Visit site
XP
Country
30084pm said:
I'd rather pay the $25 tbh

SPH73 said:
I'd rather just pay the extra $25

Law said:
I'd rather pay the extra $25 to get the no-ads version.

Maybe if they sold it at $25 it'd feel like a decent deal.

QFT, QFT, oh and, QFT. Great minds think alike.

It gets worse when you start thinking that if you were going to buy a eBook reader chances are you'd use it a lot. Shitloads of ads =/= $25

QUOTE(jesterscourt @ Apr 12 2011, 12:34 PM)
If the cost was halved, I could understand it. This isn't enough savings for anyone with a brain to justify this purchase over the regular one.

The only way it would justify the purchase is if it was free.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why did I first read this as costing $25 rather than $25 off?
blink.gif

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ProtoKun7 said:
blink.gif
LOL!!! Maybe because it is worth $25?
The battery life is GREAT and all.. but other than that, nothing about that thing is good.
I coudnt even find the book I wanted.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
shadowmanwkp said:
The progress of hacking that thing for the first time will cost you more than $25

Uh... What? Could you give me a cost breakdown on that sum please? Are you planning on renting a computer to do it with?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The ads are on the bottom of the home screen, as well as the screensaver when the kindle is in an idle mode. It's really not that bad considering you don't spend much time on the home screen and the screensavers used to be just pictures of authors and such.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BlueStar said:
shadowmanwkp said:
The progress of hacking that thing for the first time will cost you more than $25

Uh... What? Could you give me a cost breakdown on that sum please? Are you planning on renting a computer to do it with?

Lemme see, if you're the initial hacker, it's gonna take you a lot of time to hack it, so you can't make money in the mean time, thus it is a cost. Another thing is that you need electricity to run that kindle. You probably need internet to look some things up, which ain't free, unless you steal it. You probably need to either use some custom hardware or you need to open it up in order to see how it functions, which potentially mean that you have to replace it due to the risk of bricking it. The list goes on and on. I can even go really mean and say that food and drinks are a cost too, because you use that during hacking, but that is going overboard (while it is technically true).

You have a bit of a narrow-minded idea of the word "cost" if you want a simple example, here's one. Let's say you buy a car. Because you own it, you pay taxes, thus a cost, even if you don't drive the damn thing. To make it run, you have to buy fuel, another cost. Every now and then, it needs to be repaired, yet another cost. You get a ticket because you were driving faster than the speed limit, even that is a cost of owning your damn car. Even the aging of the car is a cost, because straight after buying your car it doesn't have the same value anymore as before you went into the showroom, so you actually have to save money in order to compensate the devaluation of your car.

Be as nit-picky as you want to be, but costs can be huge if you get the right picture.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
This is odd... on one hand its only $25 off to get a Kindle that shows ads which seems like a downgrade. On the other its going to be showing offers you actually want initially. $20 Amazon gift card for $10 and so on but those are probably only going to dissipate once they get the proper ad people in.
$25 doesn't seem worth it to me. Its already the cheapest ebook reader around at £111 for WiFi and pretty well featured for that £111. This seems to me like saying "We'll give you one for £100 that will show ads" (I don't understand the amounts of US dollars too well as to how much $25 actually means) I'd just be like "No, I'll pay £111 for the one without thanks."

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
The ads are on the bottom of the home screen, as well as the screensaver when the kindle is in an idle mode. It's really not that bad considering you don't spend much time on the home screen and the screensavers used to be just pictures of authors and such.
omg, a response other than 'OMG ADDS NO THEY ARE DEVIL'

this must be the apocolypse (but seriously thank you)

QUOTE(emigre @ Apr 12 2011, 04:29 PM) I much rather go on mindless violent shooting at a dog's home than get this ad-supported kindle. Or I'll just pay the extra money.
lolwut?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jamstruth said:
$25 doesn't seem worth it to me. Its already the cheapest ebook reader around at £111 for WiFi and pretty well featured for that £111. This seems to me like saying "We'll give you one for £100 that will show ads" (I don't understand the amounts of US dollars too well as to how much $25 actually means) I'd just be like "No, I'll pay £111 for the one without thanks."
$25 is about £15.37 at the moment.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
blink.gif

I did the same thing.
ohnoes.png

Anyway, I would never get a Kindle. They use a closed format. Get a Nook, and root it. It makes an amazing tablet for the price.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
shadowmanwkp said:
Lemme see, if you're the initial hacker, it's gonna take you a lot of time to hack it, so you can't make money in the mean time, thus it is a cost. Another thing is that you need electricity to run that kindle. You probably need internet to look some things up, which ain't free, unless you steal it. You probably need to either use some custom hardware or you need to open it up in order to see how it functions, which potentially mean that you have to replace it due to the risk of bricking it. The list goes on and on. I can even go really mean and say that food and drinks are a cost too, because you use that during hacking, but that is going overboard (while it is technically true).

You have a bit of a narrow-minded idea of the word "cost" if you want a simple example, here's one. Let's say you buy a car. Because you own it, you pay taxes, thus a cost, even if you don't drive the damn thing. To make it run, you have to buy fuel, another cost. Every now and then, it needs to be repaired, yet another cost. You get a ticket because you were driving faster than the speed limit, even that is a cost of owning your damn car. Even the aging of the car is a cost, because straight after buying your car it doesn't have the same value anymore as before you went into the showroom, so you actually have to save money in order to compensate the devaluation of your car.

Be as nit-picky as you want to be, but costs can be huge if you get the right picture.

So no then, it's not going to cost you £25 in real money to hack it at all. "You can't make money in the meantime?" When I'm sitting at home with my Kindle and I'm not at work I can't just go "Actually, I'll put down my Kindle and go to work for 10 minutes right now." My computer is usually on if I'm browsing GBATemp or if I'm spending a few minutes jailbreaking something. I need to eat food no matter what I'm doing, I'm not going to go "Gee, gonna hack something soon, gonna have to eat a steak so I've got the energy, boy, this is getting expensive."

You can currently jailbreak a Kindle to edit the screensavers etc with 5 minutes of your time, your PC and the bundled USB connector. I can't imagine the ad supported version is going to be hugely different.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
Jamstruth said:
$25 is about £15.37 at the moment.
We always get a raw deal though. Still, even for £95 I'd rather the no ads model. Its just not enough money off to attract buyers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging