Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Activision doesn't believe female leads can sell games, and has even gone so far as to change characters to avoid a lady protagonist, according to former employees. Gamasutra reports that focus testing has led to a serious lack of females in games, and since 2005 only girl-focused licensed games like Dora or Barbie have featured female leads at all.

According to the report, a 2007 game from Treyarch was tentatively titled Black Lotus. It featured an Asian female assassin lead character based on Lucy Liu, and the development team was excited about the project. But seeing testosterone-heavy hits like Halo 3 and Modern Warfare, Activision decided that players don't want a lady at the helm. One former employee claims Activision "said they don't do female characters because they don't sell." Another, more bluntly, says they were "given specific direction to lose the chick." Black Lotus lives on now as True Crime: Hong Kong, having changed developers and, apparently, lead characters.

The former employees say this is endemic of a larger problem at Activision: the culture of development built on focus testing. Sources claim the publisher takes the feedback it gets to extremes, stifling innovation and sometimes even sacrificing quality by making time-intensive demands to change projects quickly. As a result, the focus test groups tend to want more of what they've already seen and enjoyed, rather than innovation, and the publisher is said to follow their lead.

"Activision has no room for 'we are making an open-world game with a Hong Kong action movie feel with a female lead,' because that game doesn't exist right now," said one source. "What they do have room for is, 'we are making an open-world game with a gangster main character who can steal cars and shoot people, but it will be in Hong Kong instead of Liberty City.'" As a result, sales dictate development. "If Activision does not see a female lead in the top five games that year, they will not have a female lead," says another source. The publisher will use games like Wet and Bayonetta to prove its point. The report even includes accusations from sources of skewed focus testing to achieve a desired result.

Activision, in response to the article, denied the claims. "Activision respects the creative vision of its development teams," said a company statement. "The company does not have a policy of telling its studios what game content they can develop, nor has the company told any of its studios that they cannot develop games with female lead characters. ... With respect to True Crime: Hong Kong, Activision did not mandate the gender of the lead character. Like all other game and media companies, Activision uses market research in order to better understand [what] gamers are looking for."

The full report is long, but well worth reading if you're curious for more information about Activision's practices. As the publishing giant already fights perceptual problems from its public falling out with West and Zampella, this kind of attention isn't going to do it any favors.

Source

Most of the time a hot chick is gonna get more attention from the pussy-starved gamer base than typical "rough and rugged" soldier type that we see in every fucking game. And for the record main characters alone don't sell, a good game does. If anything this just proves that Activision is stupid enough to think that cover art and titles sells a game more than actual gameplay and reviews.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tomb raider used to sell pretty good didn't it? must have sold decent enough to justify 8 or sequels and a remake....perfect dark sold pretty well too didn't it? metriod games i imagine have made profits....more bullshit from activision but as stated good games sell, not good main characters

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
The former employees say this is endemic of a larger problem at Activision: the culture of development built on focus testing.
This is the major issue here. Not the title character's gender (but the gender angle always gets a rise out of the crowd so let's all jump on that
rolleyes.gif
), but the fact that major companies are sticking to the "tried and true" formulas. With major titles, there's too much money involved to risk experimenting with anything new, so we get tons of cookie cutter titles, and the only innovation is in small games that fail due to a lack of marketing.

Rinse and repeat.

Koumori_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those stupid wankers!
Another reason to give the old heave Ho to that disgusting company!
Please can we all band together and not buy COD:BO?

Perhaps we as gamers can focus on good games, like-- I dunno-- No one lives forever?
Maybe petition WB Interactive to buy the franchise licensing away from those half witted cash-whores?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mirror's Edge was awesome. It sold decently, didn't it. Are they still working on a sequel?
EDIT: I would want True Crime: Hong Kong way more if the lead role was a chick. That would be awesome!

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, looking from a gamers perspective yes female leads dfont sell as good on a initial buy.

What would YOU rather be when your a geek living in your moms basement.

The cool marine type hero that youve always dreamed of being

Or the hot chick that you can never have and the game rubs it in your face.

Pure facts ladies and gentlemen!

But seriously, I always play as a woman in RPG's ... dunno why
rolleyes.gif

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gaaah... I always play as a female when I can
closedeyes.gif
, but it also depends on the storyline cause some games male storyline is just better. This is why I like games which have a male/female option~!
biggrin.gif
And that this also causes for differences in the story~!

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
GundamXXX said:
Well, looking from a gamers perspective yes female leads dfont sell as good on a initial buy.

rolleyes.gif
Yes, because everyone wants to be an unrealistically muscular and bald space marines in space with zero, if not close to zero, contact with females.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:

I've never dreamed of being a cool marine-type hero.

I'd rather play as the hot chick - most of the time all you're looking at is their backsides, anyway.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Samus Aran.
wub.gif

fudgenuts64 said:
Mirror's Edge was awesome. It sold decently, didn't it. Are they still working on a sequel?
EDIT: I would want True Crime: Hong Kong way more if the lead role was a chick. That would be awesome!
Watch it.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
Samus Aran.
wub.gif

fudgenuts64 said:
Watch it.

Did you even know she was a girl before you finished the game? lol. I didn't. Hell I didn't even know she was a girl till SSBB.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ojsinnerz. said:
GundamXXX said:

rolleyes.gif
Yes, because everyone wants to be an unrealistically muscular and bald space marines in space with zero, if not close to zero, contact with females.

I love how noone got my sarcasm :<

In my opinion male female ... who gives a shit. Dragon Age it pays to be a woman sometimes and sometimes it pays to be a man. Same with KOTOR etc etc
It doesnt matter aslong as the story is good and the game is good

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who really cares, if male leads sell better make male leads, but there are people protesting it in anger.
BRING MORE WOMEN! who gives a shit I always pick a male player in every situation even if the female happens to be better (which is never) because I'm a male and don't want to be a girl

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gore said:
who really cares, if male leads sell better make male leads, but there are people protesting it in anger.
BRING MORE WOMEN! who gives a shit I always pick a male player in every situation even if the female happens to be better (which is never) because I'm a male and don't want to be a girl
That sounded a bit too defensive. When playing a third-person game I'd rather stare at an animated woman's bottom than a man's. Still, it takes all sorts.
nyanya.gif

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depravo said:
Gore said:
That sounded a bit too defensive. When playing a third-person game I'd rather stare at an animated woman's bottom than a man's. Still, it takes all sorts.
nyanya.gif
Yeah I guess I am being defensive, but it annoys me that Activision had to release a statement saying they don't do it when they shouldn't have to worry about legitimate business practices. I can respect a preference for a female antagonist but it doesn't click with me that there are actually people angry about it being all males
as for that last part, I always looked over the shoulder of my character, never really gazed upon Niko bellic's ass
nayps3.gif

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Can explain why games that does has a female with a main character is either tough, witty, seive, good/neutral, and hmmm...can THINK!

Really its sad how Activision covers up their failure at making a profit when most games are usually generic, bland, and shoverware written all over it. The reason why Dora or Barbie can only sale a few units is because they are displayed more than one place; TV, coloring books, toy ADs, and by mouth.

You will think my sister wants to play a generic game like Imagine:Teacher if she doesn't know who hell that character is? She might has more interest playing a game with Dora's face on it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show