pkmn breeder
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive just bought an acekard 2i from 'thehanger.org.uk'

and i was just checking out the acekard website for the firmware and software and noticed a section showing pictures of fake acekards (ones with square lumps on the from of the card under the sticker!!

it works fine, plays games fine, updates fine...

is it fake though? would rather have a legit!

has anyone else ever bought from this site???

cheers for the replies!

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
the search button is your friend. look for the topic from RealHotStuff

The search button is easily missable. Instead of wasting your time posting that, help the dude out.

And the only way to really check if it's a fake or not is to actually open it up and find out, or try running AKAIO 1.5.1. See what happens.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As mentioned - try the AKAIO software
If it runs - It's genuine
If it doesn't - It's Fake

The Pictures/Photos can't really be counted on too much as earlier ak2i were built the same way as the clones are now -

What with the
  • - Actel Chip
    - Hole in Shell
I should know as I have one of the earlier versions (I brought it ~2 weeks after they first came out) & it's possible you may've got an 'old stock' version of an acekard

IIRC - I think the sticker used on genuine ak's was suppose to be shiny/mirror like - while clones had a matt sticker (can't remember where I actually read that from - as it's not on the official page)

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Check the hardware - ID (what I heard)

It should be 41 if it is real (4141, no?)

Either help from akaio, or run a Updater app (either the language one or the DSi 1.4 updater app) - and then ONLY CHECK THE HW ID.

if it is not 4141 I say to NOT run the updater as your clone might be bricked - granted; I do not want you to break yours even if it is clone. (IF it is a clone)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
JereTHEend said:
Check the hardware - ID (what I heard) - It should be 41 if it is real (4141, no?)

Either help from akaio, or run a Updater app (either the language one or the DSi 1.4 updater app) - and then ONLY CHECK THE HW ID.
if it is not 4141 I say to NOT run the updater as your clone might be bricked - granted; I do not want you to break yours even if it is clone. (IF it is a clone)
Don't think that right - I've just checked using AKAIO (1.5.1) & it stating my acekard is 'HW: 44'

In fact 'HW:44' exist on acekards downloads site next to the 'AK2i update file for EUR/US DSi. Language issue solved.' links (as well as 'HW:81')

In the Acekard Fourms - a quick search shows there's been mentioned 'HW:41' and 'HW:80' as well
On another forum there also seems to be a 'HW:88'

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
CannonFoddr said:
JereTHEend said:
Check the hardware - ID (what I heard) - It should be 41 if it is real (4141, no?)

Don't think that right - I've just checked using AKAIO (1.5.1) & it stating my acekard is 'HW: 44'

In fact 'HW:44' exist on acekards downloads site next to the 'AK2i update file for EUR/US DSi. Language issue solved.' links (as well as 'HW:81')
In the Acekard Fourms - there's been mentioned 'HW:41' and 'HW:80' as well

Thanks...

I only remembered it was 40 something, and I knew my new Hardware is 81

so yeah, you are right, it should be 44 to be real (so 41 would mean a fake... or 80 etc.)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Been doing some more searching & found this article

Haven't gone through every page (yet) but put simply it seems that

Acekard 2.1 = HW:80 = True

Acekard 2i with Actel chip = HW:44 = True
Acekard 2i with Actel chip = HW:80 = Possible Fake (although it seems AKAIO still works with this version)

Acekard with 'new chip' = HW:81

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cheers for all the replies boys/girls!

i've checked out the card and come to the decision its just from an old batch, maybe the site i bought it from just has loads of old stock to ship out!!

And in reply to one of the first posts, yes AKAIO 1.5.1 does run fine on it, no problems at all thus far. Pretty slick software! Although i tired an update via wifi and nothing seemed to happen, i assume this is because i have the latest version. theres a couple of games which wont load, but i'll have to read through and sort them out!

Cheers for all the replied, i greatly appreciate it!!

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Rydian said:
THe two recent sonic games (racing and collection) won't work on the 2i yet, the update to fix that is pending.

Go to the main AKAIO menu and choose Help, it will show your hardware ID there.
They do now...

(yay normatt!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1