Add gyro capabilities in HID to VPAD

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Famus484, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Famus484
    OP

Famus484 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

First of all, HID to VPAD is an awesome piece of homebrew, and one the top 3 reasons why I installed Haxchi on my Wii U (along with gamecube/wii/vc injection and retroarch). I was wondering how (un)doable is it to augment it with gyro emulation for the gamepad. It would be really awesome for the Zelda's (aiming and botw special shrines), Splatoon (real gamepad would only be used for touchscreen stuff), and Star fox. Basically where shooting is involved (racing games might benefit too for some).

I see two possible paths (in my inexperience) to achieve that:

1. When the controller has gyro built-in.
    Out of my head, the DS4, Switch Pro and Joy-cons are examples. The controllers would be either usb plugged, wireless network or wireless using an adapter like the Mayflash magic NS in Switch pro mode.

2. Generalise the Splatoon idea.
    So this method, big if possible, would work for any controller currently working, as long as the geometry of the controller is not too unorthodox (rip n64). There would be a wiimote+ attached to the back of the controller, with the only purpose being emulating gamepad's gyroscope. It would appear as an option in the homebrew, and it would be insanely cool.

So my question is: is any of the options doable? I would bet 1. is, but then the question becomes how much work has to be done. I don't know how to code homebrew yet, but I want to help as much as I can.

2. Famus484
    OP

Famus484 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Canada
    Me searching the forum did not lead to anything concrete on the subject, but I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

3. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Don't expect any ground breaking new features to come as hardly anyone uses it anymore as most people have moved on to Switch.

4. Famus484
    OP

Famus484 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Canada
    Ah, that's too bad! I also have the Switch, but I still use my Wii U quite often. I feel like in this scene we are more free than on the switch, where the work done is under Nintendo's scrutiny. I always prefer to hack a console after its end of shelf life.

5. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Well not as many people use Wii U but especially not many people use Hid to Vpad. You can tell by the lack of replies in that thread. I use it, I have a Mayflash NS adapter it allows me to use a wireless Dualshock 3. I played through BOTW with it recently. It would be cool to have gyro abilities like you said for Star Fox Zero and a few others, I just don't see it happening.

6. Famus484
    OP

Famus484 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Canada
    Well I guess I'll have a look at the code, see what I can make of it. Basically, I have to understand how the software interacts with the rest of the system?

First, I made some quick testing, using the dualshock 4 connected wirelessly to my mayflash NS. I notice that the gamepad still fully works while emulation is in effect. Clicking any button on either or both controller works. Furthermore, using Breath of the Wild, I noticed both sticks from both controllers cancel each other out, in an additive way (ex: all the way left on gamepad and a bit right on DS4 makes link slowly walk left). So I conclude the software probably ''adds'' the data of the controller to that of the gamepad (in the form of an OR gate for the buttons).

So I would have to understand how the gyro on both the gamepad and the DS4 work, and see if I can also ''add'' the gyro data.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted