Helsionium said:
Well... I'll just try. There is no danger of bricking, and I can always just reinstall the IOSes if they are really important.

Anyway, I found out that there is an IOS255 on my Wii, I have never heard about that... could this be leftovers from a failed homebrew application? I never purposefully installed any cIOS as 255...

Probably the one installed by xyzzy if you ever tried to run it (old version) after 23rd oct. update....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1