Hacking ROM Hack Project [ACWW] Greyscale textures, how were applied this textures ?

Pikario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello!

I'm new here, I'm currently making an Animal Crossing Wild World fan-game using Godot. I've extracted most of the assets with Apicula, all of them are just doing fine. But some were missing: the post office, the museum or the animals houses. So I used Tinke to research and extract them. The meshes are fine, but for the textures I've got strange greyscale textures like this:
Post office:
fx_o_rf.png
fx_o_do.png

Notices board:
fx_ntc.png

I'm assuming it was used with a palette? Is it something common with DS games? (I've never extracted one before)

Thank you for your time!
Post automatically merged:

I've indexed the colors with GIMP and they seems to be same for all textures, 7 in total:
#a8a8a8
#b0b8b8
#bcc1c1
#c0c4c4
#c4c7c7
#d0d0d0

But what makes me think it's not as simple as a palette is that a single color doesn't seem to correspond to a single color in the original game. The most obvious example is the sheets having the same color with the wood on the notice board (changed to red for visibility):
1697302778397.png

Last edited by Pikario,
Reactions: IC_

Pikario

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
An update for anyone interested, I didn't succeed into extracting them directly from the ROM (with all the tools I obtain this strange textures). But I discovered MelonRipper, a fork of MelonDS with the ability to dump the current emulated scene, so I got the textures that way!
o_rf.png
o_do.png

ntc.png

Reactions: YuseiFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols